I guess anybody can make an accurate bullet....lol!

kraky1

Handloader
Mar 7, 2012
Had a couple bragging groups at the shooting range today of 100 yards. The Lower group is actually a 5 shot group and the bullets are Kind of a Funny Story. About 20 years ago when you could buy reloading supplies on eBay I was buying some bullets from a guy with the last name of Royal. He was making them himself and advertising the jackets to be like those of Sierra match Kings and somehow he was bonding the internals. Pretty sure I saw his name on the corbon website for buying some of their Swaging equipment.
Anyhow I've been having pretty good luck with superformance in my Tikka 30 odd 6. It's about a hundred FPS slower than advertised but with 180 grains it's been really accurate for me. I dusted off the 20-year old bag of bullets and loaded up 5 of them at the guns preferred jump to the lands and down to the range i went. Sometimes when you're out to have fun crazy things happen.
I had a little more fun ...the group you see on the upper right was four shots of a real reduced load I'm working up for a Buddy's daughter to go deer hunting in a 270. I used some Lyman data with a start load of i 4198 and the little 110 Vmax is loafing along at 2500 out of my Marlin 270. The es was amazingly good considering it was not even 75% fill.
Before anybody pats me on the back for good shooting I have to admit I use a LEaD sled and my thirty-ought-six has A 5- 15 minox and my 270 has a 10x Bushnell tactical.... the reason I shot it 100 today was the winds were pretty good and I didn't think 200 was going to be a fair test...just lucky...lol.

Regardless of the method, the rifle and the load are delivering the goods for you. Such groups will make the most jaded gun crank smile. Congratulations.

That will work. Nice shooting, congratulations.

JD338

Very nice! Sounds like a jug test is in order for those custom Bullets.

Great shooting.

I guess I haven't got enough of them to worry about..... pretty sure a 180 grain "anything" would take down our Wisconsin whitetails LOL.
Going to try that same powder charge under some 178 a Max's next..... I have to admit it's awful close to node by quick load and the Barrel time charts that are on the internet.
Superformance has been exactly mirroring ramshot Hunter on my quick load. I'm going to go a Grain or two over Max Hodgdon data and see if I can get up around 2825 fps.... actually I would still be fine if I was using hunter data.... will watch closely for any pressure signs and it will be interesting to see if acvuracy goes to pot as I leave the node...... kinda Fun to run these meaningless experiments!

Btw.... I always use my LED sled without weight on it...... it's just a shooting crutch for this old 59 year old!

Back