not sure whats going on!

Ridge_Runner

Handloader
Sep 29, 2006
all the new cartridges coming out, will they fall the way of the 25 wssm? bought one years ago is a wonderful rifle to shoot, shoots awesome, and kills deer like the hammer of thor out to 500 yards, brass got hard to find, then after a couple years ammo got expensive,, just before it became extinct. I would like to buy a 6mm ARC upper for an extra lower I have laying around but how long before components become unavailable? I have barely been able to find enough primers to load what I have now! whats your thoughts?

6mm ARC is not nearly as proprietary as 25wssm. It is a slightly different 6mm grendel and 6.5mm grendel probably isn't going away completely anytime soon.

all the new cartridges coming out, will they fall the way of the 25 wssm? bought one years ago is a wonderful rifle to shoot, shoots awesome, and kills deer like the hammer of thor out to 500 yards, brass got hard to find, then after a couple years ammo got expensive,, just before it became extinct. I would like to buy a 6mm ARC upper for an extra lower I have laying around but how long before components become unavailable? I have barely been able to find enough primers to load what I have now! whats your thoughts?
You will always be able to get components.
The ease of which is an issue but they will be out there.

It's a win today who cares about tomorrow mentality in the industry.

The WSSM offerings were a great idea...but...

Like with cars there are only so many drivers...(GM could never understand that. Had a talk with Rick Wagoner about that)
There are only so many shooters...
Someone can come out with the latest greatest but there's only so much consumer money to pull from...

I would say this...

The more exotic the cartridge the more I'd think twice.

WSSM's will always be available as that was Winchester's baby and as long as Olin keeps on keeping on WSSM brass can be had

6 ARC ....i just don't know

Just like the complaints about 224V! Big car salesman pitch then gets dropped without support. Either lack of factory ammo and/or brass.

Get you an ARC RR. Ain’t nothing to neck down Lapua or whoever’s great brass from the 6.5 Grendel.

I love the ARC. I’ve been shooting a 18” upper for awhile and cannot get enough. Howa just finally released their 6 ARC Carbon Stalkers at 4.25lbs and I had to have one I love the ARC so much. Such a little ballistic animal. 105-108’s at 2700+ are really pretty capable.

I kinda think if the ARC as a 5.56 with a little more oooomph!

its not just the ARC, seems like something shoots very well in something, you either buy aa lifetime supply or your SOL, as oof right now here is what I struggle to find
240 gr. xtp 50 cal sabots
H4895 powder
any federal 210 0r 215 primers
nosler 6mm 95 gr ballistic tips
6mm brass
20 tac brrass
6mm ppc brass
and this is just the tip of the iceberg

3 months ago after looking for 2 years I finally purchased 8 pounds of H4350, price was 297 bucks, was at a shop yesterday that had a jug for 400 bucks, 50 BUCKS A POUND?

My prediction -

The 6ARC isn't going anywhere
The 7PRC will be a flash in the pan and end up like the 7WSM (which is a really great cartridge too)
The 6.5RPM will die in the starting blocks
Virtually everything "magnum" will wither as better bullets and powders are developed, negating their benefit
The .308 will see a big resurgence and regain the "Heavyweight" title again

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Haven't seen any H4895 in 2 yrs. Dan.

It's around here, but isn't cheap. I picked up a jug here local right when things were getting edgy and powder had taken it's first significant price jump. Was up at the time, but seems cheap now. Paid $238 for it. Just finished up a 1 lb can and broke into that jug right before hunting season. Will be a sad day when I'm down to the last lb of that powder, I like it a lot where I use it.

OR H4198! I'm not crying about it, cause I do have 1680 andRL10 for 45-70. I might have to try some N100 powders.

Not a powder I currently use, but I keep tabs on what's around and I haven't seen it either. IMR 4198 is at several shops, but not H4198. Both good powders where applicable.

3 months ago after looking for 2 years I finally purchased 8 pounds of H4350, price was 297 bucks, was at a shop yesterday that had a jug for 400 bucks, 50 BUCKS A POUND?
Wether it’s a local purchase or online with ship/hazmat , $50/lb is the new norn.

Wether it’s a local purchase or online with ship/hazmat , $50/lb is the new norn.

It's hanging low to mid $40's here for most powders which is still too high IMO but if a person would need it, they need it. I'm not buying and don't need it, but I will eventually. I'm hoping things will have settled down by then but who knows for sure? It could be worse than now price wise.

It's hanging low to mid $40's here for most powders which is still too high IMO but if a person would need it, they need it. I'm not buying and don't need it, but I will eventually. I'm hoping things will have settled down by then but who knows for sure? It could be worse than now price wise.
Right now, Cabela’s provides free ship to store with no shipping or hazmat fees. Order online, pay for powder, pick it up in store.

Back