New Medium bore....What to get??

dubyam":207gyyji said:
That's kind of the direction I was going in, Rich. A 375Ruger would be cool. Of course, if you want short, easy handling and nice looking, consider a CZ550 Full Stock in 9.3x62. I bet you've never loaded for one of those, have you POP? And that's a short list to be on...

Yup I have actually.....imagine that!

Thebear_78":2uv5vuxp said:
Just go 9.3x62. Its about unbeatable in the mid bores. It has it all, Performance, history, and lots of class. Its really hard to be a 286gr Nosler Partition @ 2400+fps. Doesn't kick bad but kills really well.

Its kind of like a 36 whelen improved :)

TEMPTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was fun to play with!

I know I said medium but yesterday I fondled a new (FH) Winchester 70 30-06 featherweight. WOW! what a rifle and she will shoot under MOA. I have seen glowing reports from them!

POP":1wstgidk said:
Thebear_78":1wstgidk said:
Just go 9.3x62. Its about unbeatable in the mid bores. It has it all, Performance, history, and lots of class. Its really hard to be a 286gr Nosler Partition @ 2400+fps. Doesn't kick bad but kills really well.

Its kind of like a 36 whelen improved :)

TEMPTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was fun to play with!

Go with 9.x62 and you will be very happy. At close medium range with a partiton 286 or a tsx or either woodleigh 250 it will take no prisoner. A true hammer of thor :twisted:
I use it since 1983 in a cz stutzen with 52 cm barrel and I am completely satisfied of it.
paolo
ps sorry I have been away for a long time because of some health troubles now solved! :grin: :grin:

POP":1768y628 said:
I know I said medium but yesterday I fondled a new (FH) Winchester 70 30-06 featherweight. WOW! what a rifle and she will shoot under MOA. I have seen glowing reports from them!

That is probably the epitome of a great rifle. The Model 70 FWT and 30-06 would be an awesome combo. That is one of my dream guns right now and I have heard great things from Dr Mike about his new M70's. It would be cool to have that FWT in a 35 Whelen or maybe a 338-06, talk about a great handling/hiking Elk Rifle. Scotty

POP":3j1x54en said:
dubyam":3j1x54en said:
That's kind of the direction I was going in, Rich. A 375Ruger would be cool. Of course, if you want short, easy handling and nice looking, consider a CZ550 Full Stock in 9.3x62. I bet you've never loaded for one of those, have you POP? And that's a short list to be on...

Well, imagine that. I bet finding something you haven't loaded for is pretty hard to do, eh, POP? I noticed you have a very large selection of dies on your shelf in a pic you posted elsewhere...and yet you don't currently own all those rifles...I should have known you'd loaded for anything and everything except the most obscure wildcats and the newest stuff.

I know. 125 at 3300 fps 150 at 3k or so and 180 at 2750. This will also be my fun gun meaning I will be shooting the crap out of it....especially if the 458 Lott sells :lol:

dubyam":2wqf6awk said:
POP":2wqf6awk said:
dubyam":2wqf6awk said:

Well, imagine that. I bet finding something you haven't loaded for is pretty hard to do, eh, POP? I noticed you have a very large selection of dies on your shelf in a pic you posted elsewhere...and yet you don't currently own all those rifles...I should have known you'd loaded for anything and everything except the most obscure wildcats and the newest stuff.

Pretty much. I love playing with all calibers.....

Did you ever play with a 257 or 6.5 RUM or STW?? or anything else designed to make a barrel into a pretzel??

Naw I want a "normal" down to earth round. I have done most of the high velocity supercharged stuff.

POP":11jr7afm said:
Naw I want a "normal" down to earth round. I have done most of the high velocity supercharged stuff.

Medium bore that is down to earth round is the 338Win Mag. And considering what you have shot in your life the recoil is nothing to you. My Ruger is not a problem at all to shoot.

Have you played with the Ruger 338 yet?

POP":aa26y6r6 said:
Have you played with the Ruger 338 yet?

Just started a little this week before I go and this is one easy cartridge to load for. I am trying 225gr Accubonds along with factory ammo at the moment. When I get back I will be using 210gr Nosler Partitions and then some others. I will give full load development report by the third week of Oct at the earliest and no later than the first week of Nov.

I would like to save even the exciting results in accuracy and velocity I have initially discovered. Why I have not spent time with the 338Win Mag in my many years of hunting, shooting and reloading I don't know but frankly I was missing something for sure.

If I had one and got close to 3k with the 210
PT I would be jumping!

POP":34bwk4km said:
If I had one and got close to 3k with the 210
PT I would be jumping!

Look, 3000fps to 3020fps across the Chrony is a reality with the 210gr Nosler and some I know have done it. Double Tap ammo for a 200gr AccuBond is a true 3075fps across the chrony. They get 2850fps with a 225gr AccuBond. There are all kinds of possibilities with the 338Win mag and you don't have a long mag action and I really am liking this Ruger.

Hello!

Just cant understand why you want to sell your .350RM.
My absolute favourite cal. on biggame incl.norwegian moose, down to roedeer. You can easily do the same with your .350,as with all mentioned cal.options in this thread. If you like the rifle,keep it in this outstanding caliber...350 REM MAG. :grin:

Pop,

I have sold off all my mediums except the .375 Ruger in the African Hawkeye. I like the walnut and blue rifles, and I can recommend this one.

jim

bmw5":ewae84br said:
Hello!

Just cant understand why you want to sell your .350RM.
My absolute favorite cal. on big game incl.Norwegian moose, down to roe deer. You can easily do the same with your .350,as with all mentioned cal.options in this thread. If you like the rifle,keep it in this outstanding caliber...350 REM MAG. :grin:

It sold day before yesterday. Was not "doing" it for me. It is weird and so am I. I will buy a gun, any gun. No matter how good looking , how accurate how svelte, if she does not do it for me then ....done deal.

For instance, I fell in love INSTANTLY with my 416 Classicmark II. I will go before she does. Weird huh?

Pop,

Consider these candidates-

338 cal-
338 Federal
338-06
338 RCM

35 cal-
350 Rem Mag (you should have kept the M700 Classic) :wink:
35 Whelen

375 cal-
375 Ruger
375 H&H

JD338

I have the following in mind.

338 Win mag bolt

35 whelen (in a pump---for a change)

win 70 featherweight in 30-06 or maybe.... maybe (a far second 300 WSM)

and a far fourth very far that is a 375 H&H in a bolt

Decisions decisions decision.........

sAng_banghead2.gif

Back