Of all your rigs

Aussie Wanderer

Beginner
May 5, 2022
Of all your rigs, is there one cartridge you just really don’t like loading for. For me it used to be the 22.250 before I got rid of it. Liked the cartridge but case stretch was painful.

glad I'm not alone.
7mm-08; just didn't enjoy it.
I loved the gun, but hated reloading for it. Sent it on its way fairly quickly

Another question might be, why did you not like reloading for particular cartridges?
The 2 I mentioned was because of crushing the mouth mainly due to bullets doing it. Flat-based were the worse culprit.

I don't enjoy handling the tiny cases and bullets for the 204 Ruger & 223 Rem.

But I like those little, light recoiling, accurate cartridges! It's worth the trouble.

Sometimes after I finish a loading session with the little rascals, I'll immediately load some 30-06, 375 H&H or 45-70, something with a little size to it! :)

Guy

Wouldn't say dislike, and I don't own one, but load for it. But the 17 Hornet is a meticulous little cartridge to load for. I'd say the average of load data is just 8/10'th of a grain between minimum and maximum, and some powders are as little as 3/10'th between start and max. Just a 10'th of a grain can take it from good to wild.

Headspaces off the rim but I set my die to bump .002 on fireformed cases to let it headspace off the shoulder. Shoots better and more consistent for me and gives it just a touch more case capacity which helps settle down minute differences in powder charges.

That teeny tiny bullet is very critical about seating procedures. Took me a bit to learn some tricks with it. Once everything is figured out with it, it is a cartridge that routinely shoots under 1/2" in the Savage M25 that I worked with. Shot groups with it down in the 2's.

Fascinating little cartridge that my one buddy uses to knock off fox at distances way farther than what I would've thought it being effective. Meticulous to load for, but I like it.

22-250 and 243 Win. Two of my favorites to shoot but not to reload. The taper of the case need a bit more elbow grease to resize.
I use Lapua brass and only neck size my 22-250 and 243 until they need the shoulder bumped, then I use a Redding body die. Easy and the brass lasts along time. It only took me 50 years of reloading to figure that out and some helpful advice from someone on this forum.

Have to say the 348 Win...was getting more crushed case mouths and wrinkled necks/shoulders with that one.

Have to say the 348 Win...was getting more crushed case mouths and wrinkled necks/shoulders with that one.

?? I wonder why? I never ran into that a single time that I recall. Sounds like oil getting on that region of the case. The case does have a really big rim and a generous body taper so that combo tilts the case heavily towards the front when using something like a case lube pad which is how I lube cases. I make sure I keep any pressure towards the rear of the case when rolling them back and forth.

I’ve never been fond of semi-automatic handgun rounds that headspace on the case mouth. Maybe theres a trick to it that I haven’t figured out but they are temperamental with me. A dedicated taper crimp die has helped immensely.

Back