New Toys!

BK

Handloader
Dec 14, 2008
I have been working so much I don't have time to get out and shoot, but the upside is I have a little more toy money. So I bought a 700SPS-SS in .257 Weatherby, and an ADL-SS in 7-08.

DSC_3150.jpg

DSC_3151.jpg

DSC_3153.jpg

The 7-08 has a Remington-branded 3-9x (probably, since they have the same parent company) Bushnell scope on it, and the .257 will probably get a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 until I decide what I want to leave on it permanently, probably a Conquest 4.5-14x44 or a Leupold VX III 4.5-14x40. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with the scope on the 7-08. I may decide to just see how it works, with the idea of trying to make it cry 'uncle', or I may drop another Conquest 3-9 on it, or maybe a VX II 2-7 or 3-9 LR Duplex. I've decided I want to somewhat standardize my scope brands on Leupold or Euroscopes, so that means that the B&Ls and Bushnells will eventually go bye-bye.

I also ordered a McMillan McSwirly (Remington Classic) for the .257, and it should be showing up today or tomorrow. I don't remember what color combo I ordered, tans, browns and black, probably.

Now if I could only find time to see what they'll do.

BK

Very nice set of sticks there, congratulations.

JD338

Thanks, JD. I was originally looking for a .243 for a .260 action donor when I bought the 7-08. I decided, well, I don't have one of those yet! Maybe the .260 will have to wait a bit.

Looks like some fine weapons there. You'll have to get a pic up when you get the McSwirly on it. I have one ordered for my 280 AI. I think you'll like the 7-08. My wife shoots one and the little thing just keeps growing on me.

A couple of fine rifles. Let us know what you think of the scope. I was not aware that Remington sold package guns.

BK":s8j3hvp5 said:
Thanks, JD. I was originally looking for a .243 for a .260 action donor when I bought the 7-08. I decided, well, I don't have one of those yet! Maybe the .260 will have to wait a bit.

That combo will cover most hunting requirements in NA.
What loads are you thinking of for each rifle?
The 110 gr AB or 115 gr PT in the 257 Roy is tough to beat. The 140 gr BT/AB/PT in the 7mm-08 covers most anything. The 120 gr BT is dynamite on WT deer.

JD338

DrMike":mq4gzigd said:
A couple of fine rifles. Let us know what you think of the scope. I was not aware that Remington sold package guns.

Mike,

I think Remington has offered rifle/scope packages since last year.

JD338

JD338":fsz2rnya said:
BK":fsz2rnya said:

That combo will cover most hunting requirements in NA.
What loads are you thinking of for each rifle?
The 110 gr AB or 115 gr PT in the 257 Roy is tough to beat. The 140 gr BT/AB/PT in the 7mm-08 covers most anything. The 120 gr BT is dynamite on WT deer.

JD338

100 eTip or 100TTSX or 110AB in the .257.

120 TTSX is what I was thinking initially in the 7-08, but I haven't really looked at what Nosler makes in lighter .284s. I'm sure a 140 Partition will do for BG.

257 Bee and 7mm-08? What a great combo you got there.

BK,

Sorry, I didn't realize you are in to Pb free zone in CA.

Nosler introduced this year the 7mm 140 gr E-Tip.

JD338

I just work in Kalifornia, so I'm not technically in a lead free zone when I hunt, but it's just a matter of time before the People's Republik of Oregon goes sans lead. I have a couple of 7mags that I can shoot heavy bullets out of, so I figured the 7-08 will stick with lighter bullets, and I'm not current on what the light bullet offerings from Nosler are. (The 7mags get nothing but 160gr. Partitions)

POP":alm5o3cj said:
257 Bee and 7mm-08? What a great combo you got there.

Add 'em to my SS M70 .300 WinMag, and SS Hawkeye .358, and I think I'm pretty well covered for wet weather!

I do agree BK. That would cover everything but Africa. :)

Congrats, those are some great looking rifles. Did you get the Remington rebate on those. I think they just listed it. Might send you a little money for your new rifles. Kinda makes me look harder at a CDL in 25-06 as they are giving a 100.00 rebate for the CDL's and some others. Scotty

Thanks, guys!

Good news... I was trying to dig through all the crap in my garage to see if I could start building my reloading bench, and I found the Vari-X II 3-9 LR that I thought I lost. Yippee!!

Plus, I just bought a Vanguard .223!

BK":16hopt9t said:
Thanks, guys!

Good news... I was trying to dig through all the crap in my garage to see if I could start building my reloading bench, and I found the Vari-X II 3-9 LR that I thought I lost. Yippee!!

Plus, I just bought a Vanguard .223!

Now that is to cool and sad at the same time :lol: :lol: Glad you found the scope :mrgreen:

Oops. I had a little down time at work today, waiting for my PM to call with land owner contact info. You know what the latest thing that is killing my bank account? An internet-enabled smart phone. To keep a long story from getting longer, I ordered a Ruger Hawkeye in 6.5 Creedmoor. Should arrive about the time I do. Now, what to scope it with, hmm...

That is a pretty cool little cartridge. Nice neck on it and looks like it should do well with the 26" tube Ruger puts on them! Scotty

Back