Northern Lights and a brown bear photography

DDexpress

Beginner
Sep 19, 2024
Wanted to share a photo I took of the northern lights here in Michigan. I love photography, both landscape and wildlife! If anyone has any tips and tricks, I am eager to learn! This was taken from my cell phone as I kicked back in my lawn, amazed. (I do have a Minolta MN35Z camera but have not figured out the right settings to capture the northern lights. I’d love some direction or type camera recommendations.) The other photo is of one of the North American brown bears I cared for at a zoo! His name is Scooby and he was very proud of the branch he was given for enrichment! Bears are one of my favorite animals! Hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_7012.jpeg
    IMG_7012.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7521.jpeg
    IMG_7521.jpeg
    998.6 KB · Views: 12
I have found the northern lights app on the iPhone does a good job. I get to see the lights quite a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_5455.jpeg
    IMG_5455.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5467.jpeg
    IMG_5467.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5566.jpeg
    IMG_5566.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1293.jpeg
    IMG_1293.jpeg
    351 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1294.jpeg
    IMG_1294.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1298.jpeg
    IMG_1298.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4721.jpeg
    IMG_4721.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4719.jpeg
    IMG_4719.jpeg
    379.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4725.jpeg
    IMG_4725.jpeg
    392.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4717.jpeg
    IMG_4717.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 5
Wanted to share a photo I took of the northern lights here in Michigan. I love photography, both landscape and wildlife! If anyone has any tips and tricks, I am eager to learn! This was taken from my cell phone as I kicked back in my lawn, amazed. (I do have a Minolta MN35Z camera but have not figured out the right settings to capture the northern lights. I’d love some direction or type camera recommendations.) The other photo is of one of the North American brown bears I cared for at a zoo! His name is Scooby and he was very proud of the branch he was given for enrichment! Bears are one of my favorite animals! Hope you enjoy!
The great bears are fascinating. I spent 20 years dancing with them out on the Alaska Peninsula. Wish now I would have had more opportunity to photograph them. Welcome aboard, I’m sure you’ve seen we have a number of good photographers here.

The great bears are fascinating. I spent 20 years dancing with them out on the Alaska Peninsula. Wish now I would have had more opportunity to photograph them. Welcome aboard, I’m sure you’ve seen we have a number of good photographers here.
Thank you! I am excited to be here! My goal is to eventually move to Alaska, I have yet to make it out there to experience it. My boyfriend works at a goldmine out there and I have been fascinated with all he’s shown and told me about it. I have absolutely noticed the number of great photographers here and hope to learn and find some inspiration from you all!

Thank you! I am excited to be here! My goal is to eventually move to Alaska, I have yet to make it out there to experience it. My boyfriend works at a goldmine out there and I have been fascinated with all he’s shown and told me about it. I have absolutely noticed the number of great photographers here and hope to learn and find some inspiration from you all!
Do you know where the mine is?

I'm not familiar with your camera and mine are all film 35 MM and a couple of 2.5x2.25 and a 2,5x2.25 size. (Japanese Rolliflex copies and a Mamiya 6x7.) They use 120 film size. If I was in a position to take phots of the northern lights I'd try using a tripod in possible and set the shutter at 1/2 second, one second the on bulb(B) for two and four seconds, carefully note which setting is which and use the one that gives the best results.
Paul B.

I'm not familiar with your camera and mine are all film 35 MM and a couple of 2.5x2.25 and a 2,5x2.25 size. (Japanese Rolliflex copies and a Mamiya 6x7.) They use 120 film size. If I was in a position to take phots of the northern lights I'd try using a tripod in possible and set the shutter at 1/2 second, one second the on bulb(B) for two and four seconds, carefully note which setting is which and use the one that gives the best results.
Paul B.
Thank you! I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help!

Well get your butt up there and have your beau fly you out to Katmai national park next July or August. You’ll see a ton of bears. Go to the falls with every body else but take your fly rod and waders. Hike to the upper end of the river at Brooks lake, fish your way down to the falls. You’ll see bears. You have to leave the river a short way above the falls so you dont get eaten. Go a short ways below the falls and fish your way down to Naknek lake. You can do it in half a day. You’ll see plenty of bears.

Attachments

• IMG_5305.jpeg
    IMG_5305.jpeg
    529.7 KB · Views: 2
I have found the northern lights app on the iPhone does a good job. I get to see the lights quite a bit.
Those are some beautiful photos! Thank you for sharing! I have also found the aurora apps to be pretty informative and same with a couple of Facebook groups.

Well get your butt up there and have your beau fly you out to Katmai national park next July or August. You’ll see a ton of bears. Go to the falls with every body else but take your fly rod and waders. Hike to the upper end of the river at Brooks lake, fish your way down to the falls. You’ll see bears. You have to leave the river a short way above the falls so you dont get eaten. Go a short ways below the falls and fish your way down to Naknek lake. You can do it in half a day. You’ll see plenty of bears.
That is an absolute dream of mine! Thanks to you, I now know the prime way to experience this!!

Back