Nightforce sale

These are great scopes and it would be fun to own one. I have a gunsmith buddy that laid down the long green for one, and we have played with it some during daylight hours. It was sorta a let down for us, after comparing it to some other stuff, and I am not knocking the scope,[Its a C135 and its HEAVY][The build on the Niteforce is very well done, and actually weighes twice the Swarovski] but to be honest I really felt it is way over priced . Optically I felt it is more of a $400 scope than a $1500 scope . I really dont know how they price some of this stuff?? As there is quite a bit of this stuff selling for a grand, and over that is more like 1% superior to some of the $500 stuff than the prices reflect???
I shot his Nightforce, Austrailian owned? {HAKKO}Japan lens?? Assembled in Idaho??(though some are marked made in Japan, on the bottom) one afternoon, and my brother in laws Swarovski[Z5 3-18x44] under the same conditions, and optically for us there was certainly a big difference.The Austrians having the upper hand again, and then some. Same basic powers and Obj lens size difference of 6mm larger on the Nightforce. I did NOT get a chance to compare them in real life dark conditions, but have no doubt there are some $300-500 scopes that will stand right up with that particular Nightforce scope, in light gathering abilitys. And even though the Nightforce has a 6mm larger Obj I would love to test it in really looooow light conditionsm and I would bet again the Austrians are in the same place. So it seams one is paying a tremendous premium; for the ability to dail the range on the turrets????
The reticule compensation is another whole story in it self, but the glass for us was nice but the pricing just was way out of line; imho...................... hope this doesnt offend anyone that owns one, as I realize when you pay that much for a scope, it is going to be the best thing since sliced bread. Ditto for the "Huskemaw Blue Diamond Series" even though the TV show Best ofT W shows you they can shoot animals a 1/4 mile away; A few friends that have used that scope, both told me it is a $400 scope optically. So the problem with all this, no mater how fancy the advertising is; On these range compensation turets is, How much better are they really than just a plain old VX- 3 with a set of CDS dails, that read the range ?? Mechanically they are well made no questions about that, But are they really thousand dollars better????? I would like to test the Nightforce C135 against a standard VX-3 with CDS in say the 4-14X50 and I am guessing out loud that at exactly half the price of the Nightforce scope it will do exactly the same thing,and optically would probably edge it out???
Interesting enough some dude was on another website and claims he did his own comparison against a S&B PM scope, and he could see absolutely no differences, in anyway??? {Bet he could if he had to pay for a S&B} So I have to guess, he is smokin crack?? Or is legally blind??? :shock:

imho, niteforce optically is not worth the price. Is it a tough scope with repeatable turrents and and can hold up to any recoil - absolutely. But when it's optics start going side by side with S&B, Swaro, Zeiss, Leica, Kahles, they turn real disappointing real quick

Idahotrophyhunter":7ptacjx2 said:
imho, niteforce optically is not worth the price. Is it a tough scope with repeatable turrents and and can hold up to any recoil - absolutely. But when it's optics start going side by side with S&B, Swaro, Zeiss, Leica, Kahles, they turn real disappointing real quick

That is my experience as well. They are bullet proof, though.

I want to rescope my 338 RUM and have been thinking Night Force.

JD338

JD338":2fxde856 said:
I want to rescope my 338 RUM and have been thinking Night Force.

JD338

I don't think you would like the glass Jim.. Check a few of them out, compared with Zeiss and such, I bet you'll see the difference if you check them in the evening. Awesome dials and such, but the glass is about like the Monarch glass you have on your 22-250.

That is an accurate description of the quality of the glass Jim, Scotty boiled that right down quickly.
Simple as that, and from what my Buddy's are telling me this is the same exact story with the Huskemaw stuff, very nicely done in the turret dept, but really falling waaaaay short on optical quality for the price they are charging.[This is hearsay I have not messed with the Huskemaw at all] I did read a comment somewhere on the internet a while back of someone comparing the Huskemaw to a Leupold VX3 and they said something about it having way more eye relief at the highest powers ??????? So not to sure about that dude either, as Leupold have never been bashful in the eye relief dept??? :?

2 words and I have owned some. Bulletproof but boat anchors!

Scotty, my experience with Monarch was not that good. The one that I owned was not as capable optically as my VX-II. That AU forum had some errors on it. Conquests are not Mexican made or even components. They are European components (Czech I believe) and assembled in the USA. I just bought another 3.5-10x44 Conquest and it is very capable. fairly compact and well made. I wish that I could afford two!

Scotty and Earle,

Thanks for your comments.
My buddy has a NF on his 30-378 and it seems like my Mark 4 is a bit brighter. I do like the feel of the NF dials and the lighted reticle.

I am really impressed with the Zeiss glass. They are bright and I am sure they would really shine in long range low light conditions.

JD338

I guess that Dr. Ray Dennis in Australia started NightForce Optics PV? I have never used a NightForce scope and can not comment on their optical performance. Their seems to be a lot of lore out there on how good they are? I know that they are considered to be very rugged.

I have three NF scopes, ( 5.5-22 50mm, 8.5-32 56mm and 12-42 56mm Benchrest). The clarity of the optics is no where near as crisp or bright as good Euro glass, but they still have the best repeatable mechanics (under $2000) for someone shooting bench, F-class or sitting in a p-dog town. When shooting matches of known distance, there isn't a need to have super high end glass like S&B, Premier, or other first focal plane scopes.

These scopes aren't meant to be put on rifles that will be humped up and down mountains. For the normal guy that wants a good scope for ranging and holdover on game, the Zeiss, Minox, Swaro and higher end Leupolds will always be a better option in my book. Save the big heavy NF scopes for the rifles you carry from your truck to the firing line or p-dog town.

That is kind of what I was thinking optics wise. Not going to sell my Swaro or Zeiss scopes for a NightForce, mostly just curious.

Having owned four nightforce scopes, i will say with confidence there isnt a $400 scope on the market that will be in the sameleague optically. Owning three schmidt/bender PMII's and hearing some "dude" put a leupold varix-3 next to a schmidt and couldnt see a bit of difference only suggests the DMV needs to revoke his drivers license and issue him a dog. I would have loved to have seen the comments posted shortly after he published his findings.

usmc 89":28d0awkx said:
Owning three schmidt/bender PMII's and hearing some "dude" put a leupold varix-3 next to a schmidt and couldnt see a bit of difference only suggests the DMV needs to revoke his drivers license and issue him a dog.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back