Newbe Questions .................

RemmyTim

Beginner
Jul 5, 2007
Well I have decided to give muzzleloading season here in Nebraska a try this year and am having some problems getting my rifle too shoot groups. The rifle is a CVA Kodiak 50 Cal and I have tried 3 different sabots (Powerbelt 245 & 295gr, and Knight 245gr) and 2 different powders (Jim Shockey's Gold and 777).I am also using Winchester 777 209 primers.

I was told by the salesman at Cabela's that a 245gr sabot and 100gr of powder will shoot just fine, well it's not. I get one to shoot where I aim and the next is 6-8" off (with open sights & using a scope). I am cleaning between each shoot with a Boresnake and cleaning the breech plug off.

Do I need to change to a different amount of powder (80gr or 150gr) or try yet another sabot weight?

Season starts in a few days and I would like to get this figured out so I can hunt opening morning.Any help will be appreciated.

Tim

I use the same load (245 PB's and 2 x 50 grain 777 pellets) in my Genesis and it shoots 5-6" goups at 100 yds, open sights, offhand, and aging eyes. I tried 150 grains (3 pellets) and they were all over the place, couldn't keep them on a paper plate at 100 yds. Looking at the way the "skirt" is attached to the bullet, and given the really low BC of the bullet itself, I'm satisified with the way it's shooting. I can tell that you tat at close range, less than 50 yards, that 245 gr hollowpoint makes a permanent and very fatal impression on deer lungs.

The salesman in Mitchell told me to put a patch in my mouth and start gently chewing it when I load the rifle. Use that patch to clean the barrel, two more dry ones, and then reload. Start chewing another patch when it's loaded. Give it good cleaning and remove the breech plug when the days' shooting os done.

Rifles are like people, each one is diffent.

I have a CVA MagHunter 209, with 80 grains of 777 FFG and a 300 grain T/C Shockwave it will shoot 3/4" groups all day.

When working up a load for my Dad's Knight disc it prefered 90 grains of 777 FFG and the 250 grain T/C Shockwave.

Another friends Knight was giving him fits with powerbelts. We found a load it liked with two pellets = 100 grain of Pyrodex and a 250 grain Hornady SST.

You have to experiement to see what she likes. You have to keep the bore clean, especially with the Shockwave/SST. They fit very tight. I run a patch with a little bit of T/C #13 down the bore after every two shots. Then run several dry patches after it.

I have always used loose powder. Try 90-100 grs (volume) of 777 with a 250 gr bullet and Sabot. I have had great success with the Nosler PT's, both .429 cal 250 gr and .451 cal 260 gr. My current load for my T/C Omega is 120 grs 777. The M700ML is 100 grs 777.

JD338

Back