New Production Model 70 Super Grades

Feb 18, 2011
Anyone have any thing good or bad to say about these rifle? I was in sportsmans today and they had a 270 with wood far exceeding any supergrade I have seen in the past - almost custom shop nice. Couldn't pass it up so I put it on lay away.

Seems the new trigger system is pretty nice - this one had a really light crisp trigger. Also really like the deep bluing. A gloss leupold 2.5-8x will match it up pretty nice.

My Winchester experience has only been with New Haven Product - which always seemed fine to me.

I think Winchester is putting out great rifles.. I'd not be scared of one. Little put off with the Portugal assembly of them, but they are still excellent rifles. I'd buy another. Can't wait to see pictures.

I have several iterations of the new production rifles. Each is a joy to carry and shoot. Each gives me sub-MOA groups. Fit and finish is exceptional on all that I have handled. They are a bargain in today's world.

They are beautiful and appear very well made. From the groups Scotty and Dr. Mike have posted, they're shooters too!

Congrats on the new rifle!

I have a pair of South Carolina-manufacture Model 70s, a .270 Featherweight and a .338 Sporter. The new trigger lacks the graceful simplicity of the old Winchester trigger, but it is very good nevertheless. Both of mine break right at three pounds. As advertised, creep and over-travel are virtually zip.

The bedding is definitely more concerted than the New Haven rifles.

I have yet to see a Portugal rifle in person, so no idea what those are like.

Browning always had a class act until they switched their rifles over to Japanese design and manufacture. Both the A-bolt and A-Bolt are functionally adequate but they will never win any beauty contests. Japan Inc. it seems, is artistically lacking and their gun and car designs are mostly artistically ugly, even if they are mechanically proficient.

At least Portugal people's, like Spain, have an artistic soul and can make a nice blend of functional, artistic and artful devices including shotguns and rifles. Personally, I would buy a Portuguese or Spanish shotgun or rifle any day and in fact have owned many Italian shotguns and Portuguese (Browning) shotguns and rifles over the past 50 years.

I've always wondered what would have been the outcome if Winchester handed Miroku a Pre64 Model 70 and said "copy this". Seems they did a real nice job of recreating the Model 71's, M94's and a few other old Winchester designs.

Sorry, off topic a bit.

I own a Model 70 Super Grade that I bought in 2012. It is actually the limited edition to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Model 70 being produced. It is chambered in 30-06 and a beautiful rifle.

The workmanship on this rifle is extraordinary. The wood is great, the bluing is deep and rich, the wood to metal finish is excellent.

It is so pretty I have not brought myself to hunt with it, as I have plenty of other stuff to shoot. I have taken it to the range and it shoots well. I am getting sub MOA groups with the 150 grain Barnes TSX over IMR 4350.

You are right, the triggers are outstanding. Mine breaks at close to 4 pounds but it is so clean and crisp with no over travel that I just have not messed with it.

Having said all that, I did have to send it back to Winchester for repair. I was shooting it one day and the 3 position safety simply fell off! That is right, it just simply fell off. You could see where the shaft that goes down into the side of the bolt had sheared off. I took it back to the store where I bought it and Winchester instructed them to send it back to them. The repair was quick and at no cost, but is sort of weird to have that happen in the first place.

Great rifles, the new Super grades.

I'll hand it to the Japanese at Miroku...their designs lack soul, but their machining is first rate.

John Barsness wrote an article about .270s the other day. In that article he had a Ruger No.1 and one of the Jack O'Connor Edition Winchester Model 70 Featherweights...boy is that a nice looking rifle. I cannot believe how beautiful the wood and the metal to wood fit is.

Those are very nice rifles...

I personally prefer a 24" barrel but those 22" barrels are nice on the mountain top hunts and 100 fps in sacrifice isnt that much when every ounce of weight becomes an issue.

hodgeman":arhczzc3 said:
I'll hand it to the Japanese at Miroku...their designs lack soul, but their machining is first rate.

Yes, the Japanese make very good rifles & shotguns, but they're not making the Model 70! :grin:

I have a 2012 Supergrade Model 70 in .270. It shoots 130 grain Ballistic Tips at around 1/2 inch. I am so happy with it.

The current 70s out of SC are great rifles, and the MOA trigger is very good also but it can be improved with a lighter spring. I've got one that can be adjusted down to scary light but never falls off the sear for any reason. Maybe one day I'll remember to borrow my neighbor's trigger scale and see just exactly where it's at. I'm guessing 22 ounces. And NO creep.

As far as Miroku goes...maybe they have no creative soul, but they can sure paint by numbers! The Winchester 52s they made were some fine rifles.

It's strange how I was a such a Winchester fan as a kid...my uncle gave me a Winchester 47 when I was six or seven, and naturally I believed I had the most powerful and magical rifle in the world. I grew up (somewhat) and became (somewhat) more objective and (somewhat) more of a realist. As I grow older, I love Winchester rifles more and more.

There are rifles other than Winchester?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

SJB358":3bodjcj0 said:
Vince":3bodjcj0 said:
There are rifles other than Winchester?

Not worth mentioning. :mrgreen:
[emoji2] [emoji106]

I reserve the right to disagree after I get my Nosler.
At least it's left handed and has features I want that Winchester doesn't offer.

I am just biased a little towards Model 70's... Can't help it, it's Mike fault.. :grin:

Back