New GI bill

http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/transfer.htm

Some highlights about the Post 9/11 GI Bill:

1. Active duty has the choice to transfer to the new GI Bill or stay with the MGIB.

2. With the new gi bill, you can use it or transfer it to dependents up to 15 years after honorable separation or retirement; whereas the current MGIB only can be used by the service member up to 10 years after separation or retirement.

3. Full time students will receive E-5 w/ dependent rate BAH based on zip code (Colorado is around $1500/month) of school location as well as having books, fees, tuition completely paid for up to the highest tuition rate of the most expensive state school in the state you would like to attend class. The current MGIB pays only for tuitition.

4. The new GI bill will pay for a one time certification up to $2,000.

5. Although you can opt for the new GI Bill at any time on active duty, you can only add family members enrolled in DEERS while on active duty. If you choose to give your benefits to a dependent or split the benefits among dependents, at such time, you must commit to an additional 4 years active service and fufill your commitment honorably.

6. Your children can use the benefits between the age of 18 up to 26 years old. You can choose to take it away or change the percentage of the benefit at any time ie. your kid turns out to be an idiot LOL.

7. Must receive passing grades or you will be responsible to repay the money received from the VA.

8. The new GI bill is great for students attending resident college classes, however it will not pay for vocational or specialty schools such as Piloting school for example. Online classes can be taken, however to receive the full benefits, at least 51% of the classes must be taken in a classroom.

After sitting through two briefings from the base education office, this is the key information I took away from it. Also, keep in mind, you can only transfer from the MGIB to the 9/11 GI Bill via the VA link I provided at the top. The education office can not assist with this in anyway other than to provide information, as this program is handled soley by the VA.

We have never treated our veterans as well as we should. Unfortunately, every benefit is a political football, if not now, then at some point in the future ... usually sooner, rather than later.

YoteSmoker":p70a1021 said:
http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/transfer.htm

8. The new GI bill is great for students attending resident college classes, however it will not pay for vocational or specialty schools such as Piloting school for example. Online classes can be taken, however to receive the full benefits, at least 51% of the classes must be taken in a classroom.

There is a section of the new bill that pays for people to go to vocational schools. I retired in 2002 and was not covered under any other programs. I came from the VEAP era and it's a long story! :wink: I am currently attending a community college and based on my retirement date they will pay 60 percent of my tuition. I believe they called it section 31. Worth checking into.

Thomas

Back