My hunting partners 300wm

IdahoCTD

Handloader
Nov 4, 2004
I just got my hunting partners gun done about a week ago and have been trying to finalize loads so he can start banging some steel with me and get more comfortable shooting. BTW he was shooting a Browning BAR last year and would have been lucky to hit a pie plate at 300yds with it. I went out this morning with 77grs of H-1000, 77.5grs of H-1000, and 74grs of R-26. The 75grs of R-26 I tried last time had some ejector marks so I backed it down to 74 and I think it's still too hot but it shot good and he smacked my 12x12 plate twice at 625yds with it. I'll try to focus on the 77grs of H-1000 load. I didn't even shoot the 77.5gr load since the 77gr load was showing me all of the pressure signs I wanted to see. I shot the one shot out of the group with H-1000 first and adjusted the scope a bit before shooting the rest. Both groups are in the .26-.27" range.

He ordered a Zeiss HD5 5x25 and right out of the box it wouldn't hardly focus. He sent it back to Zeiss and they are sending him a new scope. That is the first out of the box failure I've seen with a scope. I do like the Varmint reticle a lot better than the one I have with the standard duplex.

Attachments

• CQ300wm74grsR26.jpg
    CQ300wm74grsR26.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 664
  • CQ300wm77grsH1000.jpg
    CQ300wm77grsH1000.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 664
Wow, it looks like it will shoot!

That should be a hammer.

Picture of the rifle?

Here are a couple pictures of his and one with my different colored clone in 300wsm. His is a Remington 700 SS action, Bartlein 3b contour (same as a #5 from the other makers), Jewell trigger, McMillan Game Scout stock, Kampfeld Hunter bolt knob, and one of my Lil Beast brakes. The only difference between our guns is mine is a Brux #5 and the color of the stock. Minus bipod they both weigh about 10.25lbs scoped.

They are both getting fluted bolts and Cerakoted in the next couple weeks.

Attachments

• 300wmand300wsm.jpg
    300wmand300wsm.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 647
  • CQ300wm.jpg
    CQ300wm.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 647
  • CQ300wm2.jpg
    CQ300wm2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 647
BTW his gun has 48 rounds down the barrel now including 10 or so shooting at steel and I doubt I'll have to do much more, if anything, with the loads. It was a bit more finicky then my 300wsm, as I think I was done at about 30-35 rounds, but still pretty easy stuff. That's why I build custom rifles with top end barrels. Now I can spend the rest of the $$ and time I would of spent on load development banging steel or testing bullets on critters.

Handsome rifles, to be certain. Great to see that your work has come together so quickly.

Nice rifles Nathan. Weight doesn't seem horrible at all either. I'd imagine with a 3 or 4 contour and 24" barrel they could be even lighter too. Thank you for posting the pictures.

They shoot awesome as well. Can't argue with that. Great components.

A #4 contour at 24" would drop the weight to just over 9.5lbs. If you did a edge fill on the stock you could go down another 5 or 6 ounces probably. Personally I like to drop weight everywhere but the barrel. It is the single most important part of a rifles accuracy. IMO slightly muzzle heavy guns are better in the wind and offhand. A person could go to a slightly lighter scope too but your pinching ounces there. A 10.25lb rifle is light enough for me to carry a lot of miles without much effort.

BTW PTG just got in some 3.110" ID mag boxes for the Remington short actions. If they would of had those when I started this I might of built my 300wsm on a SA which would of saved nearly 1/2lb in weight. I'd have to seat the bullets nearly .150" deeper and I'd probably lose a bit of velocity but it would be shorter and lighter. If I ever get my barrel I will probably be doing a 270wsm on a SA and will use that mag box to seat the heavy VLD's way out there.

Back