nosler 2nds

Here's what can happen when you shoot those darn rotten 2nds!!

DSC00663.jpg

Excellent group. I have an old Colt Sauer in 300 win mag. I will certainly try that load.How far are you seating it off of the riflings?

kraky

Very Nice!
That load is the magic load in the 300 Win Mag. It shoots lights out for everyone! Well under MOA in 3 different rifles that I loaded for.

JD338

.405---my gun has a ton of freebore. My clip doesn't let me past 3.350.
I'm guessing that the bullet jump was probably .080 to possibly .1".
Lots of freebore doesn't bother this particular gun a bit....and it shoots many bullets in different wts and with different powders to virtually the same point of impact. I guess I got a lucky gun. It weighs 7#'s 2 oz with scope....had I spent $2000 for a custom and it shot this way I would have been thrilled....let alone a $600 off the shelf factory rifle!! WOOOHOOO!

I tried some of the 180 gr. Accund seconds today in my 300 RUM. I swear I spent the best part of an hour trying to post the pictures,again. The Accubonds printed an inch to the left and the AccuBond seconds printed and inch to the right at 200 yards. The groups were pretty good for me (that's why I tried so hard to post the pictures) at .5" with the accubonds and .8" with the seconds at 200 yards. Yes I had witnesses at the range!
The point of the post is that the best I can figure is that the cannelure in the seconds (over runs) changed the contour of the bullet slightly and consequently changed the OAL in relationship to the lands. The accuracy was about the same but the center of impact was shifted. So if you mix firsts and seconds you could see a difference albeit still within the kill zone out to about 300 yards. It was an interesting study with a very unexpected outcome. I thought the two bullets would have the same point of impact. The rifle , being new to me, took about 3 shots to settle down after a real thorough cleaning but seems to be a keeper. It may replace my 338 RUM for elk/deer hunting this year as partner to the 375 RUM.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Back