O A L gauge

I have never used one and get phenomenal accuracy out of my rifles.
Now, that said I do know others that swear by them.

I have the stoney point guage. Even though I use it I do not know that it is the end all of finding good accuracy. Although for me, shooting mostly sako and tikka, the magazine is the limiting factor not the chamber. Typically I go with Saami lengths and get very good results.

Long

I also do not use one and get great accuracy from my rifles. I always load as close to the lands as I can or what the magazine will allow.

I would say save the money and spend it o more Nosler bullets. :wink:

JD338

I have both the Stoney Point Comparator and Head Space Gauge and I use them ALL the time. I don't know why it took me so long to invest in them. You can do without them, but I guarantee that if you get them, you will not be sorry. They are definitely worth the small investment, especially if you load for several calibers and bullet styles/weights. Bullet seating without the comparator is problematic because of the different bullet shapes and tip distortions. If you want to duplicate your favorite loads, doing so (especially distance from the lands), is almost impossible without measuring from the bullet ogive. While I agree that you can get acceptable accuracy without them, as I said, you will not wish you hadn't bought them.

Blaine

The OAL guages by themselves do very little, since tip deformation and ogive variance mean the Jump to Lands will also differ. You might get a fine, accurate measurement, then be unable to translate it into a usable measurement in your seating die. You use the SP OAL Gauge to find the lands, then the Comparator to translate the cartridge-head-to-ogive into inches so that it's repeatable. The RCBS Precision Mic works similarly, but instead of inches, you get a relative measure from the zero-scribed line on the Precsion Mic.

I use the RCBS Precision Mic in preference to my Stoney Point OAL Gauges, but the SP Comparator is very valuable.

I consider the Jump To Lands to be a critical measure in reloading, and use both meathods as well as the traditional lands marks on a bullet on each new rifle to determine the Zero lands measure.

You can get by without them, but I enjoy using them.

Jaywalker

I use the Stoney Point OAL guage and am quite satisfied with it. It was easy enough to learn to use. How effective is it? I don't really know for certain. There are a number of methods we can use for determining the over all length. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Back