Nosler BT Seating Depth/Jump

old_school_guy

Beginner
Jan 8, 2017
I'm going to load some 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips for a 7mm-08 this weekend and was wondering on bullet seating depth. Any of you guys load these bullets and if so, what seems to be the best "jump" for maximum accuracy? I don't want to shoot all my bullets up experimenting with various seating depths and was hoping to start with a optimal depth. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The rule of thumb, and it holds for BT and PT bullets as well, is to minimize the jump to the lands. Ten thousandths off the lands is fairly common. Monolithic and bonded core bullets generally do best with more jump to the lands.

I have had good accuracy loading the BT .010-.020" off the lands in several cartridges.

JD338

I like to be at least .020 to .025 off the lands for hunting loads. Reason is its easy to really slam a second round in upon the kill, and that can be enough to jam the bullet into the leade. No real biggy, just a quirk of mine.

I try to start all my reloading at .020 off the lands. Then move back in .030 to. 040 increments.

I have had best results being between 10 and 20 thousands off the lands in a number of different calibers. Can't remember off the top of my head but in my 96 Mauser 6.5x55 with the 120 BT it has to jump a mile to the lands. I load to OAL of 3.050 which is a long as will work through the magazine but it still shoots bug holes jumping that far.

Back