My Son's 1st Deer

maanbr1

Beginner
Feb 16, 2010
Bear with the long read please!

My 10yr old son got his first deer yesterday! Not sure who was more excited, him or me! This was the 4th person I've sat with while they were shooting their first deer, always thought it was neat but this topped it by far 8)
We hunted in the morning next to a corn edge that I have seen them in quite a bit and thought for sure it was going to be slam dunk hunt for him and his rifle. Not a single deer all morning. Ate some lunch then killed some time until 3pm.

Thought I was going to have to duct tape his mouth between noon and 3 if he asked me one more time if we were ready to get back out there :mrgreen: He was awfully figity during the few hours in the morning and I knew they were not going to move till atleast 4pm, so going out at noon he would've been bored out of his mind!

Sooo...we get sat down next to the corn at 3pm. By 3:30 he's saying he doesn't think were going to see anything, getting talkative, figity ect. Glad we didn't sit at noon :grin:

Well 4 rolls around still nothing moving, then at 5pm I saw a buck moving through some trees about 125 yards away. I let him know he was there, and even though he wouldn't of been able to shoot him I wanted him to see it. He peeled those woods apart trying to see him, but didn't. Must not have the eye yet :wink: That buck walks on. About 5 minutes later he comes back through the same spot going the other way. My son still couldn't pick him out, but by now you can tell his adrenaline is pumping.

I notice a deer walking through the grass field from our left at about 60 yards. Whisper to him that he has one coming, but due to a tree in front of him he can't see it yet. He moves a bit, I tell him to hold tight. Of course he moved! Deer looks directly at us for about a minute or so. Luckily doesn't go into alarm and spook off. It continues on and my son gets his first look. I heard the breathing start! Now the deer is quartering hard towards us, head down 40 yards. He's got the rifle on it (Rem700 youth model .243), I tell him to hold off for it to turn for a broadside.

Something tells the deer that not all is alright in the area and it lifts its head real quick and stares right at us again. Starts doing the slow high hoof lift and tail shake thing. Not long before this deer is gonna bolt. I ask if he has a good shot? He said yeah, I said take it. BOOM, the deer dropped in its tracks (100 grain Corlokt)! My son stood right up and repeated to say "I got a deer"!
Dominick1stDeer12_28_2010_2.sized.jpg

That is just slap neat. Thanks for sharing the account. Congratulate your son. When he is eating that venison, he'll taste the reward of a job well done.

maanbr1

That is great! Congratulations to your son, he did a good job under pressure.
Thanks for sharing the story and the picture.

JD338

The smile on your sons face say it all!
Congratulations to both of you.
I hope it is the first of many to come.

Howard

Congrats to the both of you - The smile is priceless & tells the whole story !

Great to see the kiddos enjoying the outdoors !

That is absolutely a precious picture indeed. You need to have that blown up and hang it up in the house somewhere, congratulations to that young hunter. I love the smile and look on his face. :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone, he was still talking about it today.

I'm thinking of framing the picture, and then on the bottom attach the .243 casing he shot it with to the frame. Is it possible to engrave a rifle casing with a date?

Also if I go along with the casing idea, is there anyway to keep a brass casing nice and polished without it tarnishing in time?

Outstanding for both of you! Well Done! I think you've gaot a huntin' partner there Dad. Slow and easy, you done good! Only a happy kid can get that much smile on a face. I would think a jeweler or the local "trophy shop" might be able to point you in the direction of a Laser engraver. A coat of eurathane might work to keep it from tarnishing. There are acrylic "kits" for storing specimins I think but they are likely spendy. CL

congratulation to you and your son. He is extremly pleased as he should be, many more seasons to come.

Brasso will clean it as well as a case tumbler. some kind of coating on the inside and outside would help keep it that way.

Back