Never thought I'd be reloading for a shortmag . . .

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
It just was never my bag to go short. Nothin against them but they just did not blow my hair back.

So . . . have a brother in law, in Wyoming Pop, that just picked up a Tikka in 270 shortmag. Course factory fodder is a bit on the high side. So I happened to know someone who just happened to have a set of RCBS dies and some brass that he no longer used. Guess what I have in the reloading room now?

Anyway, he is wanting to shoot 150 grain Accubonds or Partitions. Perhaps another brand or two that shall not be named. It looks like H4831, Reloader 19 and Reloader 22 are prefered. What has been your experience?

Long

My particular .270WSM really likes the 140 gr AccuBond with Vihtavuori N-165 and Federal 210 primers. Other powders that also seem to work okay were Reloder 22 and Reloder 19. Reloder 19 really performed well with the 130 gr bullets. I also have shot some pretty good groups with the 90 gr HP bullets from Speer and Sierra and IMR-4350. Overall, the .270WSM didn't seem to be too finicky about what it liked to shoot. I think you will quickly find some accurate loads.

My 270WSM loves IMR4350, 61.3 grains. Fed215M primers pushing the nosler 130Gr balistic tip. Shoots half MOA every time. I have yet to shoot 150gr in it, if I need the larger bullet I go to my 300 mag.

My 270 WSM has shot everything I've loaded very well. My current load is:
140AB
Win Nickle Brass
GM215M Primer
61.5gn of RL-19
COL of 2.875

I have loaded Sierra 90HP, 140AB, 150PTgold, 160PT

Well, I have to pick up a shell holder this week and then get to reloading. Thanks for the help.

Long

you might also want to try IMR 7828, mine loves that stuff with a 130gr ballistic tip, it also like 4350 a lot also, good luck

Long,

The 270 WSM is an impressive round. Is there a Sako 270 WSM in your future? You already have the dies!

JD338

I have found .325 WSM to be easy to load for- as long as I'm not too hung up on getting the velocities Winchester claims. Brass seem to last a long time, too.

-jeff

Magpro will net you some good velocity. Thats what I worked with most when I had my 270 WSM. I was getting 3400 with 130's, and 3300 with 140's, and 3150 with 150's. It was a savage rifle and was one that didn't shoot very well, so didn't keep it. I wished it would have shot decent becasue I love the ballistic package of the 270 WSM. Load it with a 140g AB or 150g NBT and you have a heck of a long range deer getter and back up elk rifle.

Been in Sault Ste Marie for several days. Sure is good to get back on the net.

Thanks for the info guys. Still have to find a shell holder for this caliber and I will be up and running.

JD, I don't see one in my future. If I was going to go for a little more snoose I'd AI the 280. It will do all I would ever need. :)

Long

Back