New here, but here's my "line up"...

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Well, I have to thank Scotty for getting me on here, and all of you for such a warm welcome. Here's an idea of what I'll be hunting with this year.

First up, my brand spankin' new M70 in 300WSM.

300WSM.jpg

Next, my line-up of M70's:

m70s.jpg

Top to bottom- 300WSM with a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40; 30-06 (DBM model) with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40mm; .257 Roberts Featherweight with a Leupold 1.5-5x (don't know anything more about it...this was my late grandfather's hunting rifle).

Enjoy!

Dang, a Featherweight Bob. Drooling here. Push feed or CRF?

Nice looking lineup there, buddy!

The featherweight bob is what I like. Two bobs and an Ackley in my safe. Nice line-up. Take that bob out this year and give gandpa some dues. Tat is the coolest rifle in the bunch INHO

Thanks for the compliments.

I've actually already taken a deer with that 257, and my dad has taken 2. My grandfather shot exactly one deer with it......his last.

I received it from my father this past Christmas, and my two daughters are in line for it as the rifle they'll use for their first deer. My wife and I are expecting our 3rd in November, and that one will use the 257 for his or her first deer, as well. That'll make 4 generations of my family that'll will have used that rifle to harvest game. Both my girls are raring to go, so I figure I'll work up some moderate loads with 100 or 110 gr bullets (thinking the AB or IB, or maybe the GMX, as I had good results with that in my '06). My oldest turns 9 this year.....she'll be ready soon. She's a crack shot with her 22 already!

The 300WSM is the result of two things..... I wanted something for me with a bit more oomph than my '06, plus my '06 is a DBM model, and it's in a POS plastic stock. I've tried a lot with it, but I can't really get it under 1.5" at 100. I have a few more things to try, but really what it needs is new bottom metal to get rid of the DBM arrangement, a new stock (thinking a B&C Medalist, since my 300 has one of those and it's niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice), and then it should shoot like a champ. In the meantime, the .300 will take over my main hunting duties, the 257 for when the mood strikes me, and someday the '06 will be back on the starting lineup.

I'm going to put a new scope on that 257.....the one that's on it was kind of a "a scope in a pinch" solution my dad concocted for his dad. While sentimental, it's not a great scope at all, so I am going to switch it. Kinda thinking about a VX3 2.5-8x36 on that one.

Looking at a 3.5-10x40 B&C reticle VX3 or a 3-9x40 Z-600 reticled Zeiss Conquest on the 300,and keeping the duplex 3-9x40 on the '06.

Tom,

I must say that the Bob is pretty neat. The push feed models shot very well indeed. I had a 280 push feed that consistently gave me 0.25 to 0.5 inch groups with a variety of loads. I traded it for insulating my house. Then, I turned around and bought another Model 70 Featherweight in .280 with controlled round feed. It shoots well enough (0.25 inch groups with 139/140 grain bullets, but the push feed shot just a little better. That Bob is just very neat.

Tom that's a nice line-up and the mounts look good on that rifle! 300 WSM :lol: I heard you got a good deal on them! :p

That .257 Roberts would be terrific with the 110 gr. AccuBond or the 100 gr. E-tip and take care of anything you and your young hunters would shoot, plus hardly any recoil. 8)

I agree, the tupperware on the 30-06 has to go! That same stock on your 300 WSM would be super as would a Boyds wood laminate that has been glass & pillar bedded. They make a nutmeg laminate that would look sharp, and a gray laminate colored stock that also would look very nice! I love wood and love the strenth of the laminates!! :shock: MY 30-06 sure likes IMR4350 at 57.4 grs and a 165 gr. Partition or AccuBond seated on top of that. Had two 30-06 rifles that really liked that load and if you have been paying attention to the 30-06 loads on the forum, lots and lots of guys have been using IMR4350 and H4350 with that weight bullet and loads from about 56.5 to 58.5 as the sweet spot for their particular rifle.

David

Welcome to the madness. Do not forget to take your meds! Or else RADD sets in quick!

6mm Remington":144kyzch said:
Tom that's a nice line-up and the mounts look good on that rifle! 300 WSM :lol: I heard you got a good deal on them! :p

That .257 Roberts would be terrific with the 110 gr. AccuBond or the 100 gr. E-tip and take care of anything you and your young hunters would shoot, plus hardly any recoil. 8)

I agree, the tupperware on the 30-06 has to go! That same stock on your 300 WSM would be super as would a Boyds wood laminate that has been glass & pillar bedded. They make a nutmeg laminate that would look sharp, and a gray laminate colored stock that also would look very nice! I love wood and love the strenth of the laminates!! :shock: MY 30-06 sure likes IMR4350 at 57.4 grs and a 165 gr. Partition or AccuBond seated on top of that. Had two 30-06 rifles that really liked that load and if you have been paying attention to the 30-06 loads on the forum, lots and lots of guys have been using IMR4350 and H4350 with that weight bullet and loads from about 56.5 to 58.5 as the sweet spot for their particular rifle.

David

David,

I was thinking of a 100gr bullet, too, for the Bob. Lots of time....I don't think Megan (my oldest) will be hunting this year, so I'm probably going to work up some "warm" loads for the AB or IB bullets and take it myself from time to time.

As for the '06, I've redone the hot glue bedding, floated the barrel, and now I'm almost done with pillar bedding. Basically, I figured I have nothing to lose by learning to do such things on that stock, and then when I've had my fill of learning from it, I'll get the Medalist and not look back. Laminates look neat, but I really love that Medalist that's on my 300, and that's precisely what I'd want on the '06. By the way, if anyone on here ever gets the bright idea to bed an injection molded plastic stock, give me a holler first. I can save you some serious aggravation now that I learned how to make the glass adhere to the stock. Trust me, it doesn't just happen.

'06 reloads....currently shooting a 165gr Hornady GMX on 55.5gr of IMR4350. Once I had bedding issues straightened out, I planned to work that up. It was better there than 56 or 56.5, but I didn't go any higher, so I will try at some point (or until I see pressure symptoms). Honestly, I really shouldn't sweat it so much with it shooting a reliable 1.2-1.6 inches, as that's functional accuracy. I'm just not happy with it, so onward I press.

I also have an accurate load of 51.5gr IMR4064 and a Hornady 150gr SP. That's shot well in about every '06 I've given it to.

Good lookin' rigs. I have a 300WSM just like your's, I bedded the rifle last week, rings, glass, brass, dies, and shell holder should be here this week.

Very nice bunch of Rifles Tom! That B&C Medalist is an excellent stock and has really turned my 338WM into a pussycat! Scotty

tddeangelo

Glad you are here Tom!

That is a nice collection you have. That 257 Roberts is a sweet heart if a rifle. What loads are you running through her?
Let us know if you need some Bob loads. They are usually shooters and the 257 Bob will kill deer like lighting.

JD338

beretzs":q4z1ra53 said:
Very nice bunch of Rifles Tom! That B&C Medalist is an excellent stock and has really turned my 338WM into a pussycat! Scotty

So you shot it? How'd it go???

JD338":3v58an0v said:
tddeangelo

Glad you are here Tom!

That is a nice collection you have. That 257 Roberts is a sweet heart if a rifle. What loads are you running through her?
Let us know if you need some Bob loads. They are usually shooters and the 257 Bob will kill deer like lighting.

JD338

Currently shooting a very quickly dwindling batch of Hornady Light Mag ammo with 117gr SST bullets. Was thinking of moving to a 110gr AB or IB for handloads.

I shot a deer with the SST Light Mag loads, and my dad shot two. The SST did a decent job.

I will add for perspective, though, that my father and I have had rocky experiences with the .257 and the 6mm Remington. I shot my first deer with a Remington 700 Classic in 257 Roberts, and my dad no longer owns that gun because of the poor performance of the 257 that we saw. Dad lost a beautiful buck because a well-placed round didn't perform (deer was found nearly a mile away in a lake with one lung punctured).

We were shooting Sierra GameKings,and they penetrated poorly, killed poorly, and left poor blood trails.

Now, I'm ready to give the 257 a real good try again, but bear in mind it's got some work ahead to really earn my trust fully again. I want it to work as well as I read about it working, but I need to see it for myself before it's "true" to me again, if that makes sense.

Get yourself some 115gr-120gr PT's and hold on. I can't imagine you will be disappointed! Scotty

tddeangelo":33s3asyi said:
beretzs":33s3asyi said:

Stock is excellent Tom. Love it. Handles the 338WM just like I'd imagined it would. Can't wait to get some more time behind it. Although, 95* Temps are pretty rough for good shooting. Scotty

beretzs":zjywf1r6 said:
tddeangelo":zjywf1r6 said:
beretzs":zjywf1r6 said:

Stock is excellent Tom. Love it. Handles the 338WM just like I'd imagined it would. Can't wait to get some more time behind it. Although, 95* Temps are pretty rough for good shooting. Scotty

Yeah, it was that way on Monday when I was out, too.

Accuracy from it?

Pretty decent Tom. I posted some targets in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15736

Still have some more work to do, but I think I will get it done soon. Gotta reprogram myself since I am using this Nosler brass. Great stuff, but It is thicker and has less capacity than WW brass. I think if I back off a hair I will get it done. Scotty

Back