Nosler 175 ABLR

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
I'll say this bullet is a winner . I wrote the info on the target . it penetrated 18" , really put a dent in the next jug , but didn't make it leak . .567 " dia .weighs 80.5 grain roughly 3140 FPS impact velocity . shot from 20 yards . about half MOA groups .

P8160917.JPG

P8160916.JPG

P8160915.JPG

Gonna have to consider this one as well in my new 7mm RM, I believe it's supposed to work in a 1 in 9 twist. Thanks for posting Jim.

I had to see for myself what all the fuss is about , it's a 7mm Mashburn . 25" bbl with an 8 twist . seems to shoot pretty good . Gerry , I'll probably take this combo moose hunting . it looks like a winner to me .

P8160921.JPG

P8160918.JPG

Beautiful rifle. There are a few guys here that shoot the 7mm Mashburn. Good luck on the moose hunt!

That is a load that'll hunt. You should do well on about any game you should ever hunt with that load/rifle combination.

TD , I forgot to mention it's about a twin to the 7LRM .

thanks Fellas , I do like the rifle . a couple of us paid a deposit for a Newfoundland moose hunt Sept 2021 . looking back I'm glad we had to book a year out , hopefully the covid virus will be all over by then .

Well son of a gun Jim! I didn't know you were a Mashburn shooter!

And man, that 175 is moving OUT! You'll have to shoot me some details on that rifle. It kinda looks like the one Matt built.

I am so glad you got that 175 ABLR to shoot cause gosh darn, I couldn't steer them to the target that well if I held their hand.

Very nice looking rifle buddy and that cartridge has become a huge favorite for me!

SJB358":2js6y8xf said:

And man, that 175 is moving OUT! You'll have to shoot me some details on that rifle. It kinda looks like the one Matt built.

I am so glad you got that 175 ABLR to shoot cause gosh darn, I couldn't steer them to the target that well if I held their hand.

Very nice looking rifle buddy and that cartridge has become a huge favorite for me!

so far I do like the rifle & cartridge . it seems to shoot well ,and has plenty of horsepower . some messing around forming brass , but not bad . I've read the brass lasts fairly long . so no big deal .

McMillan edge stock , 25" 8 twist rock creek #3 cut rifle , stiller predator action , Wyatt 3.825 box , jewel trigger , about 8 pounds ready to shoot .

jimbires":14aojckb said:
SJB358":14aojckb said:

so far I do like the rifle & cartridge . it seems to shoot well ,and has plenty of horsepower . some messing around forming brass , but not bad . I've read the brass lasts fairly long . so no big deal .

McMillan edge stock , 25" 8 twist , stiller predator action , Wyatt 3.825 box , jewel trigger , about 8 pounds ready to shoot .

That’s a dandy set up Jim. I’m not sure a fella could do any better and 8lbs is pretty danged nice for carrying and shooting.

Glad you like it. Once you get past forming the brass and handling donuts my brass has infinite firings and still keeps hammering away.

SJB358":1abg5zp4 said:
jimbires":1abg5zp4 said:
SJB358":1abg5zp4 said:

McMillan edge stock , 25" 8 twist , stiller predator action , Wyatt 3.825 box , jewel trigger , about 8 pounds ready to shoot .

That’s a dandy set up Jim. I’m not sure a fella could do any better and 8lbs is pretty danged nice for carrying and shooting.

Glad you like it. Once you get past forming the brass and handling donuts my brass has infinite firings and still keeps hammering away.

that sounds good Scotty . I have been messing with the donuts . I didn't mention above , it's a rock creek #3 cut rifle barrel .

Fine accuracy. Lots of velocity and power. Excellent bullet and quite a rifle. (y)

I think some moose is in deep trouble and just doesn't know it yet.

Guy

Mines become one of my favorites Jim. I have kept it simple with the 6x36 with dots.

It’s a baby to shoot and 175’s at 3090 have worked great for me.

looks good Scotty . 400 yards with a 6 power scope is a hard way to go . about how big are your circles ?

you're running 175's at 3090 , so I guess I'm not out of line with the ABLR at 3140 . the bullet has a fairly short bearing surface . it shows no pressure , seems to shoot well , I'll let it alone . I haven't shot groups at any distance yet .

jimbires":10prgxlk said:
looks good Scotty . 400 yards with a 6 power scope is a hard way to go . about how big are your circles ?

you're running 175's at 3090 , so I guess I'm not out of line with the ABLR at 3140 . the bullet has a fairly short bearing surface . it shows no pressure , seems to shoot well , I'll let it alone . I haven't shot groups at any distance yet .

I could see that being just fine since it has less bearing surface. I have had 0 issues getting 3100 from H1000, RL33 and Retumbo. I love the cartridge, I had to shut about it since most were probably getting tired of hearing about.

My adage about the 7mm Mashburn is it runs a 175/180 grain bullet the same speed a 300 Weatherby does a 200 with less recoil and great ballistics.

Back