My buddy Frank's 6.5-47 Lapua

DrMike, I think we've got suckered by that idiot. I'm glad Fotis got rid of him.

I agree, Rommel. By his sixth post I had him on my ignore list. I don't need to read anyone slamming good people. I've come to trust most of the people posting on this site as knowledgeable and willing to learn from others. I have no desire to read after some idiot who needs to build himself by attacking others.

Desert Fox":2ft98xw1 said:
This particular Browning however is much older than the other two and has 6 lugs like a Mini Weatherby MK V. The action has 60 degree bolt lift and cycle really smooth. The trigger is superb also.

Huh, didn't know they made a six-bolt version. I thought all the A-Bolts were three luggers. Learn something new every day.

BK":2jlxnny4 said:
Desert Fox":2jlxnny4 said:
This particular Browning however is much older than the other two and has 6 lugs like a Mini Weatherby MK V. The action has 60 degree bolt lift and cycle really smooth. The trigger is superb also.

Huh, didn't know they made a six-bolt version. I thought all the A-Bolts were three luggers. Learn something new every day.
I'll take that back. Actually it has 9 lugs.

DSC02063.jpg

DSC02064.jpg

Night force is mounted so bullet will be flying tomorrow.

DSC02062.jpg

reconnoiter, your not the chubby kid that works at scheels are you? you sound just like him.

He will not be answering but if I had to guess I'd say he is from Alaska. :wink:

Went to the range yesterday to see how the new 6.5-47 Lapua perform. Frank and I were not disappointed. The rifle shoot great as expected, even though the wind was gusting about 12 to 15 miles an hour, buffeting our target.

Here's a ten shot group at 110 yards. 130 grain Berger Match VLD, 40 grains of H-4350 clocked at 2,850 ft/sec average.

DSC02067.jpg

That is some great shooting, Rommel. That rifle is a true shooter.

As would I! Man what can happen when you have a great gun huh?

Outstanding, but of course we expect no less!!! Great shooting, !

Thanks Elkman.
My buddy Frank did all the shooting. I just spotted for him. Not bad for the guy that don't shoot often - He is a natural.

40.5 grain of H4350 at 2868 fps still no sign of pressure. Here's the result of the shooting today. Franks rifle already tells me what it wants.

5 shot group at 110 yards.

DSC02087.jpg

10 shot group

DSC02088.jpg

Not sure how many shot went in here.

DSC02089.jpg

DF, that is some awesome shooting. That 6.5x47 is tearing it up around here. Is that with a 140 weight bullet?

Man, what a combo. Not a whole lotta load work left to do there eh?

SJB358":3pm0ag9e said:
DF, that is some awesome shooting. That 6.5x47 is tearing it up around here. Is that with a 140 weight bullet?

Man, what a combo. Not a whole lotta load work left to do there eh?
130 grain Berger VLD. I loaded 50 rounds for Frank to play with today.

I'm still finalizing my load for my 6.5-47. My Krieger is a slow barrel when compared with Franks Hart. I can only do 2830 fps. I got as close as 2875 fps with 42.2 but shows pressure sign. I might re-visit IMR4350. I had some loaded on a once fired brass at 40.5 grains that got to 2818 with no signs of pressure. I will jack it up another half a grain and see what kind of pressure I'm gonna get.

Rommel, those are enviable groups, to be certain. Fine groups you are presenting.

DF -
Have you tried R17 yet? A couple guys I spoke with last week said they have made the switch from 4350 to R17. Seems there are some rifles that like it, but the pressure curve can come up really fast if you aren't watching for the pressure signs.

The other question is; what is the number of grooves in your barrel? Everything I have been reading says that the number of grooves can play a role in whether the barrel is fast or slow.

Back