My 7mm AM

Ridge_Runner

Handloader
Sep 29, 2006
is in need of a new barrel, whats the skinny on barrel makers today, who's your favorite and why?It has a lilja 9 twist on it currently, after approximately 600 rounds accuracy has dropped off, could setit back but don't think it will last long, it burns 110 gr of very slow burning powder every time it goes bang. wanna get it back up and running by next deer season
RR

My 280AI has a Hart barrel. My gunsmith uses Hart due to the consistent bore diameter.
Accuracy has been stellar and clean up is a snap.

JD338

FWIW, OU812 sent a Lilja barrel and action to my gunsmith to have a 338 O'Brian (338 Edge Improved) built up. He told me that that Lilja barrel was the smoothest barrel he had ever seen. And it was a shooter too.
I would keep Lilja on the short list.

JD338

Lilja, Hart, Krieger all on the time-proven list. I haven't tried a barrel from newer makers.

I tend towards Krieger because of my perception - and that might be all it is - that the accuracy goes slowly, instead of going to pieces all at once. Have also had great performance from a Hart, that was set back at least once. Maybe more... Can't remember. It was one heck of a barrel though.

Sure you don't want to set it back? Might be a lot of life left in that rascal, although you're burning GOBS of powder! :grin:

Guy

I would except these big jugs once the throat starts to go the rifling also erodes, a buddy just had his shot out 300 rum bore scoped, the rifling was eroded 5" up the barrel, will keep the barrel in case I ever want a 22" heavy varmint barrel in a 7mm.
RR

I would do a Bartlein or Krieger if it was me. Brux makes really good barrels too I just haven't used a lot of them. If you look at the 1000yd benchrest equipment list it will tell you the most consistently accurate barrels there are. Krieger and Broughton are the most popular with Bartlein and a few others after that at the PA 1000yd club. Overall I've had the best luck with cut rifled barrels.

Benchmark is first on my list these days then Bartlein and the those mentioned by others.

Scott

muleman":2d0si6lt said:
Benchmark is first on my list these days then Bartlein and the those mentioned by others.

Scott

Yup!

no prices on benchmarks web site, how do their prices compare to lilja and kreiger?
RR

Click on "Distributors" . 3rd Generation has them listed at $295 for nonfluted stainless and $395 for fluted stainless. Best deal for an A+ barrel. My 28Nosler is shooting consistently at .5MOA.

Scott

I'll second Bartlien, thats what I rebarreled my 25-06 with, only 40 rds down the tube so far but cleans like a breeze, and shoots well. they have what in inventory on their home page,.Also www.bugholes.com carries high end barrels that your looking for..

Ridge_Runner":2tmeabc9 said:
is in need of a new barrel, whats the skinny on barrel makers today, who's your favorite and why?It has a lilja 9 twist on it currently, after approximately 600 rounds accuracy has dropped off, could setit back but don't think it will last long, it burns 110 gr of very slow burning powder every time it goes bang. wanna get it back up and running by next deer season
RR

If AM stands for Allen Mag I'd give Kirby a call as he still using Lilja barrels @ 30" for the 7AM.

Again if it is AM you may not gain much over what you got with the Lilja and you may want to talk who's barrel your going to use and see what they say.

Kirby now says he is having best results with bartlein, so I'm leaning that way
RR

Ridge_Runner":1zmsnkbu said:
RR

Kirby should know what's best. He's build lot of rifles with those Lilja barrels so must of been something pretty big happened to make him change.

I've got couple Bartlein now both are 5r's. I haven't done much With Lilja as my last build use Rock Creek barrel and they only do 5r barrels. I've had pretty good luck With Broughton barrels there up in Wisconsin also. Most all those guys learned from Obermeyer or from someone who learned from him. Well good luck.

Ridge_Runner":20knnwz9 said:
RR

Almost never hear of someone who is disappointed with Bartlein.

I've used about 30 Bartlein's in the last couple years for builds and myself and all have shot exceptionally well. Sub 3/8" groups is the norm and many of them are sub 1/4".

The last three Bartlein's I've had all shot extremely well, and most of the pros use them now more then any other. This is not to say Lilja, Hart, Krieger or Shilen aren't as good, and I've owned all of them, even Douglas and Pac-Nor.

Bartlein has just been the barrel of choice for me ever since shooting them.

Back