Nosler Problem

Hank Hunter

Beginner
May 14, 2006
This is a good problem !!! My 270wsm shoots both 140 ab and 140 np very well, difference in 3 shot group is never more than 1/4 inch at 100 yds. ??? is. which one is better for deer at ranges between 75 and 150 yds at 270wsm velocities ?

Yep, you have a decision to make. FWIW, I only shoot 140AB out of my 270WSM. I do have loads developed for the 150PT and 160PT, by like I mentioned, I have settled on the 140AB exclusively.

As for which one is better, well each has its own characteristics that you need to decide which suits you.

I think the Partition would work better at under 150 yards. I would expect full expansion and the 60-70% weight retension leaving a smaller bullet dia. to exit. The AccuBond being new but i will go out on a limb here i expect it at that range to expand more and exit living a larger exit wound may be excesive damging more meat than needed. For shots past 150-200 yards I would say the AccuBond would be better for deer.

Fine tuning or splitting hairs? There both great bullets for deer in the 270 wsm or 270win.

Your " problem" has brought me a problem. I have to load for a brother in law that just picked up a 270wsm. What load/s are you using, if you don't mind sharing that info.

Long

Longwinters, I am using 64.5g of RL22 behind both noslers with wlrm primers. Remember the golden rule work up to these loads and check for pressure signs. I had tight extraction with 65g. I also find Imr 7828ssc works very well in my 270wsm with 140 and 150g bullets

Choosing between the Partition and the AccuBond is like choosing between children. Both bullets need to have no less than 1800fps for an impact velocity. The AccuBond is ideal around 3000 fps maximum while the Partition can hit at a little faster velocity. This probably is not much of a problem since your muzzle velocity is about 3200. Take it for what it is worth. If it were me I would choose the AccuBond because they are less expensive.

Back