New scope for .222 Rem???

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
I am wanting to get a new scope for my .222 Rem. Its going to be used for mainly smaller game like squirrels and rabbits, and the occasional coyote. Right now it wears a VX3, 2.5-8. That scope works ok, but 8x is not my fancy anymore, and I also want target knobs on this rifle. I want a scope thats around 4-14, 4-16 with either a fine plex, or mil dot reticle and target knobs. I'm looking to spend around $300 on this scope. I've always been a leupold fan, but I"m not gonna be gettin the scope I want from leupold for $300. I looked through a couple catalogs and saw a couple I was interested in. I"ll list them here and I want to know what you all think. First is the Nikon buckmasters 4.5-14 w/ mil dot reticle. Scope seems nice for the price $290. I just would like to know if they have target knobs like leupold's or what?? Meaning you zero your scope for your load, then you have the allen wrench to loosen, then put the turret on "0"??? They kinda look low profile.. The second scope is the Weaver 4-16 fine crosshair. Its on sale for I think $300 at Natchez right now. I cant remember if this scope has target knobs or not, but I like the power, and reticle. THe other scope I was thinking about, but its on the very backburner is the Elite 3200 10x mil dot w/target knobs. I have never been a fan of fixed power scopes. I looked at Burris and didn't find anything that caught my eye. One other thing, I have never used the mil dot, it seems very complicated to me. However, I think I would like it once I learned how to use it. I am open to suggestions for any other scopes that you guys might think will work for me that I may have missed.

This one for less than 3 Bills~

I got one love it!

http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?pid=8931

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-rifle ... 14x40.html

scope_adj.jpg

Thanks POP. I still have 1 question left unanswered. Id like to see a pic of the adjustments on the 4.5-14 model w/out the caps on. Im just a little confused as to whether or not it has true target style knobs being low profile?? The scope you showed me a pic of was the 1/8" and it was the higher powered version with tall turrets, that looks great. Now if the 4.5-14 version has the same 1/4" resettable turrets, I think that will be the scope I'm going to get. But being lowprofile, I just want to see w/out the caps on to make sure.

Surf the net or e-bay for pix. I can not access e-bay from work along with a lot gun related sites. If you can not find anything pm me and I will take a pix of mine.

The Weaver V-16 has a low profile target knob 1/4" per click and I have them on my Howa 338 Win Mag. Prior to, it was in my 300 Win Mag. The clicks are not as pronounce as the Leupold but just as accurate. The Exatrac really works. Great scope for under $300.

Just got a new scope for my 222 rem., a Nikon buckmaster 6-18x40. I got it from The Optic Zone and it comes with target knobs and a sunscade at no extra charge. Great scope !

25-06,

Let us know how that scope works out! I'm looking at the exact same one for my 30-06. I'm on the edge of my seat.

Still waiting for someone to speak about the Cabela's scopes......good ... bad..???? I have two now....One on top of my .300RUM and working great ! The second on my .280 that shoots 1/2in and under @ 100.
Everything else is topped with Leupolds......which is extremely hard to beat with the new lines.

Back