New scope dilema

nitis

Handloader
Dec 20, 2008
AS with most anything in life I always seem to have a hard time finding a place to draw the line especially when it comes to spending money.

Its like buying a new pickup they will all pretty much accomplish the end result but do you spend a little more on leather or other gadgets?

So looks like I got the goahead to spend a little money on a new scope this will be my primary rifle my 257 weatherby. Ideally I would spend 600 bucks and get a vx3 4.5-14. But I dont think I would ever attempt a shot at over 500 yards with this rifle even though the capabilities are there so there is not really any need for BDC turrets and I despise BDC or boon and crocket tyoe reticles.

So that leads me back to the Nikon monarch in either 3-12 or 4-16. Both bring about the same money and I have found them for as low as 350 shipped. I am really leaning this way as with shots out to 500 with the 257 bee you pretty much know that at 400 you put it on its back and 500 you hold over 12" give or take.

And is the monarch worth 100 bucks more than the buckmasters? As the buckmasters appears to do everything I like especially the side focus?

Then I find a used vari x III 4.5-14 AO for 379 now this is an older scope but my 3.4-10s have yet to fail me. but then I begin to creep back up in price and for about another hundred I can get a new one then another hundred and so on soon you are looking at swarovski money.

what would you do and dont tell me to get a burris FF2

nitis

I would stay with Leupold, they have the best warranty and customer service in the industry. And should you ever have a change of heart and want dials or a reticle change, 2 weeks turn around time from Leupold.:wink:
I would go with a new one, VX3 4.5x14x40mm Long Range with a Duplex reticle, side focus and 30mm tube. Leupold p/n 66410.

Sorry to spend more of YOUR money! :twisted:

JD338

Leupold period.........Unless you want to spend the money for a Nightforce. Actually I only use Leupold for my serious hunting rifles. I will put other brands(not Trashco) on fun guns or fair weather varmit guns. But only Leupold on serious guns.

My 2 Cents

so would you get the older used varix 3 at 380 I would love the LR but I dont think I can swing it.

nitis

I have always said buy the best you can afford. I have a Nikon Monarch UMC on my 22-250 because I didn't wait to save up a little more for a Leupold. Its a nice scope but I would rather have a Leupold for all the good reasons mentioned earlier.

I would go with the used Leupold over the Nikon, but that is just me.

JD338

Id go with the used Leupold myself. You cant beat vari x 3's. You still get the same warranty and customer service with a used Leupold.

Same here, go with the used VariXIII. Still has a warranty and a good scope for a great deal. Check out SWFA for the their display models. Might have something else.

I did just put a Nikon 4.5x14 Buckmaster with the BDC on a M70, my best friend borrows from me. It is a nice scope, but Leupold is really what I like the most and have the majority of my rifles so scoped. Scotty

dang I wish this cabelas coupon hadnt have expired on the 31st it would have got me 75 bucks off!

Driver soundl like you may have one or two to spare kick down

just kiddin

Of the scopes you listed, I'd go with the Leupold. You won't regret it.

I would go With the Leupold for a couple of reasons. Their waranty is awsome. Another one they are still American made and that has become a big selling poin on anything I buy anymore

I would go with the Leup. VX3, and most recently I got their 2.5-8X scope.

I have shot out to 400 yards on a range with a .308 Win and a VXIII 1.75-6X Leup. scope, and I found 6X at 400 to need a little help. For me that means 8X to 10X. I have not needed more magnification, and I have used a 10X out to 2,000 meters on a .50 BMG rifle.

jim

Take a hard look at the fixed 6x Leupold. They make two, one with a 36mm obj lens and one with a 42mm obj. I have both. Both are good, the 42mm obj version is very good. Likely the best low-light scope I've ever owned.

I'd highly recommend the fixed 6x with the 42mm objective lens. It's a GREAT scope! Wonderful "eye box." Excellent resolution & clarity. Last season I hammered a mulie at 400 yards with my .25-06, topped by the 6x42 scope. No problem. Magnification isn't everything, and fixed power scopes are very good hunting scopes.

Yes, it also works fine up close. Took another mulie at a whopping 30 yards with it... No problem.

Just thought I'd toss that one in the ring for consideration. I find the 6x42 is my all-time favorite hunting scope.

Regards, Guy

Guy I am actually a big fan of straight 6 scopes but for what they bring these days its tough not to step it up.

I think I am going to get the new 4.5-14 cds

Unless I get a smoking deal on something else in the meantime

I like the straight powered scopes also. I have been looking for something to put a straight 6x Leupold on. I would think it would be about perfect for a 25-06 or something of that class. Simple, and plenty of magnification for virtually all my hunting. I have a straight 4x Leupold on my slug gun, and it has served me very well. Zero never changes and it is rugged. Scotty

Yeah, I've done most of my hunting the past five or six years with a .25-06 and a fixed 6x scope. So far it's worked great from 30 - 400 yards on mule deer...

Between a 25-06 and a .45 cal lever gun I am kinda torn for my next rifle. I don't have either a .25 or .45 bore. I think I would get more use out of the 25-06 though. I already have a 358 Win for up close stuff. I think the 25-06 in a Ruger #1 would be a nice rifle for late season muleys and whitetails here at home. Scotty

A 25-06 is a great cartridge, and in the No. 1, it would be a fine piece of work.

Back