Older Federal brass

Idaho_Elk_Huntr

Beginner
Feb 5, 2009
I just purchased 40 boxes of Federal Gold Metal Match brass from a man and it has been boxed up since 1996. Anyone know anything about their brass in this time period? Should this be some of their better brass?

I only used the 30-06 Federal Gold Medal. I had no problems with it. It was good brass. I don't believe you will be disappointed.

Someone told me it was really soft but I cant see it. I only load my brass 3 times then hoard it away in case it gets scarce or things get tight in the future.

Would you care to share. That's 4000 pieces :wink: I'm down to 3 boxes I believe. The best American made brass there is. Too bad they were discontinued.

As long as it isn't corroded, it should be fine/ Remember to start low and work up.

JD338

I have loaded Winchester brass up to ten times before discarding (300 WSM and 356, in particular). I have similar experience with Remington (280). The Gold Medal was better than either of these. I think you scored big time.

Supposedly the newer Federal brass is a little softer than the older stuff is, but when the change took place, I don't know.

Run a box through your sizing die, and prime it. That will tell you the story.

I've reloaded Remington brass up to 18 times. I lost about 10% of it to loose primer pockets, but the rest is still going strong.

I have some newer federal brass, and some of those primer pockets are loose after a single firing with a factory load. :(

Back