New Range Report 35 Whelen at 200 yards

whelen35

Beginner
Jun 28, 2012
Ok, I finally got out tonight just before dark to test my 35 Whelen load at 200 yards. Again it is 60.5 grains of Rl-15 with the new 200 grain AccuBond the muzzle velocity is right around 2880 give or take. The group is outstanding for me just a little over 1 and 1/2 inch.

Some observations and thoughts.

#1 Are most Whelens this accurate? It seems a bunch of people on the board have them do they shoot the same for you?

#2 I think this new 200 grain bullet really makes the Whelen a true open country long range capable rifle. With a BC of .365 (if I remember correctly) my leupold cds dial should take me out to 600+ yards as long as accuracy it there.

#3 The Whelen does have a cool factor that you just don't get with other rounds.

Anyway here is my pic, I'll try to get the 300, 400 and 500 results posted soon. Again this is just one mans results, but it sure is making me a believer.
20120706_221218.jpg

Very nice! That should do you proud, as if would any serious shooter. My Whelen performs quite nicely, giving me 0.5 inch groups or better each trip to the range. I don't believe MOA is at all out of the realm of reason with the Whelen. They are not just a short to medium range prospect; they can reach out there if we give them their legs.

That's looking pretty good. I think your observations are right on, bigger calibers like the 35 Whelen can be very accurate, can reach out better than people think and the Whelen is just plain cool 8) Can't wait till you dail it out some more.

I am with you all. I shot mine out to 600 (actually 597 lasered) and it shot about a 4.5" 3 shot group. I was sold. Not planning on shooting anything living that far, but it is nice to know it'll do it, if needed.

Man, I think you have pushed me over the edge, I might have to break down and order some of the 200 AB 2nd's that are on sale.

I have seen some pretty awesome groups from my Whelen and all the others around here as well. It is a true favorite as it hits hards and accurate without a ton of recoil.

Here is my best group to date, with ANY rifle I own.. It just happened that the Whelen allowed me to flinch three times accurately.

957BF520.jpg

It shoots the 250 PT well too

DSC_2738.jpg

185972C3-orig.jpg

250 yards with PT's

DSC_2589.jpg

It even shoots the Speer 250 pretty well too. These were at 300 yards

DSC_0005.jpg

All of them shoot RL15. I just can't ask for more. I can see why your rifle is quickly becoming a favorite. With the CDS on top, I would say you wouldn't have to worry about running out of range! Great shooting. It is a ton of fun to shoot the Whelen. Glad Nosler put it out in their rifles.

Thanks Whelen35 & Scott, for posting these reports. I am hoping to get the same type of results.
If I can get a 200gr. AccuBond to travel 2800fps or there abouts I will be more that happy.
Right now I am going to concentrate on the 225gr AccuBond hoping for 2600 to 2700fps with this it should be more that sufficient for Elk & Moose out to 300yds. this coming fall.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, you will come into 2700 very easily buddy. The only thing slowing your rifle down is the improper torque on the bolt, from being on the wrong side! I hear that is an immediate loss of 50FPS! Yeah, Nothing you can do to fix it, but I think you'll be good!

Wow, that is a great group with the accubonds, groups like that could make a person sell some of their other rifles. I'll keep plugging away and see how these shoot way out there hopefully in the next few days if it doesn't get too hot. Suppose to be pushing 100 here today.

Nice shooting for sure.
I like the CDS dials, they should work well for you as well.

JD338

whelen35":qlrz3961 said:
Wow, that is a great group with the accubonds, groups like that could make a person sell some of their other rifles. I'll keep plugging away and see how these shoot way out there hopefully in the next few days if it doesn't get too hot. Suppose to be pushing 100 here today.

Good luck! Hope you are able to stretch it..

Scotty I know you talk like that because deep down you are a lefty at heart. Being right handed is such a handicap free yourself and just admit that you are coming over to the proper side :shock:

Blessings,
Dan

Now, Dan, if being a lefty is good, why is it said to be "sinister." Does it not bother you that the current President of the United States is a sinistral writer? :shock: Come on, man. Be cautious about attributing to poor old Scotty such attributes. :mrgreen:

Mike, I am not going to let you pull me into a war of words as you know it would be like me bringing a knife to a gun fight :shock: the odds are not in my favor!!
But there are a few of us lefties here on the forum and we realize it is us against the world but we like it that way :wink:
I am in the my man cave and it is starting to shape up :) Mike I found a couple of more P.O. Ackley books first one is called Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders copy right 1959 & the other one is called Supplement to the Handbook copy right 1959.
I think that was about the same year as you graduated from Med school :shock:
I will get them off in the mail to you next week.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan,

I'm going to give you some positive ammunition (must be a decided failing on my part). Left-handedness appears to be growing in incidence in the modern world. Some might argue whether this is a good thing or not. However, some would argue that this indicates an improving of the race. It may be of interest to those who imagine an origin of life from outer space ( :shock: ) that chirality favours left-handeness in amino acids. L-amino acids make up the proteins of our bodies. R-amino acids are detrimental. (Does this mean that somewhere there is someone who is the mirror image of me, only with his heart on the right side). I pull your leg, but it is all in good fun. Now, some will ask, "What has this to do with accuracy of 200 grain AccuBond bullets at 200 yards from a 35 Whelen?" The answer is, what direction is the twist of that barrel?

I'm jealous. I really wanted to make the 200 NAB my whitetail bullet but my 100 yard targets look like a good 000 pattern.

Back