My 6.5-284 Norma arrived

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
Nothing fancy - Savage 116 24" 1x8 twist. Going to put Vortex Viper HSLR 4x16 on it. Lapua brass and Redding dies on the way.

I do believe you will enjoy this. Has enough barrel length to wring out the cartridge. You've chosen a fine scope. Congratulations!

That sounds like a sweet package, should be a great set-up.

What bullets are you going to try? the 1:8 should give you a lot of possibilities. (y)

The Timney trigger arrived and it when in - in just a few minutes. Easy to adjust and I sure do like it. Nothing wrong with the Accu-Trigger, I just have troubles going back and forth between Accu trigger and a standard trigger. If I owned only Savages then this wouldn't be an issue.

BTW - set target at 30- 35yds to shoot some bullets and clean / break in the barrel. RL26 and the 142gn ABLR. I loaded 56gns thru 60(which I found out is over). 56 - 58 no visable pressure signs and all bullets into the same ragged hole (it better at 35yds). I put in the 60 and it sounded wrong, felt wrong and thru the bullet 2" off the others. Shot a 58 and back into the same hole again. The 60 had all the classic pressure signs. Flat primmer with a cratering fireing pin hole, stiff bolt lift and pull. I re-ran QL with the proper OAL and see that 58gn is actually pushing it.
I will start with 57 and make some loads with different OAL. I can reach the lands but will only have about .140" of the neck on the shank of the bullet. With .265" of neck on the shank I'm .130" off the lands. I'm going to start with that since this gun is for hunting. If I go any less it leaves so much bullet out of the case I'm worried about the run-out by the loads just getting bumped around.
Any thoughts on "How little of neck on shank woudl be safe?"

When I tried the 6.5/284 it was still a wildcat ( '90s). I necked down 284 WW cases. Later on, the Hornady and Norma cases became available. I found that I couldn't get the velocity from them as I did that Lot of WW 284 brass. No big deal, but it was almost 50fps difference! I could safely get 3200 with the WW cases and around 3150 with the Norma/Hornady. with the 120/125s. I never tried heavier as it was on a short action and I was experimenting for deer, etc. I really enjoyed that rifle with the 120/125s on deer/antelope, exotics. I met a guide up here who uses a long range rig in 6.5/284 and 140 Berger's for his clients on elk. Where he hunts they hang out past a 1/4 mile until snow drives them down. Few of his clients have ever shot at game over 300 and aren't set up for it. His rifle is heavy, the scope is big and the shots are easy to make with his coaching them. when I got there, they had just shot a cow over 600yds with it. Sweet.

Back