Non-mag BTs, ABs and PTs?

captdavid

Beginner
Jan 30, 2005
I prefer a bullet that is a little soft to one that is a little hard. I'm of the old school of the energy that is expended on the other side of the animal is waisted. I also will not take extreme raking or Texas heart shots at un-wounded animals. I used 150 BTs in my '06 when they first came out. They were accurate, but somewhat inconsistant, to say the least, on game. I mainly shoot deer(150lb max) and pigs to around 250lbs. I prefer to shoot smaller pigs, but one must be prepared. I changed to 165gn BTs and they perform OK.
Now to the question; at non-mag velocities (2600-2900) which 7mm 140 or 150 and .308, 150 or 165 bullets would you use:BTs, ABs or PTs? Of course I will not use one that is not accurate. thanks, and sorry if I was to verbose, capt david :grin: :?: :grin:

I would probably use 140 gr. ab's in the 7 mm. I would'nt use either weight you stated in 30 cal. I would use a 180 gr. ab.

Boy, isn't that awful heavy for animals under 200lbs? Will that open on a 125lb deer? thanks capt david :grin:

I've shot quite a few deer that were under 200 lbs with various 180's in an '06. In fact one of the quickest killers for me has been the nosler 180 pt. I use 59 grs. of R/L 22 with the 180 gr. bullet. This gives me 2757 f.p.s. I know some fellas that use the 30 caliber bullets that you mentioned with good results, it's just that I've always favored heavier bullets.

Back