Nikon

jiggs

Beginner
Dec 5, 2005
My brother has his heart set on a nikon scope.I my self am sold on leopold ,and so have tried to talk him in to one . So with no succsess
he orded the nikon 3x10 -40 pro saff ...... GUYS ARE THESE SCOPES ALRIGHT..???

Actually the Nikon Monarch scopes are pretty good. I have a 5.5x15.5 on my 22-250 and a 2.5x8 on a contender barrel.
I too am a Leupold fan. Its hard to beat a VXIII.
I am going to buy a 4.5x14 B&C VXIII for my 280 AI this spring.

Regards,

JD338

Howdy. I have owned the 3-9 pro staff and it was a fine scope for the money. I have a 3-9 BuckMaster on my H@R ultra slug gun and it performs very well with that being said, there still not a Leupold.
Joe

The new nikon buckmasters are suppose to be a hell of a scope, but like another guy said, it still aint a Leupold. If Leupold was not in business, heaven forbid, I would probly go with a Nikon Monarch. You cant really beat VX3 or MK4 Leupold glass for the money.

Although I have several VX III leupold scopes, I have found the Nikon to be much clearer, when comparing apples to apples, power and Obj lense dia being the same. After some comparisons recently, I now have a Nikon Tactical 4X16X50 on order. That's not to say Leupolds aren't good scopes, they are. Just my $.02.

Nothing against a Nikon scope but a friend had one for sale recently and had a hard time selling it. He later sold a similiar Leupold the day he put it up for sale. In my part of the country the Leos sell used much better than any other brand. Just a consideration.

Leupold is #1 and has no peer for the blue collar man.

The Nikon's have half the mil thickness in their barrel tubes as Leupold. They will bend. Seen it.

I put a pro staff 3-9 on my 350mag Have'nt shot it much since I put it on. It is just as clear as VX II. I'm putting one on my 30/06 soon. The wife's 223 amd my mauser may get one too.

The Pro Staff is Nikon's entry-level lineup, so if you want to compare it to Leupold, compare it to the Rifleman series.

I use the Monarchs extensively and also have had a number of BuckMasters, both old and post-'05 versions. I've basically tortured them over time and have nothing but praise for both models.

But when it comes to value and performance, you won't top the Monarch for the price.

I work with optics daily and must rely on good glass to put bread on the table, so I know I can offer an unbiased assessment and an evaluation that isn't tainted with prejudice. And when one considers all critical optical categories, the Monarch rates slightly better than a comparable Leupold -- and the Nikon costs a bit less as well. But maybe the resolving power and edge-to-edge clarity aren't all that important for those who only hunt a couple times each year. It is for me, though. And when the light is fading fast and the long shadows take over, I want the clarity and contrast my Monarchs offer.

There's nothing wrong with Leupold. They are solid performers. But they are far from the last word in optics.

The Monarch compares, apples to apples, with the Vari -II. I went with the Monarch. The biggest consideration for me was difference in light transmission.

Long

The Monarch does not compare to the VX3 series in light gathering or anything else. It may be a bit cheaper, and thats because of other reasons already stated. Nikons are good scopes, but there not as good as Leupolds.

Nikon makes a heck of a good scope. I'm pretty sure thoes new side focus buckmasters are a great value and I plan on picking one up myself, however comparing these names to Leupold's VXIII series isn't right.

A high end VXIII is up there competing with Conquests, Schmit & Bender, Kahles, some Swaro's and some NF's though NF usually gets the nod.

I think Nikon makes a real good scope. I would consider them to be almost equal to a Burris, and certian Bushnells.

I don't hunt as often as a lot of people, but I do spend almost every weekend peering down a scope, and I can say I prefer Leupold scopes for the cost. If I could afford it I'd put a Nightforce on everything I own, but alas I just can't drop 1200-1600 on a scope.

Just my opinion. * Puts on flame suit.

jiggs":1vbrwjkd said:
My brother has his heart set on a nikon scope.I my self am sold on leopold ,and so have tried to talk him in to one . So with no succsess
he orded the nikon 3x10 -40 pro saff ...... GUYS ARE THESE SCOPES ALRIGHT..???
I have not went over the Pro Staff yet. However, I used to sell a lot of different optics. Let me explain some things first, which you may already know. 1) Everyone gets lenses from Europe, and scope and binocular lenses are all reject camera lenses. There are BaK4 and BaK7 lenses, with the 4s being the best. BaK7 lenses will be found in cheap optics. 2) Every scope has 4 lenses, and there is .5% of light absorbed per lens, with the best possible coating available(so the best light transmittion you can have is 98%, and if anyone argues with you, they are wrong). 3) Probably the most important feature of a scope is the suspension. The scope tube rests between the turrets and the suspension. The better the suspension, the better job a scope does of returning the scope tube back to its previous position, therefore maintaining its zero. 4) Leupold scope test are equivalent to firing a 375 H&H Magnum 7500 times, they actually mount them to a block and drop the block a certain distance to simulate recoil. 5) Now, the human eye will detect about a 5% difference in light transmission. So, if you have an LPS with 98% light transmission, and a scope with 95% light transmission, you cannot tell the difference (if the tubes, objectives and eyepieces are the same size).
Now, the fact of the matter is, good quality scopes will handle most calibers with most loads. The reason better scopes perform the best, is because they keep their zero when being banged around. The abuse the scope takes, away from actually shooting it, is what makes a scope good, better,best. Coincidently, I had my Leupold and Nikon Reps. in one day when I used to work retail. I was very suprised that my Leupold Rep told me, "for almost every situation, the Nikon is the better buy. If you can get the Leupold for the Nikon price, by all means, but typically it is overkill." "Unless you are shooting super calibers and in the nastiest terrain, then the Leupold, however the Nikon will probably work just as well." Keep in mind he was speaking of comparable models. Monarch to Vari-III, Buckmaster to Vari-II.

remingtonman_25_06":m4ky2ijh said:
The Monarch does not compare to the VX3 series in light gathering or anything else. It may be a bit cheaper, and thats because of other reasons already stated. Nikons are good scopes, but there not as good as Leupolds.
When comparing price, the Monarch compares to the Vari-II, but features compare to the Vari-III

I just got a 4.5x14 Buckmaster mildot so I can play long range games on target on my 416 WBY. :lol: It has the side focus BTW. We will see.

POP":1em405wz said:
I just got a 4.5x14 Buckmaster mildot so I can play long range games on target on my 416 WBY. :lol: It has the side focus BTW. We will see.
What range are you looking to shoot? I have hit an 8" ding plate at 500 yards with my 270 Win Steyr SBS. I was zeroed at 200 yards, and just read what my ballistic tables said, and ding. I was thinking, "holy man that works." My scope, 2-7 Monarch, as this set up is my deer rifle. The guys shooting long range weapons at 300 yards, were a little mad. It was great, the first ding, the one guy says,"hey, you just hit that!" I said, really? I could not hear, because I was sitting next to a trash barrel, and was getting a sound from the barrel when the gun went off, but they could hear it plain as day. 130 gr bullet, 59.7 g of IMR 4831, pushes the bullet about 3250 fps at the muzzle.

Back