Here We Go!

Joe,

Are you a MDSU diver? No worries, just wondered.

Congrats--sounds like I'm doing something pretty similar, even a Bartlein #2, but mine's a Claro Fiddleback for a 30-06. Had I bought a .270 before a 30-06 I would probably never look back, but it was the other way around. Pretty much no way to talk me into a .270 when I have everything for 30-06 already.

Yours sounds awesome, though. Any pics of the wood blank? I probably missed the thread.

v/r
Joel

Go for it Joel and don't look back. It will be one of your favorite rifles regardless of caliber and there are no flies on the .30-06!

Oldtrader3":34zbgfdp said:
Go for it Joel and don't look back. It will be one of your favorite rifles regardless of caliber and there are no flies on the .30-06!

Thanks! I just couldn't stop thinking I should go with the 30-06 over the 25-06. No flies on the 25, but I kept thinking if I want less recoil I'll just shoot 150 PTs. If a 150 will kill elk cleanly out of a .270, surely thy would out of a 30-06 also. And a 150 PT moving at 2950 will kill deer without comment.

Joel,
I'm not currently attached to a MDSU. Congrats on your build. It sounds like it's going to be one bad dude! Did you go with 5R on the barrel? Are you going to do the stock yourself and do you have any pics? I'm about in the same boat as you with regard to the 06/.270. Both are great classic rounds that have more than proven their worth. I'm afraid I don't have any pics of the blank or barreled action. I managed to swing by Mr. Lind's yesterday and about fell over when I saw how the stock is coming together. As one of the founding members of the ACGG, his work speaks for itself and he's about as nice as they come. It's really cool hearing his stories about hunting with his late friend Don Allen and some of his experiences as a fighter pilot in Vietnam. His trophy collection is pretty impressive too.
Joe

Joe,

Yes, a 5R barrel. I'm not sure Bartlein even makes other barrels any more, but I could be wrong. I've had a previous Bartlein that shot well, and I'm sure this one will also.

I have tried to make myself a stock before. It was an interesting project...and that's why I'm having Robert Szweda do the stock work. Here's his web page: http://customstockmaker.com

I have pics of the wood blank, but I'm still waiting on the barrel, so no stock pics.

Here's the blank (bottom blank in both pictures):

I visited the MDSU in Hawaii this past fall. Very cool mission those guys do.

v/r
Joel

Damn Joel, that's one very nice blank! Bartlein was true to their word and I had my new barrel in about 8 months. Are you having them blue print the action and screw on the pipe? Frank recommended a 1-9 twist on mine when I explained that I intended to shoot the 150 ABLR out of it. Are you going to run the factory bottom metal?
Joe

Joe, I'm having a smith do the barrel install before I send it to the stockmaker. The smith is Lee Christianson; he does most of his work on Model 70s, though he works on other actions also. I'll have Lee true the action and install the barrel with a 1-inch shank/exposed cylinder out of the front of the action.

I ordered an 11-twist, 30 cal barrel. According to the Berger twist calculator it should give me enough twist for the 190 ABLR, but I probably won't shoot the ABLR anyway. I have roughly 450 180-Partitions sitting on my shelf, about another 250 150-Partitions, and 800 or so 155 Custom Competitions. I think I'm good on bullets, and by the time I shoot those up between my synthetic stocked 30-06 and this one, it would probably be time for another barrel anyway. The ABLRs are an interesting concept, but Partitions are fine out to 400 or 500 yards--twice as far as I've shot at any big game animal.

I am going to use PTG Oberndorf bottom metal. I have it sitting here, still in the white. It's definitely heavier than the Win Featherweight bottom metal, but the WFBM is half aluminum. I can't have aluminum blued or case colored (still haven't decided!).

Was that 8 months for Bartlein to make the barrel, or make the barrel and do the install also? Do you send it off to the stockmaker now?

Looks like a couple of terrific projects you guys. Great taste in cartridges, actions, barrels and wood! Top notch, all the way around.

Heg,
Thank you. It has been a lot of fun putting this together in my head. Al is almost finished with my stock so I'll be sending it off to Ed Lapour to build up the bolt release and checker the bolt handle.

BT

Joel,
Nothing wrong with partitions. They're the gold standard by which all others are judged. The PTG stuff is very nice and I like the Oberndorf configuration too. I went with Williams, but only because I spoke with him and really liked what he had to say. The 8 months at Bartlein was for the complete install/blueprint. I can't wait to see how this thing shoots, but I guess I'm going to have to.....
Joe

EOD Diver":3k2obc89 said:
Heg,
Thank you. It has been a lot of fun putting this together in my head. Al is almost finished with my stock so I'll be sending it off to Ed Lapour to build up the bolt release and checker the bolt handle.

BT

Joel,
Nothing wrong with partitions. They're the gold standard by which all others are judged. The PTG stuff is very nice and I like the Oberndorf configuration too. I went with Williams, but only because I spoke with him and really liked what he had to say. The 8 months at Bartlein was for the complete install/blueprint. I can't wait to see how this thing shoots, but I guess I'm going to have to.....
Joe

Joe, I cannot imagine how well your rifle is going to shoot. Matter of fact, I know how busy you are as a Naval Officer, so if I can help you out as a good Marine Staff NCO, I would gladly assist you with break in and load development!

SJB358":npc9j2jc said:
Joe, I cannot imagine how well your rifle is going to shoot. Matter of fact, I know how busy you are as a Naval Officer, so if I can help you out as a good Marine Staff NCO, I would gladly assist you with break in and load development!

That Scotty, so considerate and all heart. :mrgreen: Man, you should see some of the offers he has made, Joe. :grin:

DrMike":nopi5agb said:
SJB358":nopi5agb said:

That Scotty, so considerate and all heart. :mrgreen: Man, you should see some of the offers he has made, Joe. :grin:

Just trying to do my part Mike...

Scotty,
Now that's the kind of outstanding attitude I expect from my senior enlisted personnel! I appreciate the offer, but think I can handle this one. Will you be heading to Idaho again this year for elk? Are you going to take your faithful old .338 Win Mag along again as your primary? Last I checked, she was pretty dialed in with the AccuBond.

BT

Doc,
In all your adventures, have you ever tipped over a moose or two with the .338?

Joe

Joe, us Marine Master Sergeants will go the extra mile to make sure the Naval Officer Corps has the best!

HA!

I am headed to Oregon this Fall with Bill Casey. We are going to tear em up this year. 2011 was a rehearsal, this year is the real deal. Oh, the 338 Win Mag is going. It is designated THE ELK RIFLE until something better takes it place. I am pretty sure it won't happen soon though. I have way too much love for that rifle...

At the Doc's age, he'll be lucky if he remembers what he had for breakfast Joe! He's forgotten about more moose than us youngins will ever see! :lol:

Never used a 338 WM in the bush. I used a 338 Federal last fall to topple a moose. I used a 7RM for many years, and a .356 Win. More recently, I used the 300WSM and the 325WSM quite a bit for moose. I honestly can't remember all that I have used on moose as the cartridges do tend to get mixed up somewhat.

DrMike":1xwwf5vb said:
Never used a 338 WM in the bush. I used a 338 Federal last fall to topple a moose. I used a 7RM for many years, and a .356 Win. More recently, I used the 300WSM and the 325WSM quite a bit for moose. I honestly can't remember all that I have used on moose as the cartridges do tend to get mixed up somewhat.

And for reference, I was just messing with you Mike. I wished I knew half the info you have pushed through your brain housing group! :lol:

Scotty,
As an OCS graduate, you'll be happy to know that I was thoroughly crushed by some of your cohorts. Day one of meeting our DI, he asked: "Where are my Spec Wars and Spec Ops?" We stepped forward, he smiled, explaining how nice it must be to be considered special. "Alright boys, I got your name, I got your number. It's game on!" Some of those MCD/Sniper Instructors could really bring the pain. I also found out all about the South's fire ants in a hurry. Glad you're making it out to Oregon for elk and that sweet .338 of yours will be going with you!
Joe

Back