No Love for the 7 Mag?

I have a love for 7mm(s) and own a 7mmx57, (2) .280 Rem and a 7mm Rem Mag. I purchased my Winchester model 70 7mm Rem Mag in 1965 and have used it in Wisconsin, Colorado and Canada to take deer, bear, moose and elk. Its one of my favorites and will be in my gun rack as long as I am alive. Like many of you I've had thoughts about adding a 280 AI to the list. Why? Because I want one.

I own a Savage 111FCNS in 7 Mag, I bought it for a NM combo hunt. I really like it, easy to shoot, accurate, and powerful enough for anything in North America.
The only downside IMO, is brass can be hard to get and can be expensive. I would like to dabble in the .280 Ackley Improved, just for the absence of the belt. 160gr. Accubonds perform best out of my rifle. I tested the Berger VLDs but I ran out of time testing before my hunt, never did get great groups with the Bergers. I'd like to try the AccuBond Long Range bullets to see how they perform. Anyway, + 1 in the 7-mag fan group!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well since the doctor told me I need to exerciser my knee I broke down and loaded some 7Rm to fire form the brass and it might make the trip to Montana as a back up rifle.
I loaded up 20 rounds with some 140BT this evening and hope to get to the range this weekend to do some shooting. That should give the knee a work out.

Sold my 7mm magnum years ago. I love the .284 caliber rifles, and now shoot the 280AI. I love it even more.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ive used a 7mm mag in one way or another off anf on for 15 years. Still have my longest kill with the good ol 7 mag. I like to think I have the best worlds now with my 7-300 win mag :) Ill never be without a 7mm of some sort, they ate the best all around performer IMO for big game at LR

Bought my gf a kimber lightweight in 7/08couple months back and will be going back to get my kimber lightweigh mountain rifle in a 280 AI...My 7-300 win mag getsa but heavy packing at 15# lol

Hard to beat the 7's... their bullets are only getting better and better every year.

I think you'll dig the 280 Jorey. Can't see it sucking carrying it around MT Emily at all.

One of the older guys in my hunting group had a 7mmRM and I was in awe of it as a kid. I watched him kill deer WAY out there with is and always wanted one. I inherited a Browing A-bolt from my late father in law, but could not get it to shoot so I sold it and got a Tikka T3 and it loves 150 grain partitions and btips. I used it last year to shoot my first ever mule deer and it did the job. I plan on using it his winter for a doe hunt in ag fields. I love the round and the T3.

I love the 7mm Remington Magnum. I'm on my third rifle of that caliber and all have been great rifles. Its versatile and pleasant to shoot. Simply put, its a great hunting rifle/cartridge.

I love the 7mm Remington Magnum. I'm on my third rifle of that caliber and all have been great rifles. Its versatile and pleasant to shoot. Simply put, its a great hunting rifle/cartridge.

7mm magnum fan myself. I saw a couple close range bullet failures from my buddy that didnt know any better(Power points or some other generic soft points). With controlled expansion bullets, it is a real winner but arguably overkill for most situations. I still have my "7mag" and probably will Always have one, but I am really loving the 7mm-08. It has 90% of the old "7mag"s power and that's not a bad spot to be!

Well the more I shoot it the more it grows on me and I may eventually learn to like it.
I got to go to the range yesterday and shot the 338 some and took the 7mmRem along to fire form some brass.
Here's a picture from the ten rounds fired from the 7Rem. I loaded these with 140gr BT and R22 from the Nosler E-manual that was the best powder combo for this bullet.
I was adjusting the elevation since it printed low and wanted it to shoot high and it still needs a few more clicks up.
This would make a dandy dear load.

Attachments

• KIMG0403.jpg
    KIMG0403.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,193
Definitely putting the rounds where they would be needed. Yeah, it could be easy to fall hard for something like that!

I have loaded for the 7mm mag for likely 30 years or better but have never owned one :wink:.
Most of my 50 plus years of hunting was with my 270win and using the Nosler 130gr. Partition bullet :wink: it has always done the job for me. For a few years in the mid 80s I used the 375 H&H exclusively and I am very fond of that calibre as well.
Since gettting involved with this crew I guess you might say that I have broadened my horizons :shock:.
I still have my CDL in the 270win but she has become a safe queen over the last 5 or 6 years and after many talks with DrMike I have taken a liken to the 284 calibres and now own a 280AI which is just a peach to shoot :wink:.
If I could only have a 2 calibre arsenal it would be a 280AI and my 35 Whelen.
But again the old saying is there are so many calibres and to little time :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Rodger that is some fine shooting my friend (y) and what is not to like about that combo :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":3pl8yka8 said:
Rodger that is some fine shooting my friend (y) and what is not to like about that combo :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan
I don't know since I didn't run it over the chronograph I can only rely on Noslers printed velocities for the load since I took it straight out of the E-manual OAL and all. First time I have ever got a book load to shoot good in any of my rifles and have only used them as starting points.
First 3 shots went .518" and then I pushed one high and followed up with one next to the first 3, added 4 clicks elevation and shot 5 more. I had to wrap the barrel with a wet towel to cool it down between shots so it wouldn't take me all day to do my shooting.
The wet towel cuts cooling time in half.

I love the 7 Mags. The Mashburn has been excellent for me. I've even been monkeying around with the real heavy bullets as well.

And TD, that rifle is a shooter. I think you had a great shooting 160 AB load as well didn't ya? That's a heckuva spare to take to Montana.

Yes I do have a good 160gr AB load that will make the trip.
I guess because I have been shooting rifles that have 30lbs or more recoil sort of makes me think the 7Rem it's a pip squeak cartridge.
I've also considered chambering it to something a little bigger but not sure if it is really worth it.
Maybe a 28 Nosler would fill the ticket to handle the heavier bullets since I'm not looking to get maximum velocity out of it.

There isn't anything pip squeak about the 7 Rem Mag. I know you love the 30-06 and don't think the same way and there isn't anything the 30-06 will do that a good 7 loaded similarly won't do a little better at distance. No offense to the 06 as it is a great one, but the 7 Rem is popular cause it works.

The 160 AB was throwing at a stout 3,145 fps out of the 7Mag last weekend with 72.8 grains Retumbo. I like it.

Back