Nilgai hunt

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I had mentioned a friend invited me to a nilgai hunt several weeks ago, but rain, muddy roads and work prevented that from happening. I still have that itch so I contacted an outfitter and met with him locally today to leave a deposit and scheduled the hunt for May 12. The 300 Win Mag will see its first harvest, using 200 grain ELD-X pushed by RL-26. Made a deal for two nilgai cows for a meat hunt, or if I see a huge bull, I may be tempted to make the swap from " cow to bull". Oh boy, can't wait.

I had mentioned a friend invited me to a nilgai hunt several weeks ago, but rain, muddy roads and work prevented that from happening. I still have that itch so I contacted an outfitter and met with him locally today to leave a deposit and scheduled the hunt for May 12. The 300 Win Mag will see its first harvest, using 200 grain ELD-X pushed by RL-26. Made a deal for two nilgai cows for a meat hunt, or if I see a huge bull, I may be tempted to make the swap from " cow to bull". Oh boy, can't wait.
I am sure it will be a great hunting experience and the meat tastes great. Never killed one, but was on a few hunts for them

Congratulations TD! I’m looking forward to following your experience on this adventure. This is a hunt my son and I would like to do.
Have a great hunt!!
Duane

Sounds interesting. Could you provide us with some of the particulars? The who, what, when, where & how.
My buddies and I have discussed a nilgai hunt every now and then but just haven't thrown the switch yet.

Sounds interesting. Hope you enjoy the hunt as well as the meat. Looking forward to the story and pictures. As Red Green said, " I'm pulling for you". Dan.

Sounds interesting. Could you provide us with some of the particulars? The who, what, when, where & how.
My buddies and I have discussed a nilgai hunt every now and then but just haven't thrown the switch yet.
There are several private ranches in South Texas, such as the King Ranch which has about 835,000 acres :oops: , El Sauz, The Kenedy Ranch, La Coma Ranch, Double Shot Outfitters, etc. Some provide lodging for 2 to 3 day hunts, package hunts like a hunt plus a day of fishing in the Laguna Madre which is fun. There are so many different packages / hunts for different species. Most per person nilgai packages cost upwards from 3500 to 5000 bucks, and extra persons are extra fees. I rarely use an outfitter to hunt, since I used a seasonal lease which I had for 15 years, until the owner sold the ranch last year. That was sad, but I decided not to search for another lease, its getting too expensive especially a well managed lease like the one I had where we feed protein year round and manage the ranch. Most leases nowadays are overhunted and have too many hunters which made me decide to opt out and go for day or 3 day hunts only. Day hunts aren't as exciting as seasonal leases where you can go so many times and experience day to day activities outdoors and I miss that. I have not hunted since January 2022 and this nilgai hunt is the hunt I really look forward to, so super excited.

One thing that has been picking on me since the day I made the deposit 2 days ago which is,,,,where do I place the 200 ELD-X bullet on a tough bull if it was broadside,,right up halfway mid body right up the front leg or at the crease behind the shoulder? I wondered if the ELD-X 200 grain is too soft on bone launched at 3,080 fps at the muzzle? Nilgai anatomy is different from a deer, its heart and lungs are more forward between the shoulders unlike deer. I want an exit for sure since the skin is elastic and will close up on the entrance wound and make blood tracking a little tougher. I prefer the AccuBond, but I don't want to test any bullets right now, I'm swamped with work. I have shot a few bulls with a 7 STW and 150 Swift Scirroco at the crease, in and out the other side, and they have ran about 50 to 75 yards and blood trail was very minimal. I won't be happy to drag one out of thick thorny brush, lol.

There are several private ranches in South Texas, such as the King Ranch which has about 835,000 acres :oops: , El Sauz, The Kenedy Ranch, La Coma Ranch, Double Shot Outfitters, etc. Some provide lodging for 2 to 3 day hunts, package hunts like a hunt plus a day of fishing in the Laguna Madre which is fun. There are so many different packages / hunts for different species. Most per person nilgai packages cost upwards from 3500 to 5000 bucks, and extra persons are extra fees. I rarely use an outfitter to hunt, since I used a seasonal lease which I had for 15 years, until the owner sold the ranch last year. That was sad, but I decided not to search for another lease, its getting too expensive especially a well managed lease like the one I had where we feed protein year round and manage the ranch. Most leases nowadays are overhunted and have too many hunters which made me decide to opt out and go for day or 3 day hunts only. Day hunts aren't as exciting as seasonal leases where you can go so many times and experience day to day activities outdoors and I miss that. I have not hunted since January 2022 and this nilgai hunt is the hunt I really look forward to, so super excited.

Thanks for the info. We've got to look into this further. Do you know if they are capable of butchering and shipping the meat out? We would likely fly in.

Thanks for the info. We've got to look into this further. Do you know if they are capable of butchering and shipping the meat out? We would likely fly in.
They probably have their butcher of choice, they should be able to do it.

Back