My Custom Pre-64 270 Win Is Home!

Guys,
Thank you for the kind words. I really appreciate it. Someway, somehow I was selected into the Navy EOD program. It has been the most rewarding career choice I could have ever made. I have been blessed to work with the Navy's finest sailors, doing a job that I love and believe in, and make a decent living at it. I'm very grateful and I wanted a rifle to reflect that. Besides, looking at the rifle will bring a smile to my face and help to soften the blow when I don't fill a tag ; ).
I usually run Leupold scopes on my rifles. Their quality and customer service are top notch and they're really good about supporting military and law enforcement shooters. The balance of the rifle is so nice that I don't want to screw it up with a large objective bell or go to a heavier 30mm tube. I enjoy shooting long range, especially with a wood stocked sporter rifle that's not supposed to be as accurate as a purpose built LR rig, so I'd like a little more than 9X on top for punching paper and shooting far. A ballistic turret for accurate windage and a graduated horizontal wire for wind holds would be nice. But, you guys know that a lot of elk are killed up close in the timber so I'd like to keep the bottom magnification down low too. With all that said, I'm thinking of a scope that starts with S fits the bill nicely, but COMNAVWIFEPAC will ultimately dictate my choice. Thank goodness she is very patient and forgiving of my love of rifles. Doc, thanks for the offer to get her all squared away for me, but I'm afraid the required amount of customs paperwork prevents me from shipping her off to you. Take care all and thanks again.

Heck yeah Joe, that sounds like a great idea for a scope. That sounds like it would be an excellent addition to your rifle. Plus, their 3-10's are very light for their mag range and should look perfect atop your 270. Man, that is going to be a sweet looking rifle when you have it all set up..

My good friend/boss who is battling Sarcoma spent 12 years in Navy EOD, and I have considered trying out for it after my time in the Corps.

Had to chuckle at the COMNAVWIFEPAC. I cant stay out of trouble when it comes to guns and such with my sig. other.

Let us know what scope you ultimately choose. A swarovski with a turret or even a zeiss with turret may fit the bill nice. I know Zeiss has a prodeal we get access to for serving. Swaro may offer one, not sure on that end

Welcome back and have a nice holiday

Joe that us one very Sweeeet little women :wink: she is going to be your main squeeze for many years to come :mrgreen:.
Thank you for sharing such a beautiful piece!!!

Blessings,
Dan

Joe,

I used a .280 Remington topped with a Swarovski Z6, 1.7-10X42 to drop a nice muley buck this afternoon. I have several of these scopes, and I can't say enough good things about them.

I am a Leupold man myself and am perfectly satisfied with what I have, but I have to say that if I was to ever acquire a rifle that nice, I'd be thinking "S" myself. Excellent choices on your part all the way around!

AJ, I pray your friend beats that sarcoma. One of the best Techs I've had the pleasure of working with was a prior Marine. He was an absolute professional, as solid as the Rock of Gibralter and a true asset to the team. I wish you the best of luck if you decide to screen for Navy EOD and can say that there is no other job like it.
BT
Doc, congratulations on that buck. That 280 is stacking them up like cord wood and that glass on top of it really compliments it well.
BT
RR, you can count me among the many that are Leupold men. That said, I've been seduced by the Z5 3.5-18 BT. I found a deal (if you can even call it that) on one for Black Friday and pulled the trigger. It's light, has great optics, adjustable elevation, horizontal stadia for wind holds, and should look pretty perched on top of the rifle. 18 power is a little more than I need on top, but they don't offer the BT on smaller scopes (40mm obj.) and it still weighs in under a pound.
BT
Dan, thank you for the compliment. I appreciate it buddy. I think this rifle and I will make music for years to come. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Take Care,

Joe

EOD Diver":1veitys0 said:
I found a deal (if you can even call it that) on one for Black Friday and pulled the trigger.
I have no doubt it will be an excellent scope. Great pick and enjoy!

BK":afdeq3pb said:
Hegland":afdeq3pb said:
We are grateful for your service and glad your deployment reached a safe and successful conclusion. An outstanding rifle put together by an all-star crew. With the insignia you've chosen I'm sure it already elicits memories of teammates, excursions, close-calls and pranks. The hunting memories you will add to it will be icing on the cake.

Congratulations.

I was going to try and say something similar, but I'm sure it wouldn't have turned out as well. Thank you for your service, and that's one heck of a rifle!

+1 on all that! You just built my dream rifle (maybe different insignias, that's all) :)
EE2

WOW! That is a perfect scope Joe. Talk about the total package right there! Congrats on having such an awesome set up! Man, can't wait to hear what that rifle does on the range.

Great find but now you will spend vast quantities of money upgrading your other optics!! Gotta love great glass!

Well guys, I got my scope and put it in my usual Talley one piece low rings. Unfortunately, the ocular bell on the Swarovski scope is pretty dang big so the bolt handle comes in contact with it when cycling the bolt. Guess it's time for some medium height mounts if I'm going to make this work. Couldn't help but load up 15 150 ABLRs to start my load development. I'm going to start with a 0.050" jump and a little RL 22. Keep those fingers crossed....
Joe

EOD Diver":3rini9vl said:
Well guys, I got my scope and put it in my usual Talley one piece low rings. Unfortunately, the ocular bell on the Swarovski scope is pretty dang big so the bolt handle comes in contact with it when cycling the bolt. Guess it's time for some medium height mounts if I'm going to make this work. Couldn't help but load up 15 150 ABLRs to start my load development. I'm going to start with a 0.050" jump and a little RL 22. Keep those fingers crossed....
Joe

Nice, are you dealing with Talley Customer Service Joe? Great folks, I am a huge Talley believer and they take care of their customers. Make sure you let Talley know your a Sailor, they offer a good discount.

What powder are you using for your first run in the 270?

That sounds like some serious glass, Joe. I admit that I'm just a little surprised that lows didn't work for you. I haven't run mediums on any of my Model 70s yet, and they almost all wear European glass--several wearing Swarovskis. Talleys are the rings I use preferentially.

Great work of art there Joe. Question for you:

Were you able to have Bartlein duplicate the original shape of the pre-64 barrel and use the old stock? I am going to re-barrel a pre-64 and want to keep the "bulge" in the barrel where the rear sight was on the barrel.

Back