New Sako 85 replaces the Tikka T3

Glad to hear you are safe and secure, April. I'm ensconced in an easy chair with a heating pad on my leg, hoping to stop sniveling long enough to be able to hobble up and get a cuppa' joe. The Sako Bavarian is a very fine rifle, to be sure.

IMG_0907.jpgAs I said earlier, I recently purchased the same rifle in 30-06. Today was the second "group therapy session (first results were posted in the reloading section under "Group Therapy." The first session was primarily Hornady bullets with some old and new loads. Today I used Nosler AccuBond and Partitions (165 and 180 grains) with RL-17 and H4350.
The results:
The Sako really liked the 165 gr Partition with 56.5 grains of RL-17. The group was about .3 of an inch. It also liked the 180 grain AccuBond that gave a .8 of an inch with 57.0 grains of H4350. Interesting I also loaded up some Remington Core-lokt 180 with the same H4350 charge and got a 1 inch group. It did not like the 180 grain Partitions or the 165 grain Accubonds.

270elk;
Good god man that 165 PT group,
is ridiculously accurate! WoWzer!!
Well done, what a beauty
That's a smokin grouping from a "new barrel", for what ever it's worth the 30/06 I have here shot Hornady Precision Hunter Ammo,into a half inch at hundred yards? Factory Ammo!
Might want to check it out, if you ever need factory stuff?
E
April;
Thank you for the kind words, your such a classy lady! For your notes; I love fancy wood and fancy Gals!IMG_2151.JPG Lol And I also think the "Bravarian" :roll: is one of the all time great classic looks! So ditto on that!
E

Earle, thank you kind sir.

John, I have not seen a lot of Bavarians in the U.S., but from memory this forum has a member in Canada that also likes them. Dr mike might know him, but I forgot his forum name. Surprisingly my granddaughter has been smitten with the 308 85 Bavarian carbine. and so it will be hers.

I have to share this with you guys. Rodger sent me a pm and his words reminded me of a movie some of you might remember. Space Cowboys. Dr Mike, Rodger, Earle, sneaking over to Europe and rescuing me. The funny thing is, with the chips down I would not bet against us four lol

Dr Mike, have that cup of java delivered to you. Isn't that why men get married so they can be waited on hand and foot ? Hope that leg gets better real soon and you are back on your feet--literally

So that this post is not a total waste. 270Elk. That is a keeper for sure!

Europe":24dm9zwk said:
Earle, thank you kind sir.

John, I have not seen a lot of Bavarians in the U.S., but from memory this forum has a member in Canada that also likes them. Dr mike might know him, but I forgot his forum name. Surprisingly my granddaughter has been smitten with the 308 85 Bavarian carbine. and so it will be hers.

I have to share this with you guys. Rodger sent me a pm and his words reminded me of a movie some of you might remember. Space Cowboys. Dr Mike, Rodger, Earle, sneaking over to Europe and rescuing me. The funny thing is, with the chips down I would not bet against us four lol

Dr Mike, have that cup of java delivered to you. Isn't that why men get married so they can be waited on hand and foot ? Hope that leg gets better real soon and you are back on your feet--literally

So that this post is not a total waste. 270Elk. That is a keeper for sure!
DrMike just when you think you have a leg up on her she throws a zinger in there.
But I must admit that there are some men who marry to be waited on but there are also women who do the same. No wonder there are so many divorces when these two get together.
Now that I got that off my chest 270Elk that will work.

April, I believe the Canuck that liked the Sako Bavarian was from eastern Canada and his name was Lou. I am not sure if he carried the same handle while on the forum.
I had a number of great conversations with him for a time :wink: but have not seen him on the forum for quite awhile. I also remember that he really struggled with back issues.
I also remember that he was a 375 Hurt & Hurt guy :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

Europe":20tg5yu3 said:
Dr Mike, have that cup of java delivered to you. Isn't that why men get married so they can be waited on hand and foot ? Hope that leg gets better real soon and you are back on your feet--literally!

My bride is taking pretty good care of me. I'm limping around, which is so much better than crawling around. :mrgreen: I've said for years I was looking for a good-looking red-head who'd say, "Poor, sweet baby." My red-headed wife has always responded, "Keep looking." Sigh! :?

DrMike":7kafe8p5 said:
Europe":7kafe8p5 said:
Dr Mike, have that cup of java delivered to you. Isn't that why men get married so they can be waited on hand and foot ? Hope that leg gets better real soon and you are back on your feet--literally!

My bride is taking pretty good care of me. I'm limping around, which is so much better than crawling around. :mrgreen: I've said for years I was looking for a good-looking red-head who'd say, "Poor, sweet baby." My red-headed wife has always responded, "Keep looking." Sigh! :?

Love this post, love her!

Earle, was speaking to Cheyenne about the laws associated with hunting after landing and was curious about your laws in Maine. Will your new Sako be your "do everything" rifle and the rifle you will carry in your aircraft ?

Do you have to wait a day, a few hours, or ?

In Maine there didn't used to be ANY LAWconsirning aircraft , but then folks started flying over Moose and talking to guides on the ground with handheld radios, so hunters that did not have that advantage were upset and eventually the state came out with a law that says you can not use the plane in anyway for hunting....... So
We do all our scouting pre season and after then never start the plane during our hunts, as one year I flew out just to get fuel and hunters saw me flying up at 3000ft at full cruise speed, called the warden and informed him, I was probably trying to spot moose for my hunters. In New Zealand they refer to that as " the old green
eye".

The new Sako 85 will be my go to gun this year, it simply replaces my Tikka. I have a 2/10 Leupold
Vx6 mounted up.
Gun weighes 7lbs 10oz ready to go. Absolutely perfect balance, super nice set up, for what I do.IMG_2406.JPG

Back