New from Weatherby

Priced between the Vanguard and MK V and based on a Rem 700 foot print. with some unique features. A builders action as well that is affordably priced as well. When they come out with the lefty version I'll be happy.

This one will address some of those issues. As a twist you'll be able to use their builders action for your custom gun now.
The Alpine is still $3,000. Personally, unless building custom, I would rather have a MK V. The bare action is reasonably priced, but I am not qualified to review it.

Looking at their offerings , the twist rates are still stone age rates. The bare action offering is something worth looking into.

The 6.5's are 8 twists and was surprised to see the 243 and 240 with a 7.5 twist.

Looks like the Remington 700 Alpha 1. I’m sure there are differences, but they could almost be twins. Both look like very capable rifles.

Last edited:
It seems quite a few manufacturers are releasing new models with the TC Venture/Sauer style action. A very accurate platform.

Sounds like there is a short action magnum coming eventually. A question I had was if you could somehow lose the bolt handle when hiking around and the answer is no when the bolt is in the un cocked state as it should be when hiking around. They are going after a different market, different customers with this new product and will not affect what Weatherby has done with the Mark V in a negative way.

I like the notion of a purpose-built rifle. We have different shoes / boots for various activities (and temperatures) and if you need x a hunting rifle with certain traits, the 307 can be one for you. The 307 isn’t offered in many typical hunting cartridges. That’s fine because the hunters looking for specific capabilities can’t find the answers with “typical” choices.

Back