Not Skunked - Cow Horns - Meat In The Freezer

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Well I am not skunked but it is not a wall hanger either. In Mississippi on the Management area I hunt in, they have developed a way to get rid of the genetic inferior deer. If a buck has one beam over 15" and a shorter beam with no points they are legal deer called "cull deer". They take the jaw bone out and the brain stem so they can check for what we all call Mad Cow Disease.

He was 3 1/2 to 4 years old according to the game warden that took the jaw and brain stem. He said he was glad I took him out and wish more would do so when they see them so they could have more consistent horn growth and structure.

This was on that gas line right-a-way. When I saw him I said that is one ugly looking set of horns. Then when I continued to look, I realized he was a cull deer with almost a 17" one beam and the other one was about 8".

I knew he was over 320yds because I had ranged a place close to where he came out. Well the 257Wby is really flat shooting. I put the cross hairs on his chest and pulled the trigger and it was like he was hit by lightening.
When I got to him I turned and ranged back to my shooting position and it was 354yds.

Well, he is not for the wall, but he is in the freezer and will be for the table. :grin:

Maybe when I go and hunt with GB300wm I will find a nice one.

That .257 Wby is one mighty fine deer killing cartridge!

Congrats on the venison, and on you taking a "bad one" out of the gene pool.

bullet,

Congratulations on your "cull" buck. Nice shooting. Glad you were able to use your 257 Weatherby. The bullet family will eat good this winter. :lol:

JD338

Nice shooting bullet. I had a feeling that today was going to produce for you. Very fine shot indeed. Congratulations and now we'll see if we can get some more shots on the other side of the river. :grin:

Hey, meat in the freezer and you got to squeeze the trigger. That is quite the antler length for a cow horn, and quite an old deer from where I come from. Congratulations on a successful hunt.

Long

GB300wm":1cr03okx said:
Nice shooting bullet. I had a feeling that today was going to produce for you. Very fine shot indeed. Congratulations and now we'll see if we can get some more shots on the other side of the river. :grin:

Thank you GB300wm, yes, I am looking so forward to being there and hunting with you. Around your area is were I first started shooting, getting serious about hunting and addicted to guns. Your side of the river by the way is much better than where my side is for hunting deer.

longwinters":2mvq12fz said:
Hey, meat in the freezer and you got to squeeze the trigger. That is quite the antler length for a cow horn, and quite an old deer from where I come from. Congratulations on a successful hunt.

Long

Meat in the freezer was important because Nancy and I as do our grandchildren do love to eat deer meat. Now if I had been able to get a doe and fill that tag I would have passed on this boy hoping a better buck would have come across the gas-line some time before the day ended. But as you said longwinters (I really like your user name) I had a chance to put meat in the freezer and of course squeeze the trigger on my 257Wby. I am thinking of given my 257Wby a name. You know, like "my AT&T rifle" - "Reach Out And Touchem" or "Mercury" because it sure gets there quick.

Good deal...Let me know if you need any help! :lol: :lol: :lol:

POP":22lh5a1u said:
Good deal...Let me know if you need any help! :lol: :lol: :lol:

POP, I could use some help coming up with a name for my 257Wby you know something cool. :grin:

Death ray

Lightning rod/stick

Quick kill

Delta Foxtrot = Bang Flop

Speed Demon

No chance

Artemis---Greek Goddess of the Hunt

2 late (for the game that is) :lol:

Just off the top of my noggin!

POP":37khf8ei said:
Death ray

Lightning rod/stick

Quick kill

Delta Foxtrot = Bang Flop

Speed Demon

No chance

Artemis---Greek Goddess of the Hunt

2 late (for the game that is) :lol:

Just off the top of my noggin!

I came up with Mercury, Death Ray, Sting Ray, Lightening Bolt and my favorite so far is Killer Bee. Hey, guys help out with a vote. My 300Wby is Thor's Hammer, my 450Marlin is Odin, my 30-06 is Beartooth and my 22-250 French Fry.

Good job bullet. I had 14 does and fawns around me this afternoon...with the Bucks chasing I thought I was gonna get lucky. Guess I got tom.

bullet,

Sounds like fun and good eats.
I used to call my 257 Wby. "Chain Lightening" cause it was fast and permanent.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Back