New job

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
After working for FedEx the last 4 1/2 years I'm leaving for a new job. FedEx was good to me but it has definitely taken a toll on my body. I have a shoulder that has some damage and I'm hoping to avoid any surgery, etc .

Starting next week I will be an assistant to the county sheriff, doing all administrative stuff, no patrol cars, service calls, etc. I didn't want to do that kind of work anymore plus my commission is expired. I will have latitude on my work hours, full benefits and retirement, and don't have to wear any kind of uniform.

I'm excited and hope it is as good as I'm expecting.

Ron

Congratulations! Sounds like a great opportunity for you. I had about a 9 month stint with FedEx, and yes it is hard on the body. 150+ stops and 200+ packages a day all at a dead sprint takes a toll. How many times did you say the words "Screw You Chewy, and your heavy a$$ boxes"? ;)

Just read your job description again. Sounds like a hell of a good deal. Will you be able to retire from the system at the same time you would if you were still wearing a shield and Sam Brown?

Good luck with your new job.
But I would see a orthopedic surgeon and get some physical therapy plus an MRI done so you don't make the injury any worse. I've had my shoulder scoped and it isn't as bad as it may seem.
I also had a Knee scoped just several months before I went Elk hunting in Montana.
Both the shoulder and knee are working great just to let you know that there is no long time recovery unless they need to be replaced.

24605, I said that and worse. We did not see the decline in numbers the way we usually did after peak (Holiday) season and income tax time. After covid, people learned they could order stuff to their houses so it continued after the covid thing ended. Beds, other furniture of all kinds, mattresses, trampolines, swimming pools, and tree stands , besides the innumerable Walmart/Sam's Club and Chewy boxes. I realize you may have seen/known this, but other folks might not.

Truck Driver, I had considered that idea too but wanted to get established and benefits working first.

Salmonchaser, I will continue to draw my retirement check from the PD while I'm working and when I retire from the SO I will be eligible for a second check from them.

Thanks to everyone for the kinds words and encouragement.

Ron

Outstanding, glad it’s going to work out well for you. I put my shield on a plaque in 2011 and a day or two later I was guiding full time in Alaska. Done with that now and have thought about helping out at the S/O. To be honest I’m not likely to sign up. I do appreciate very much those who still work at keeping bad guys at bay.

Back