Nosler 125grBT

wildman

Beginner
Jun 13, 2009
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong ?My rifle is a rem.700lvsf 308win. I've tried loading win748,IMR3031,IMR4895 played with seating depths from 2.750 all the way out to max. listed c.o.a.l and the best I can get this bullet to group is right around 1 1/2 inch.
I tried sierra 125gr bullet put 3 into the same hole with a load of 43.5gr of IMR3031 ..Really want to use the nosler bullet because of the better B.C. But dang I can't get it figured what I'm doing wrong any help would be much appreciated....

wildman

Welcome to the forum.

It could be that your rifle just doesn't care for the Nosler 125 gr BT.
I would give Varget a try.
As for seating depth, can you be more specific on the max length?
Are you loading to SAAMI spec of 2.810"? If so, you can load longer but it is recommended that you have at least caliber seating depth.

JD338

J D I started at 2.820 and worked my way back to 2.750 got my best group at 2.770 which was right around 11/2 didn't measure the group but was very close to this size group 3 shots..It's looking like this ol' girl just likes a green box ..

It could be partial to the green box.
What are you using the 125 gr BT for? Have you considered the 150 gr BT?
I still think you should give Varget a try. :wink:

JD338

J D I'm using the 125grBT for deer coyote few feathered friends .Would love to try some varget but out of it and darn hard to find around here right now .My buddy has a savage heavy barrel 308 and his gun shoots the nosler 125grBT awfully good with win.748 was hoping my gun would shoot them good to so we could order bullets and powder in bulk and save a lil money ..

Wildman, what Primers are you using?
You may also want to try some BLC2 and cci benchrest primers.
+1 on Varget.

You might also try RL15.

If it doesn't like any of those powders, I'm with JD. Green Box.

Sniper I have been using cci large rifle primer been thinking about trying some cci benchrest primer ,I have some h322 powder here I may try it and the benchrest primers and see what happens ...

I'd try the H332. CCI 200's should work just fine with it. I actually thought about H332. It has a good reputation for being accurate, just not the fastest for the .308.
After all, it not like we can just run out and buy powder and primers right now. :roll:

+1 W/JD on the Varget,

Generally the .308's dont' appear to be too finicky on powerder from what I hear...about like th 7-08's.
I'd think the 150gr + would certianly be a better choice in the accuracy dept as well as that B.C. your looking for.

Agreed with the above as well on box color... may like different colors

without running the numbers I'm gonna say that the difference in BC between those 2 bullets isn't gonna make much difference in the trajectories at the distances they'll stay supersonic with 308 win velocities.
RR

Wildcat if you don't mind me asking what depth are you seating your bullets too...

Ridgerunner I haven't run the numbers on the b.c either the nosler is a much better looking bullet but looks don't make one perform .It's unreal how well my gun will shoot the 125gr. sierra ..

Wish I had some of either powers pop but here is what i have to work with IMR3031,IMR4895, IMR4064,IMR4350,IMR4831,H4831 H380,H322,H450,and r/l#19 out of these which would you recommend... :grin:

I have a box of 100 nosler solid base part#39585 150gr. bullets are these the same as the nosler 150gr Bt that they are making now or are they different from the ones there making now ?????

wildman

The Solid Base is what evolved into the Ballistic Tip, they are different bullets. Nosler discontinued this bullet quite a few years ago but reintroduced it for a limited run. It is a great dear bullet, expands slower than the BT. I wouldn't hesitate to use this bullet on deer, its a proven performer.

JD338

J D these are a Ballistic tip but they are some I have had for along time was wondering if they where some of the earlier bullets that where extremely explosive the o.a.l is shorter than what nosler web site says there B t are now....

Can you describe the box, better yet, post a picture of the box?
Even if they are the older style, keeping the impact velocity around 2500 fps and they will work just fine.

JD338

J D I'm not good at posting pics but can describe the box is black with red and green sticker running the length of the top and sides white oblong circle on top of the box it says 100 solid base bullets Nosler .30Cal.(.308)-150 Grain on top of box.The O.A.L. of one of these bullets is 1.196....

Back