My First African Safari

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
I guess since this thread was created exclusively for African Hunting, I'll re-post my pictures here and at the same time attached the official scoring for each animal.

As expected my Kudu did score high (Gold)

Rommel002.jpg

AfricanSafari128-1.jpg

The Impala and Warthog both scored bronze

Rommel001.jpg

AfricanSafari090.jpg

Rommel-1.jpg

AfricanSafari118.jpg

Franks Waterbuck and mountain Redbuck both scored silver

Frank001.jpg

AfricanSafari160.jpg

Frank.jpg

AfricanSafari106.jpg

We're still waiting for Franks Impala to be scored

AfricanSafari010.jpg

George Red Hartebeest didn't quite make it to a minimum score

AfricanSafari225.jpg

DF, looks like you guys had a great hunt. That Kudu is a monster. His tips look worn down from age, he is or was a great old bull. The base mass of his horns is very thick. Are you mounting them? If you are hope you have a very very high ceiling. Good going DF.
Russ

russ808":1hxbgsp1 said:
DF, looks like you guys had a great hunt. That Kudu is a monster. His tips look worn down from age, he is or was a great old bull. The base mass of his horns is very thick. Are you mounting them? If you are hope you have a very very high ceiling. Good going DF.
Russ

Yes Russ! the Kudu sure was old. The PH told me that the bull was about 11 years old. I have it shoulder mount but I have no place for it in my house at the moment. The highest ceiling I have is in the entry way and I don't think my wife want's the Kudu there. :grin:

DF

What a hunt, beautiful trophies. Congratulations.

JD338

Desert Fox - great hunt! Thanks for posting those photos again. My son and I were just looking over the photos - we're both very impressed with the kudu, impala and those itty-bitty, tusks on the warthog!

Congratulations! Guy

Guy Miner":gvwqldc9 said:
Desert Fox - great hunt! Thanks for posting those photos again. My son and I were just looking over the photos - we're both very impressed with the kudu, impala and those itty-bitty, tusks on the warthog!

Congratulations! Guy

Thanks Guy! Each of those animal were truely special. Africa was a unique experienced for me!!! and so is everyone else that were fortunate enough to make it there. Now I know why sportsman keep on coming back. The day of our departure, we met a gentleman and his wife from Oregon. He was on his sixth Safari. Tom had already taken several plains games including a lion. He was going after Caracal this time, which can only be hunted at night. He told me that he would have never thought of coming back after his first Safari and here he was on his 6th trip. My friend Frank is already planning for next year. I'll tell you, Africa gets in your blood! DF

Also encouraging to see that much of the game there can be reliably taken by our normal deer & elk rifles, .30-06 & 7mm Rem mag, w/good bullets.

I'm reading all this Africa stuff, and trying to figure out how to set aside enough cash for a trip there with my son... Working on it. I think it would be a great experience!

My buddy Frank just informed me that our heads will be arriving tomorrow by air from RSA. With luck it will be hanging in our walls by Wednesday. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

I can just imagine that you are excited. Congratulations, again. Some fine looking animals, and undoubtedly some great memories.

Back