New Eyes - Maybe for my 7mm08 M48 TGR

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Well, by next Wednesday I will have a set of new eyes for my 7mm08. Never bought this brand before, but suppose to be a good scope with edge to edge clarity, 93% light gathering, 3-10x40mm 1 inch tube with a very good drop compensator reticle. Won't tell folks what it is (not wanting to be influenced by comments and opinions) until I take it out of the box and mounted it and then go to the range with it and then test it (against other scopes of high quality I have owned) at dusk. If it is not what I expect or better for the money spent, I will sale it and get a different one. Some things I still get nervous over especially when I have no experience with it and have spent money on it. :shock: :roll: :mrgreen:

No, it is not a 30mm tube, nor 50mm objective since the human eye can't use the light from these scopes anyway and I get better depth of field with the 40mm and I am not hunting at night like some places in Europe nor am I poaching like some do over here, so it will give me more light than my eyes (20/10 in my right eye and 20/20 in my left eye) can use during legal times to hunt. I wanted some extra power over my fixed 6x (although not needed, just bored and want different glass), because of long shots this coming season I will be taking down gas lines and in the open space of Arizona, although 8x would have been more than enough. But this scope has some features I really like and I did not want a 3-9 just out of principle and out of being bored with all the 3-9 scopes I have and have owned. Man, sure hope I don't eat a lot of crow on getting this scope, but if it is not what I expect I will eat the crow and admit it was a bad choice. :lol:

Well I guess we'll just have to wait on the eyes but whatcha gonna be huntin' in AZ? Desert Mule deer?
Coues deer? Man I'd love to see pics of that hunt. Luck in to a Desert Ram tag?
Do tell

Cool. Wife's kids live out there an we had talked about a camping trip with them with coyotes on the menu but a grandchild one the way has rearranged vacation time. So I look forward to your results and maybe I can switch my hunt to bears next year

Looking forward to hearing a full report on this new scope. I am guessing on which manufacturer you have chosen..

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":3aqx9ir4 said:
Looking forward to hearing a full report on this new scope. I am guessing on which manufacturer you have chosen..

Blessings,
Dan

What is interesting is that their are a lot of marketing companies who contract to have their scopes made for them (Pentax, Nikon, Simmons, Weaver, Bushnell, Cablea's and a long list of others and some that would surprise you) by the few real manufacturing companies that are in existence. Even Burris buys Japanese glass and grinds the glass themselves and so does a few other companies. Also, some folks are not aware that a couple of famous European companies actually buy Japanese glass (Which also some folks don't know that Japanese glass is the best glass in the world, this ought to get some folks excited). I know, everybody thought their favorite name brand built the scopes they sell from scratch and all the parts are made in house. Not so! Now there are a few that build and make more parts than other in house, but these are so few and far in between. The key to finding good glass, great tubes and internal parts is to know which brand names specify great specs for their scopes, because you get for the most part what you pay for (not counting those who advertise a lot, lifetime warranties "which Leupold started"that we are paying for in the price of the scope and import fees ect. ect. which adds to the price of the scope, but not the quality for the dollar spent).

Now the trick is to find a scope sold by whomever and still end up with good polished glass, great coatings, good reticles, quality internal parts and design, great tubes along with very good fit and finish, that you do not end up paying a lot for the name brand, advertisement and import fees along with the other trappings that come with the big name. Now the most miss understood over rated, over hyped part of our shooting and hunting sport is Opitcs. I have researched for three months now and found what I believe to be a great deal price wise on a scope that has excellent glass, strong well designed internal parts, great fit and finish, rough and durable and is good at dusk and dawn. I am not naming it because some would immediately say that is a good scope and some would say that is not a good scope. I have purposely avoided reviews because all reviews have some bias in them unless there is a real comparison done in testing against an other competing product. It will be here Monday but our weather might not allow me to shoot the following day but as soon as I compare it to what I have experienced with the following scopes in my life (Swaroskie, Zeiss, Kahles, Leupold, Weaver, Bushnell, Simmons, Millet, Burris, Tasco, Konus, Minox, Pentax, Redfield) I will name the brand and scope and my impressions.

My Burris was made in the Philippines. But when I had a problem with it they had me send to Greely, CO and I got it back in just a few days.

Razorbacker":lpi2wobc said:
My Burris was made in the Philippines. But when I had a problem with it they had me send to Greely, CO and I got it back in just a few days.

Your Burris was assembled in the Philippines some of their scopes are assemble else where, but most of the parts for the majority of scopes sold today are from the Asian nations of Japan, South Korea and China, I said the majority of parts for most scopes, not all.

Scotty, I sure hope I did my homework on researching this one correctly. Needless to say I am nervous on this one. It will either be winner or a bust. Lol :lol:

I am sure that it will be decent Mike. There really aren't too many "bad" scopes nowadays..

I agree, it is not that it will more than likely be decent, but the question is will it meet my assumed expectations :)

Changing scopes Monday evening on my 7mm08 with a different BDC, a Meopta reticle in the first plain. Will be using my just under max load for my 7mm08 with the 160gr Speer bullet moving 2818fps.

c42f23e5-ce36-4e25-bfe5-98dfee046ac3_zpsb9acb969.jpg

0af99c1d-f89b-4f30-87c1-4329cde769dc_zpsb0b8a80e.jpg

So, you got a Meopta? Supposed to be good scopes, have good reputation. Let us know what you think?

In my over enthusiastic research I got more than a few things wrong from light transmission to ocular glass not to mention a few other things. So, in light of being totally embarrassed I got the manufacture correct "Light Optics" (at least that is a good thing). This might come back to bit me so let me get it over with and just tell you all the scope, now don't laugh to loud. It is a Cabela's Alaskan Guide 1" tube 3-10x40mm EXT. I got a little ahead of myself and mixed up a few of the specs I was researching without double checking my findings and drew a premature conclusion. Thing is, I have already bought the thing and it will be hear tomorrow afternoon. I got it on sale including shipping for 269.00. Sure hope it is decent glass. I know!!!!! :roll: :roll: :shock: :oops:

Back