New Rifles To Me

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I picked up two more rifles from my sister today that were her late husbands. I haven't had time to take pictures yet but one is a Winchester M62A take down .22 pump the other is a M98 Mauser in 7.92, all numbers match but has been refinished and the receiver markings have been polished off so I don't no which plant made it. The bore is in very good condition from what I could see. I'll get some pictures tomorrow and post them.

That sounds like a great acquisition, Rodger. Congratulations. Oh, yeah, the pictures are mandatory!

Waiting to see the mauser 98. If it still has the military stock and sights, could be a Russian Capture K98. Many of those were arsenal refinished and lost a lot of the original markings.

I got around to take some pictures today while trying to clean the guns up.
These guns have been left in vinyl gun cases and a gun sock of sorts and not wiped down with an oil cloth before they were put away so there is a lot of rust on the two rifles that is very bad. The poor Win 62A was handled hard and never wiped down but amazingly the bore is bright and sharp plus the interior parts show little wear so it was carried a lot and not wiped off with an oil cloth to get rid of the body salts. The front barrel band on the M98 is the same way with very heavy rust and pitting. There seems to be no pitting in the bore and also appears bright though it has copper fouling which is being cleaned out as I type.

Attachments

• KIMG0265.jpeg
    KIMG0265.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 805
  • KIMG0269.jpeg
    KIMG0269.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 805
  • KIMG0266.jpeg
    KIMG0266.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 805
  • KIMG0273(1).jpeg
    KIMG0273(1).jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 805
  • KIMG0278.jpeg
    KIMG0278.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 805
Here's some more pictures of the M98 and markings along with the Beretta.

Attachments

• KIMG0258(1).jpeg
    KIMG0258(1).jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 804
  • KIMG0259.jpeg
    KIMG0259.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 804
  • KIMG0260(1).jpeg
    KIMG0260(1).jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 804
  • KIMG0279.jpeg
    KIMG0279.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 804
  • KIMG0270.jpeg
    KIMG0270.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 804
  • KIMG0272.jpeg
    KIMG0272.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 804
Very neat, Rodger. Each should prove to be a fun acquisition.

The poor little M-62A shows very little wear on the internals as does the Mauser which I believe is a Spanish M-43.

Very cool Rodger, I am sure that you will get everything sorted & cleaned up (y). It is always good to have new projects :wink:.
Thank you for the photos & sharing.

Blessings,
Dan

FOTIS":3d2n34pq said:
I like the 8mm
Thank you Fotis.
The front barrel band also has unrepairable rust from not being maintained properly. I'm just glad the original owner didn't shoot corrosive ammo in it. The bore cleaned up nice and bright once I got the copper and carbon fouling out of it. If one was to sporterize it and put it in another stock it would be clean of rust. the rust is on the bayonet stud and barrel bands.

I think you're right on the Spanish M43. Not especially collectable with your condition issues, but should be a fun shooter as-is.

I'm leaning towards not refinished. Rather arsenal re-blue and re-stock. They often just took sandpaper and a buffer to the pitted areas, then blued over the top and added a new barrel. Not especially familiar with the M43s, but ones I have seen look similar. Some of your rust and pitting appears recent from lack of care, some of it looks old, sanded and blued over.

Polaris":2qwcla8e said:
I think you're right on the Spanish M43. Not especially collectable with your condition issues, but should be a fun shooter as-is.

I'm leaning towards not refinished. Rather arsenal re-blue and re-stock. They often just took sandpaper and a buffer to the pitted areas, then blued over the top and added a new barrel. Not especially familiar with the M43s, but ones I have seen look similar. Some of your rust and pitting appears recent from lack of care, some of it looks old, sanded and blued over.
When my brother inlaw bought this rifle back in the 1960s there wasn't a speck of rust on it. He wasn't raised with guns and didn't know how to properly care for them. The Spanish Maltese Cross appears on the barrel band, trigger guard, bolt handle, safety lever, receiver and the barrel that I can see.
I found information on another web site the says it was one of 6000 made for commercial sales and fits all the descriptions for one of these rifles with the markings and 4 digit serial number.
For me it is more of a curiosity piece since I have never came in contact with one that I could disassemble and inspect to see how it was made.
For a military designed rifle the fit of all the parts are very precise and fit together very tightly.
The receiver recoil lug fits tightly against the recoil bolt that goes threw the stock the cast trigger guard housing with cast in pillars shows why they shot so well and was very accurate for a issue military rifle.
Because of the rust it isn't a quality collector item but still has value for other things and someone with the right parts could turn it into a piece with collectors value. I don't think you could find too many of the 6000 in as good of shape as this one but then there is always that one that is over looked.

Back