Need Opinions on What Caliber to Buy

Kimberman":37l2cyig said:
I will be different and say I dont know why anybody would have a 7mm when the 270 WSM does everyhting it can do, on a short action.

Put a 162 Amax in a 7mm pipe and smoke it...

K-man: in my case I just don't have a real interest in a .270. I'm sure I'll eventually have a .270 WSM, but unless I buy it as a donor for a .257, 6.5, or .358, it'll be either the last or second to last WSM I buy. Nothing wrong with the cartridge, just holds no interest for me.

But I have been known to buy a rifle just for the platform... say an M70 Featherweight with a spectacular stick of walnut.

Just read my signature line, bro.

100 years from now, 30-06 ammo will still be available. 270 WSM might not be around next week.

tkeveney":3v1n9x5x said:
Just read my signature line, bro.

100 years from now, 30-06 ammo will still be available. 270 WSM might not be around next week.

270 WSM is a bit better than a decade old and still available everywhere I buy ammo.,,I'm guessing another week won't matter much I'd bet.

The logistics of ammo manufacturing have changed remarkably over the last couple of decades... companies can produce a wide variety of cartridges on smaller equipment and still be profitable. We can buy more cartridges in a wider variety of chamberings than at any time in history- these are the salad days.

Back