My lonely CDL .270

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I told my Smith to postpone work on my new 270 a couple weeks. I finally realized my arthritic gun hand needed a lighter recoiling pistol. I carry because of many reasons but wife beaters ( When a woman comes to me with a complaint on one of these jerks, I sic the law on them and get her help) out for revenge are the main one. I fell back from G30s to a G19, ( I had long had to quit 1911s(45) and G29 10mm) had him order me some Ameriglo Night sights and a lighter trigger disconnector. Soon as I get that settled, the 270 is back on for Blueprinting,etc. Since I didn't draw a deer tag this year, one of my first loads to try will be a good coyote load. Any recommendations from you 270 users?

If you're saving the hide, try a 130-140 gr. bullet in the .270. I have shot them with the old Hornady 110HP and needless to say, it kills!

100 gr. pro hunter bullets. Powered by IMR-4064. Its a classic load made famous by the late great JOC. I like the load too. Do not count on saving any skins unless ya take the head shot only. :) :) :)

Preacher, I have shot a number of Coyotes with 130gr BTs & they are traveling at 3,000fps. I have always used IMR 4350 in my 270s..
I have some 100gr sierras but have never opened the box :).

Blessings,
Dan

The 100,s will go faster with IMR4350 with more muzzle blast off course. 4064 tones down the muzzle blast at lower velocity. The 100 gr sierra is a joy to shoot with very little recoil. The 110 sierras are cool too. If not able to locate the 100,s on the store shelf look for 110,s. I loaded some 110 TTSX, with 4350. Have not shot them yet .I have no idea what expect. They sure are pretty with there blue tips.

I don't try to save the hides so not worried about damage. I'm thinking anything from 130 and down will open him up like a cheap suitcase! I've seen 90gr Sierras locally, are they woth fooling with for coyotes or should I stay with 110s? Always windy where I call.

If you have them shooting well & not worried about the hide :wink: I would stay with what you have (y). Good luck please keep us informed on how they perform!!
PS. Photos are always good :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

While this may not be a 270 Win response, it may give some idea as to how a couple of the bullets mentioned above perform at high velocities.

I have a Browning B-78 in 270 Wby (28" barrel) that shoots the 90 gr Sierra at somewhere close to 4000 fps (guesstimate, as the load was never chronied by my friend who previously owned the rifle and developed the load) that was just plain mean on coyotes and beavers on his farm; turned them into red mist!

I never personally shot a coyote with it, but did use the factory load with 100gr Hornady's on a couple of coyotes at 100-150 yards, that literally opened them up like a suitcase, with no internal organs left inside and a fine red mist on the ground where the 'yote was shot. I did use the same load on a mulie buck one time at 200 yards plus, that tipped him forward on his nose, and left nothing in the front quarter hit as edible (would not use on large game again at shorter ranges).

Both accurate loads though, at less than MOA.

Am playing with the 110 gr TSX and TTSX in this rifle, and am getting sub-MOA groups with test loads at a chronied 3850 fps, and still 1 full grain off of max in the Barnes manual. Would like to see how it works on wolf at longer ranges (400-500 yards)

Good post Blkram. I have a box of 90 gr sierras with a date of 1995. They have been on my shelf for a while. :lol: Right now I,m looking forward to wed. range day. Will be testing some 110 TTSX,s along with the nosler 130 E-TIP. I was not happy with IMR4350 with the E-TIPS. Will shoot a few with a slower powder and see what happens. Certainly the above are both tough bullets and would likely be very usefull on deer and elk. My .270,s are not lonely guns as I will try anything just to see how they shoot. Never know the lead bullets may go away some day. I,m more of a Partition guy than anything else. Do love to play with other bullets. Kinda funny when I bought the TTSX,s I was looking for the 110 AB. I came home with bullets I was not looking for. :eek: :eek:

My CDL is almost ready! I dropped my G19 off at my smith's shop ( for the night sights/disconnector) and he was pillar bedding the stock then. Hopefully it will all be ready next week, hard to say with deer season upon us now and last minute "crisis repairs" coming in, ha. I'm really looking forward to to loading for it. I think I have a box of Sierra 120's here somewhere, if I can find them I'll start out there. Thanks guys, maybe one of these days I'll stop long enough to figure out sending phone pics to my computer/posting, ha.

I am late answering in this thread but I had a friend who used to use those Hornady 110 grain (they have a plastic tip and are made for varmints but aren't called ballistic tips and I can't remember what they are called) in his Ruger M77.

They shot really flat too. I believe he just used the 60 grains of H4831 that he used with 130 grain bullets as well. His velocity wasn't exceedingly high as I remember it but he couldn't get them to shoot out of his gun if he ran them too fast.

Hopefully you get some opportunities to use this gun/load on coyotes this fall and winter!

Good luck-

Dale

I would assume you mean Vmax's. I shoot a lot of the Amax's and they flat kill things from rockchucks to elk.

That's right IdahoCTD they were the V-max Varmint bullets.

I believe they were 110 grain.

Boy do they work on varmints.

Picked up rifle yesterday...so excited! Will scope it this week, start loading some trial loads...

preacher":lvql8eu3 said:
Picked up rifle yesterday...so excited! Will scope it this week, start loading some trial loads...
Good to hear.
Keep us posted on your progress and I wish you lots and lots of fun. :)

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Gosh, got down sick with a bad sinus infection, church duties so all I have done is mount my Leupold 2.5x8 on it. I did decide to p/u 100 new Nosler brass. I really liked it in my 7mm Express and 30-06. I run new brass into a neck sizing die just for insurance on neck tension. I am running behind on my load workup for the 338 Federal also! Help me Lord!

Preacher it is alright to take your time (y). We are all looking forward to seeing how you like this CDL and of course the range report with photos help.
I sure hope you are over that Sinus infection they are no fun at all.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks pard, it's like having the flu to me, and if I don't jump on it early, it works down to my upper respiratory...gag a maggot!

Back