NBT bullet length

cugir321

Beginner
May 6, 2021
Since it's near impossible to buy 270 win 150 gr NBT's I had to buy some older bullets at a gun show. My gun loves the NBT in 150 gr only. These bullets measure 1.333 oal (the whole box)

My load was worked up about 15 years ago and is 54 grains of reloder 22, 150gr. NBT, Fed match 210 primers, oal 3.34. It shoots 1/2 inch at 100 yds. I just measured one of these bullets I bought 15 years ago....had bought a mess but am down to last 5 bullets. It is 1.346 in length.

Your new bullets say they are 1.35 oal.

My question is will these shorter bullets cause me heart burn trying to keep my 1/2 inch group? They are 1.333 vs 1.346 for the ones I used to work up my load. I don't care if the groups open up slightly but I can get 3/4 of an inch at a 100 yds with another brand. (that's actually available right now)

All three bullets are a different length. It took me a year to get this group after working with 10 powders and as many different bullets. I really don't want to start over.

Will a bullet that's ten thousandths shorter potentially cause the group to open up?

I'm loaded up and ready to try the gun show bullets at 1.333 length.

Just try them and see. I'd think that the base to ogive measurement matters more than the OAL of the bullet. They may have just changed the plastic tips.

My opinion is that 0.013" change in length is not enough to worry about. What could be a problem is that the ogive is different on these lots that far apart in production. You are using COAL as a benchmark for cartridge base to ogive which is fine if the bullet lots have the same ogive profile. If they don't shoot to your requirements, I would recommend conducting a seating depth test on the new lot to see if that helps.

walkinhorseman":z5u8rdwq said:
My opinion is that 0.013" change in length is not enough to worry about. What could be a problem is that the ogive is different on these lots that far apart in production. You are using COAL as a benchmark for cartridge base to ogive which is fine if the bullet lots have the same ogive profile. If they don't shoot to your requirements, I would recommend conducting a seating depth test on the new lot to see if that helps.
Thanks.....I'll shoot them on saturday.

Not much to worry about, Ballistic Tips are very easy to tune to shoot well. I would seat the ogive length the same and try them. Post results soon. (y)

TackDriver284":cgagyy27 said:
Not much to worry about, Ballistic Tips are very easy to tune to shoot well. I would seat the ogive length the same and try them. Post results soon. (y)

Shot them today.....they shot exactly the same as the longer bullets. Thanks.

walkinhorseman":2kc2duwj said:

Thanks for the post.....they shot great....I set them up at 3.33 oal....shot just the same as the longer bullets.

Back