New Scope purchase

Africa Huntress

Handloader
Feb 14, 2012
I am wrestling with which to buy ( I have narrowed it down to these two)

Zeiss Victory Varipoint ic 30mm or S & B Zenith flash dot #7

both are 1.5 - 6 - 42

what rifle it will set on or what animal it will hunt is not my question.

Which of these scopes would you buy and why, or better yet hopefully some of you already have one or both and can give me a quick critque of each and comparison of one against the other

thank you

Jamila

J, wished I could give an opinion of either. But I've never been disappointed with Zeiss glass and their new stuff is spectacular. I'd have to flip a coin. Doesn't seem to be a bad choice either way.

SJB358":26sbl4pf said:
J, wished I could give an opinion of either. But I've never been disappointed with Zeiss glass and their new stuff is spectacular. I'd have to flip a coin. Doesn't seem to be a bad choice either way.
+1
Keith

The Zeiss Victory is excellent glass, but the S&B is equal (and some would contend superior) in every respect. I believe it fair to say that few of us could distinguish between the quality of these two scopes. As an aside, Jamila, I was going to pick up a Zeiss 1.5-6X42 this past month, but sprung with my limited funds for another VX6. Can't believe I made that choice, but I did. I have a place for it when I do get around to picking it up (which may be a while now with our miserable exchange rate).

All the long range guys go for S&B. These guys buy the best glass they can get, so if they thought that Zeiss was better glass, they'd be buying it instead.

Thank you gentlemen for your responses

Dr Mike, my mother always liked Leupold and likes the 6 but got a little upset at their marketing of the 6, she also wished it had the same lens attachments as the 7. The scope I am looking for must excel in low light conditions as the only shot your going to get at this animal is at dusk and dawn.

Has anyone had a bad experience with Conetrol or Talley

and thank you all again

Jamila

Man, stumped me again on Conetrol but Talleys, got a slew of them and love them. Probably my favorite ring/base combo.

Thank you Scotty, I like the Conetrol product, but have some concern about the company future, hopefully they will be o.k., time will tell.

I am also looking at the 1-8 x 24 with the 7 Flash Dot, thanks to a suggestion from a friend

Best Regards

Jamila

Under low light conditions, the Zeiss and the S&B will perform admirably. I have quite a few Swarovski and Leica scopes and really like their glass for low light conditions. I have fewer Zeiss (Diavari and Victory), but they work well. Conetrol is a good mounting system. It just isn't marketed as aggressively as other mounts. Talley makes an excellent product. I appear to have more Talley mounts than any other. The mounts marketed today reduce us to preferences, but really there are no poor choices. They will work for you.

Most of the scopes your talking about are out of my reach but I do own one Zeiss Conquest and like it a lot I also picked up a Meopta Meopro which for me is out standing and I can see well in low light conditions with both. I think there is some real quality glass out there that can compete with the ones you've mentioned.
As for mounts for the money you can't beat Talley's. Control has been around a long time and they are relying on their reputation to get by with out a lot of advertising.

If you were not so lazy and actually "hunted" you would not need a 2000 dollar scope to hunt with. Most of the men on the forum use iron sights and spend their money on women and scotch, which is why you got so few replies. A 2000 dollar scope, who knows and who cares

Dr Mike, should I put some kind of a "face" after my post to Jamila ?

Hmmmm? Hard question, Cheyenne. :? I dunno' if it'll make any difference. 'Course, I'm still reeling as I haven't spent any money on scotch in quite some time. Does spending money on my wife and daughters count as spending money on wimmin? By the way, when I try hunting over iron anymore, I find I actually have to hunt by Braille. It sorta works out that if I feel teeth, I quickly go to the side. If I feel... Well, you get the idea. Consequently, where could I find a Zeiss Victory or a S&B for $2000? :shock:

DrMike":1vosdlg5 said:
Hmmmm? Hard question, Cheyenne. :? I dunno' if it'll make any difference. 'Course, I'm still reeling as I haven't spent any money on scotch in quite some time. Does spending money on my wife and daughters count as spending money on wimmin? By the way, when I try hunting over iron anymore, I find I actually have to hunt by Braille. It sorta works out that if I feel teeth, I quickly go to the side. If I feel... Well, you get the idea. Consequently, where could I find a Zeiss Victory or a S&B for $2000? :shock:
Hmmm I'm with DrMike on this one and as far as the Scotch goes I prefer short batch Bourbon by Jim Beam nice and neat(and I get this as a gift from friends). And my wife is the only woman in my life. The iron sights left me a while back and I have to use a diopter on my glasses to clear up the irons on my target pistols so hunting with irons are out of the question though I can still see fairly well at long ranges with out help. Having cataracts forming don't help either.
And a $2000 scope, if you can afford one buy it more power to you but I do love dreaming about it.

Dr Mike, you bet it can be your wife and daughter
Cheyenne, you keep working every day and some day, if your lucky you will be able to get a scope and until then, remember, nobody likes a smart a-- unless one of us are the one making the joke.

Jamila, as has been said--either/or--BUT, I agree with Scotty, I would look at the 1-8x24, I feel it would fit the purpose of this scope even better, with the exception of eye relief. Probably field of view as well, but if I understand the reasoning for buying this scope that is not going to matter. You will not find any better dusk or dawn scopes, in my opinion

Dr Mike, when you get a chance and since you live close to her, would you remind our friend from the North, that payback is a bitch.

Dr Mike, Scotty, Rodger, thank you gentlemen for your kind responses

Best Regards

Jamila

What? Me? Reminding a lady of any such thing is fraught with sufficient danger as to cause the most courageous man to quail. Wait! I think I hear my wife calling! "Yes, dear. Whatever you say dear." Have to run.

Africa Huntress":s1d6g8kz said:
Dr Mike, when you get a chance and since you live close to her, would you remind our friend from the North, that payback is a winch.

Dr Mike, Scotty, Rodger, thank you gentlemen for your kind responses

Best Regards

Jamila
Your more than welcome Jamila (y) .
DrMike":s1d6g8kz said:
What? Me? Reminding a lady of any such thing is fraught with sufficient danger as to cause the most courageous man to quail. Wait! I think I hear my wife calling! "Yes, dear. Whatever you say dear." Have to run.
There he goes running off to hide just when it would get interesting. :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back