My Custom Pre-64 270 Win Is Home!

EOD Diver

Handloader
Dec 30, 2011
She's here! Just picked her up! Sorry it took me a little, as I have to post pics with the phone and write on the computer. Anyway, here are the details:

Pre-64 M70 action blueprinted by Bartlein
Original trigger blueprinted by Ed LaPour and is 2.75 lbs
Standard sporter 24" 1-9 twist 5R CM barrel by Bartlein
English walnut is a blank I picked up from Dressel's
Bottom metal is Williams
Engraving is by Robert Evans
Stock by Al Lind is glass and pillar bedded with ribbons at 24 LPI
Metal work by Ed LaPour
Bolt checkering by Bruce Farman

Ever since I started reading about my hero Jack O'Connor a long time ago, I always dreamed of having that one go to custom rifle, like his No. 1 and No. 2 rifles that he hunted with around the world. This last deployment was a long one and I managed to save up a nickel or two for the project. Don't worry guys, no primo pre-64 actions were harmed in the making of this project. The donor I found at Cabelas' was in sad shape and I'm certain she is happy to have been cleaned up and brought back to pristine condition. While I don't think I'll ever hunt outside the US like Jack, I do plan to tote this thing around until I'm old, gray and a whole lot more crusty. Frank at Bartlein thought that a 1-9 twist would work well with the 150 ABLRs that I plan to shoot out of it. Mr. Evans, the engraver, is an Army veteran and as nice as they come. He made my engraving ideas of an EOD crab, diving bubble and compass rose a reality. Ed LaPour is an amazing gunsmith and has forgotten more about pre-64 M70 rifles than I will ever know. They say the devil is in the details and if you saw all the little tricks he put into making this action perfect, it would blow your mind. Finally, I don't have words kind enough to express my gratitude to Mr. Al Lind. Al flew many a combat mission over Vietnam and, like many, returned home to a less than welcoming reception. Both he and the late Don Allen, founder of Dakota Arms, were friends and civilian pilots here in the Pacific Northwest that went on to have a profound influence on custom gunmaking. To tip a cold one and listen to his stories is to hear gunmaking history. Mr. Lind is a gentlemen of the first rate and I'm proud to call him my friend. I hope I can put him on some ducks later this year.
Now I just need to pick up some Nosler brass. It shot so well my 300 Win Mag Legacy that I wouldn't dream of starting with anything else. I've got plenty of primers, but wish that I could start with the Federal Gold Medal Match stuff from the good old days. Finding them is like finding a Yeti, hen's teeth, or a unicorn, but at least I've got a solid supply of 150 ABLRs, RL 22 and IMR 7828ssc. Cross your fingers guys, cause I've got some load work to do!

Take Care,

Joe

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 778
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 777
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 776
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 776
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 776
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 776
If it shoots half as good as it looks you will be one happy guy. That is definitely an outstanding gun, congrats :)

That came out very attractive, Joe. Beautifully done. Congratulations.

Super nice job on that rifle, Joe. You should get decades of enjoyment shooting and just looking at that fine rifle. I have owned and used my 1949 Super Grade custom Pre 64 Model 70 since 1973 and I am still enjoying it. Terrific job on that rifle, enjoy!

Joe! That is real good looking buddy. Great work on the build. That is a very cool bunch of folks you had working on that Winchester! 1st Class the whole way..

I can't wait to hear how it shoots..

We are grateful for your service and glad your deployment reached a safe and successful conclusion. An outstanding rifle put together by an all-star crew. With the insignia you've chosen I'm sure it already elicits memories of teammates, excursions, close-calls and pranks. The hunting memories you will add to it will be icing on the cake.

Congratulations.

Hegland":2olzzu06 said:
We are grateful for your service and glad your deployment reached a safe and successful conclusion. An outstanding rifle put together by an all-star crew. With the insignia you've chosen I'm sure it already elicits memories of teammates, excursions, close-calls and pranks. The hunting memories you will add to it will be icing on the cake.

Congratulations.

I was going to try and say something similar, but I'm sure it wouldn't have turned out as well. Thank you for your service, and that's one heck of a rifle!

She's a beaut alright! Very nice, Joe.

I'm sure that if ol' Jack were here, he would whole heartedly approve.

WWWWWWWOW!!!! That is just a sweetheart of a rifle Joe! Great job putting that one together.

Absolutley breathtaking.

Awesome!

That is my idea of perfection. If I had to answer the question "what is your idea of the ultimate rifle?" or "if you could have only one...?" I'd answer with the photos of that. I'd choose a different cartridge, but it would likely be based on the '06 also. Stunning, gorgeous, supremely elegant...wow.

I guess I'd have to just accept the fact that when it gets used, it's gonna get dinged. I'm not sure I can get next to that idea!

Joe,

Do you need someone to work with that rifle? You know, just to ensure that it shoots well and whatever? I'm volunteering, even if it is a .270. :grin: Man, it is stimulating me to get going on my next objet d'art.

That is iconic as it goes. Very very nice. Really like the personal touches in the engraving.

Back