My 3K+ Goal with a Center-Grip XP-100

xphunter

Handloader
Sep 15, 2005
Stupid ELR Shooters (Sarcasm... đź’Ą ), gave me a bug to go past 3,000 yards with my XP-100's.
So, the journey has begun.
This week, I ordered a "Charlie"
Up to 860 MOA or 250 MILS
It is for all practical purposes a periscope
"The Charlie TARAC is a periscope that optically shifts your target image higher so you aim higher to compensate for bullet drop. The result is an optical, not mechanical, elevation gain to shoot beyond your scope’s travel."
Currently I have ordered mine to have 170 MOA, which will be short of my 3K MOA requirements.
I can then use my turrets and or reticle if needed, to add anymore MOA to get to 3K+
The 2 XP's below will be my primary pistols to get 3K+, but I have others in mind too.
I may try it with a 22 centerfire just for giggles in the future: 22 Creed or 22 GT

My 26 Nosler
QFacKFyl.jpg

My 7mm Dakota
sjqL3WLl.jpg

You certainly do use your handguns to their best advantage. Your reports and pictures do cause a fair amount of angst among those of us who don't own/shoot such fine instruments of precision. (y)

That quite the goal with sub .338 calibers. Do you have a fast enough twist to keep them stable through transonic?
Good luck , hope it works outđź‘Ť

I have shot the Dak beyond 2K already with good accuracy.
Will redo load development with the 26 (currently the 147 ELD-M), and use the 153.5 Berger. We have shot it out to 1600 yards or so with no problem.
Plus, I have shot way beyond transonic in the past with decent success.

I think I will...
You never know until you try.

This will allow me to shoot to 1000 yards with a couple of my 22lr pistols too!

You certainly do use your handguns to their best advantage. Your reports and pictures do cause a fair amount of angst among those of us who don't own/shoot such fine instruments of precision. (y)
Thank You!
These specialty pistols do not have the amount of disadvantages that many people think.
If anyone is in my neck of the woods (well, not really a wooded area), they can shoot some of these SP's themselves.
FWIW-I have seen some very fine rifles on this forum.

Ernie, any reason you're going with a center grip over a rear? Other than thats the ones you have?
If you were to have a new one built what would you choose and why?

Impressive results and efforts. Just amazing to think that those pistols (and you) are capable of taking those animals. CL

Ernie, any reason you're going with a center grip over a rear? Other than thats the ones you have?
If you were to have a new one built what would you choose and why?
Center Grip is what I started with in the XP-100.
Center Grip is harder.
Center Grip is what I typically use for hunting.

I would probably stay with 7mm for this distance.
Rear-Grip would be easier consistent tracking.

The “easy button” would be my rear grip 375 Chey-Tac specialty pistol.
Currently shooting the 352 Cutting Edge at 2808 fps.
With the 352 it takes over 30 MOA less for 3K compared to the two above.
If I jump to the 400 grain class CE, everything gets easier in terms of ballistics, but recoil jumps too.
Everything is a trade off

This was the first time I did drop confirmations at 1000 yards with my seven Dakota. You’ll see me make my first shot in the neck area, and I say I’m gonna drop down, but I decide to confirm my shot to make sure that’s where it’s hitting and it shot side-by-side, then I dropped it down and shot two more. That is how tight this gun shoots
B7F20552-FEDE-4F1F-A94A-C3D2C608C9FA.jpeg

Back