My 358Win Is Very, Very Consistent

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I have finished my load work for my 358Win Hawkeye pictured here.

IMG_8033.jpg

IMG_8035.jpg

IMG_8031.jpg

I was sighting it in today and as usual it shot extremely well for out of the box but it always has. I moved two click up and two clicks to the right and she is ready to go. The frist target is todays sight in target then some others that show the consistency of this rifle.

Todays target and load is 49grs AA2495BR, 225gr Sierra SBT, Winchester brass, 210 Fed primer, OAL 2.769"

IMG_8459.jpg

IMG_8051.jpg

IMG_8192.jpg

IMG_8194.jpg

Nice job bullet!
You have yourself a tack driving mid more hammer. Within 300 yds, you could hunt anything in NA with confidence. Congratulations on a nice looking rig.

JD338

JD338":249c3u2f said:
Nice job bullet!
You have yourself a tack driving mid more hammer. Within 300 yds, you could hunt anything in NA with confidence. Congratulations on a nice looking rig.

JD338

Thanks JD338, I will have a lot of fun with this rifle this fall. I will be working on 250yds, 300yds, 350, and 375yds practicing before this fall. If I hold on top of the shoulder of a deer size animal at 275yds I am good out to 375. I will be practicing this because I am taking this to Arizona and want to take a black bear this fall with the 358Win.

Very nice setup! Impressive accuracy, great looking rifle. I'd say you're set!

Wonderful, my friend. I love consistency in a gun.

Guy Miner":2k1jbxqf said:
Very nice setup! Impressive accuracy, great looking rifle. I'd say you're set!

Yes, it is ready to go

Nice shooting but I wish you would stop showing pictures of that beautiful rifle. Every time you do it sends me looking all over the internet to buy one!

owenv":u58x50u5 said:
Nice shooting but I wish you would stop showing pictures of that beautiful rifle. Every time you do it sends me looking all over the internet to buy one!

You could do worse and in 358Win I don't think you could do better than the Ruger M77 Hawkeye.

For all of those who might be interested, I will be developing soon an LBT 250gr Cast Paper Patch Load for the 358Win for big and Dangerous game that should give me 2400fps plus and this with out leading up the barrel.

There are advantages over standard jacketed bullets when using cast bullets. Not only in cost but in wound channel due to the flat nose of an non expanding bullet. This is a highly debated issue that I will not get into at the moment because so much is incorrectly understood about cast bullets much less jacketed bullets. I will start a new thread when I am finished with my research and load development and results of the effort. I will post pictures of the process and hope to be finished in time to use the paper patch cast LBT bullet on a bear hunt in Arizona in Oct. It will be November before I report so as not to leave anything undone or create any confusion.

Paper patch bullets are an art form in them selves. I didn't realize that modern calibers like the .358 would benefit beyond jacketed bullets. I am very interested in what you share on this.
Thank You
Greg

Greg Nolan":zbwlcvrx said:
Paper patch bullets are an art form in them selves. I didn't realize that modern calibers like the .358 would benefit beyond jacketed bullets. I am very interested in what you share on this.
Thank You
Greg

It will take time to get the things I need, setup, and do the load work using either a 225gr or 250gr LBT allowing me to reach velocities with the 225gr between 2550fps and 2600fps and with the proper LBT mold and bullet with correct hardness not have leading problems. That is why it will take me to sometime in November to publish anything because I would like to take game with the round as well.

Back