New scope dilema

I am still kind of undecided on the rifle, I like the #1's, but I think I like bolt guns more. Not sure yet, I know I want at least a 24" barrel, and wood with carbon steel. I guess I have some time, I won't be doing anything for awhile. Maybe I will order some dies for the rifle, just so it doesn't lose its place in my thought processing! Scotty

Well, if you like bolt - action .25-06 rifles, here's a photo of mine:
1e1841e8.jpg

I ordered it right after I saw my first Rem 700 CDL. Loved the classic American style sporter stock and the clean, tapered 24" barrel along with the matte finish and the very comfortable stock.

Did I mention that the stock feels GREAT? It's much thinner than a regular 700 BDL or ADL stock and feels very light and handy.

This thing has become almost a magic wand for me. I will admit I missed one mule deer with it a few years ago - a shot I shouldn't have taken because I was winded from running up the ridge... Other than that, it has knocked rock chucks, coyotes and most importantly, mule deer down. Hard! Time after time. I've taken deer with it from 30 yards to 400 yards, no problem.

BTW - that's a fixed 6x Leupold atop the Remington. It works GREAT too.

Regards, Guy

Those CDL's are sexy and you're right about the stock Guy. It reminds me a lot of the older slick looking mountain rifles.

What is your go to load for that rifle? Do you shoot the same bullet for all game small and large?

The CDLs are indeed lovely rifles to look at, and to handle. Great picture, Guy, and an inspiring testimony to the rifle and the cartridge.

Guy,

I really like your rifle and scope combo, its a perfect match.

The bug for a Ruger #1B 25-06 has been there for a long time, a Leupold FX-3 6x42mm would be just about perfect for my needs.

JD338

The new VX-IIs are practically the same scope as the older Vari-X IIIs as far as I can tell. I have some of all of them. I think the VX-IIs in 4-12x (with AO) are my favorites of all. The 4-12x magnification would be perfect on a .257 Weatherby, but it an older Vari-X III in 4.5-14x should be every bit as good.

Guy Miner":3sipiuih said:
Well, if you like bolt - action .25-06 rifles, here's a photo of mine:
1e1841e8.jpg

I ordered it right after I saw my first Rem 700 CDL. Loved the classic American style sporter stock and the clean, tapered 24" barrel along with the matte finish and the very comfortable stock.

Did I mention that the stock feels GREAT? It's much thinner than a regular 700 BDL or ADL stock and feels very light and handy.

This thing has become almost a magic wand for me. I will admit I missed one mule deer with it a few years ago - a shot I shouldn't have taken because I was winded from running up the ridge... Other than that, it has knocked rock chucks, coyotes and most importantly, mule deer down. Hard! Time after time. I've taken deer with it from 30 yards to 400 yards, no problem.

BTW - that's a fixed 6x Leupold atop the Remington. It works GREAT too.

Regards, Guy

Guy, that is a great looking combo. I like the CDL alot also. Think it is Remington's real well made rifle, for a decent price. Here is a picture of mine. It wears a Vari X 3x9 Leupold. Scotty

DSC_0018.jpg

Sorry for the messy bench. I was in cleaning mode, when I tried to snap a picture. Scotty

the VX 2 is a good thought but I dont like the fine duples and you cant get teh regular duplex unless you get the 50 mm and by then if you shop around enough there are better deals on the vx3

It looks like I am going to get the monarch as I cant justify the extra 200 bucks.

I can get the 3-12 for under 300 shipped and teh best I can find on the VX3 is about 480

Plus I really want to get a new stock for my rifle too so the less I blow on teh scope the more faster I can get a stock

nothing is set in stone yet!

Nikon's are good scopes also. Nothing wrong with a Monarch. I have a Buckmaster, and it seems to be a great scope for the money, and I like the BDC system for hunting. Pretty easy to use and pretty fast for hunting situations. Scotty

Nikon is a better value and equal glass or better for what you pay for the competition, in my opinion/experience. I think you'll be happy with the Monarch.

My biggest fear is having a scope fog up!

when that 30" muley is looking at you 150 yds away

Hi there, I will bite. I also will go against the grain here and share what I use on my .257 bees. I have a factory one that has a 3.9 Ziess Diavari. The other is a custom Bee with a 4x12 ziess top of the line with a ballistic reticle.

My preference is to spend as much on optics than i do on the gun. My first .257 ran me about $1200, and the scope was about $1500. The custom gun ran about $3000 and the scope ran $2200. I am not rich, but this is my primary hobby, and i expect to hand both the rifles and the scopes down to my sons.

Why Ziess or Sawovski? I hunt in all kinds of conditions, but not as much as I would like. I had a top end Leupold, but could not make out the gender of a hog at first light. My friend took him with his Ziess after confirming that the hog was male. At that time, the difference in the scopes clearly confirmed that the Ziess scope was by far the better scope.

Had a similar problem a few years ago guiding whitetails at my place in Texas. My client had a leupold and could not make out a huge buck just after sunset. BUt, he used my 7mm and Ziess scope and bagged a 173 gross whitetail. On the way back from the taxidermist, he bought the Ziess scope at Cabelas.

My advice is to buy the very best scope that you can afford. You may miss the $100 or in my case, the $1000, but when you bag that trophy that other hunters or other scopes would not have allowed enough light for a clean kill, your will instantly forget about the money...
Hardpan

Hardpan, is there still a large difference between the scopes? Just wondering if you have noticed any increase in optical quality over the years compared to the European glass. Scotty

Hi there, this is from last july, the last time that I tested a wide range of scopes. American glass is quite good.

I have
1 Leupold (gave it away)
1 Swaro 30 MM
2 Swar0 1 inch
1 zeiss 1 inch
1 new Zeiss 30mm Best scope i ever owned! ballistic reticle RS-800
1 Kahles 30mm
1 Zeiss Conquest (big disappointment)

The best is the Ziess 30mm, then the swaro 30mm, then swaro 1 inch and ziess 1 inch *tied*, then the kahles, then the conquest, then the leupold.

I did a test in a valley with cattle and horse out to about 1.5 miles away. All worked well until sunset, then the leupold was not too good. the rest for another 20 minutes, and the 30mms started to shine, but not the kahles... At 1 hour after dark, I could still see the cattle, horses in the pasture with the swaroi, but I spotted a coyote with the Ziess. I could not find it in the other scopes. The moon was crescent, night clear... I swear that I could have shot the ziess all night long, with it being just better than the 30 mm swaro. Great coatings, glass, and reticle!!!
Hardpan

hardpan,

Great info on the scopes! Thanks for posting this.

JD338

Hardpan, that is really good info. I appreciate you taking the time to write it all out. Really puts it into perspective for us hunters! Scotty

Hi Guys,
thanks for the kind words. Next, I hope to try a nightforce. Looks like a pretty nice scope and some of the owners at our local gun shop swear by it.
Hardpan

Nightforce is a great scope. Very rugged. Not sure how the glass clarity compares to the Euro scopes though. Scotty

I've certainly shot a lot of rifles topped with Nightforce scopes. They are good, but for the money, I'm convinced there are better buys. I don't own any Nightforce, but I do own Swarovski, Zeiss, Kahles and Leupold scopes.

FWIW, Hornady uses Nightforce scopes to test their ballistics on all their loads from 100-200 yards. I noted this while on the factory tour last year.

Back