Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 284 Winchester-150gr

• 30-06 Springfield-165gr

• 338-06 A-Square-210gr

• Total voters
Actually, I would use either my 280AI or my 338RUM, depends on the game hunted.

JD338

25-06 has benn proven in my book by my son he killed deer elk and antelope with 120 grn

None of the above. For all around western work for antelope, deer, black bear, elk, moose, and the once in a lifetime chance at sheep, goat, or bison I'd move up to one of the magnums. Caliber is not that important these days with premium bullets, but I'd start at 270 and stop at 308. The problem is drop and wind drift. Smaller catridges when placed right work, but occassionaly wind is not compensated for coreectly and you wind up hitting an elk in the paunch. With the flatter magnums your room for error is greater as they shoot flatter and buck wind better. If you haven't seen this than you probably haven't been hunting much, in which case you better use enough gun.

Brad

why would you say go to maguman on a antelope or deer people have been killing elk deer and bison for years with smaller calbers like the 30-06 and i have seen what a 25-06 will do to a elk deer and antelope with a 120 grn Partition it killes all of the above dead just as good as my 30 win mag wich i will never use on a deer or antelope i have a 25-06 for that. in my opinion to may people are over killing deer and antelope useing magum rifels i use my 300 win on elk for my long shots i take on them 400 plus yards

You are correct, a 25-06 with the right bullet placed in the right place at adequate velocity will do the job. The problems I see are for new inexperienced hunters who head to the mountains/plains with a 25-06/270 etc and get excited when they see their first bull elk/deer/antelope and place the shot in the wrong place or at the wrong angle. A magnum helps compensate for inexperince as we can all talk about waiting for the perfect shot, but it all goes out the window in the field. Everyone has their limit or perceived breaking point where they'll try a difficult shot on a game animal....everybody. For some it may be the biggest elk/deer/antelope they've ever seen. This is where the extra punch of a magnum makes sense. It helps compensate for errors in the field. Don't get me wrong, I love the 25-06 for antelope, but an all around elk round for big bulls under all conditions it aint.

Brad

OUt to normal shooting ranges, up and out to 300 yards, drop and wind drift is negligible. It means nothing. After that, if one has a click type set up its still negligible. Wind drift can also be accounted for by clicks. If one does not have a click type set up, or a mil dot type scope, in my opinion they have no business shooting over about 400 yards. One can not consistently hit anything by "holding over" With clicks it doesn't matter if your shooting a 308 with 200g bullets, or a 300 RUM with 165's. Of course the RUM is a laser compared to that 308, but at 600 yards with clicks, you still range and click and hold dead on with either of them. Deer dont requirea magnum. I have taken several at 500-600 with a 25-06 and 115g btips. They all took 1 shot and most dropped where they stood. Elk also do not requirea magnum if the range is 500 yards or lower. After 500, its nice to have that magnum for the power, considering one can place the shot where they need to. I'll say it once, and I"ll say it again, magnums only give you a couple hundred more yards over standard calibers, that is if you are able to outshoot the standard calibers range. Magnums are not needed for 90% of the hunters out there because they cant shoot past 500 anyways. And, a lot of hunters cant shoot magnums as well as standard calibers. So that brings me to another point, a gut shot animal with a magnum is doing you no better then a good shot with a standard caliber. My philosophy is that if you can shoot a magnum accurately, then by all means use one, but if you cant, you probly shouldn't be using one.

I would choose a 7mm Rem Mag or a 300 Win Mag. If I had one, I wouldn't buy the other. They are just more of the same in my opinion.

FH

I have hunted Western Canada - Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia - for better than 30 years.

I have shot rifles that have ranged from a 30-30 to a 303 Brit, a 270, a 30-06 and 300 Winchester. I also had a 264 Winchester along the way and topped out shooting a 340 Weatherby before I came to the understanding that shear "horsepower" is over-rated and "shoot-ability" is much more important than maximum velocity. I then shot a 338 Winchester and a 30-06 as my "main" rifles for a number of years before having a 338-06 built a few years ago.

With all that said I have to admit the 338-06 may be the most versatile cartridge I have ever used for the type of hunting I do. Loaded with 200 grain Ballistic Tips @ 2800 fps it is all I need for deer, sheep and caribou out to the far side of 400 yards. With 225 Accubonds I would have no hesitation shooting bigger critters - moose and elk - out to similar distances. For short to moderate range , say up to 250 yards, a 250 grain Partition at 2550 fps is all I need for bison or large bears. (Although if I ever win the bison lottery it will be all the excuse I need to buy the 375 H&H I have wanted for years. ;) )

So for me the choice is easy - 338-06 all the way! 8)

None of the above. 270 WSM or 7mm WSM. With either you can go light bullet and LONG range for antelope - and heavy enough bullet for elk.

I have to agree with JD338. I'm a huge .280 fan. I've grown up and lived in the NW corner of CO. I've seen poor shot placement with every caliber imaginable, and a poor shot is a poor shot. I generally hunt elk during archery season, but.........my pick .280 or 7-08. I've taken elk with both as well as the .260. Placement is everything!
Remingtonman is correct.......what ever round one picks, just make sure one is comfortable and CONFIDENT with it. The CO regulation book only requires a 85gr bullet for elk and moose....can anyone say .243?
Shoot straight guys, good luck and keep the freezer full.

257 Roberts loaded with 115 PT's have taken deer, elk, coyote and black bear. Is it "one gun for the West" ? Who knows, but in my aresenal it takes its place as my smallest cartridge, as well as the most fun to shoot...

Of the ones you've listed, I like the 338-06.

But I own a Mod 70 in 300 Weatherby and will never think twice about using it WITH AUTHORITY on ANY game found in this hemisphere!

What year is it? See below, it's been doing the job for 100years. I think 100years from now it'l still do the job. capt david

JD,

What do you whack with that 338 RUM?
Isn't that a shoulder pulverizer?
Please excuse my ignorance.

I would say a lot of it depends on how far your wanting to shoot. If your only wanting to shoot out to 400 yards or so, any of the calibers you listed will work great. Elk, bears or deer. If you wish to shoot farther, a magnum might be in order. If one can shoot a magnum accurately, I feel its a better choice for elk and bears at long range. With that said, a 270 or 30-06 has plenty of power for elk or bears out to 500 yards, or deer out to 700, which is farther then most can shoot accurately. So take your pick based on how far you wish to shoot.

Reloader28,

To date, I have used the 338 RUM to take a 5 pt Bull Elk at 350 yds, 3x4 Mule Deer at 140 yds, 4x4 Mule Deer at 40 yds, 9 pt WT Deer at 40 yds, and a Black Bear at 10 yds. All were DRT kills.
I have a Pachmyer Decelerator recoil pad so the recoil is not as bad as you might think.

I am going to start getting serious with that 6.5 JDJ pretty quick.

JD338

Yeah, I am a little anxious to hear your assessment of it.

I just got me a 280 Remington S.S. 24" Encore barrel in a trade. The barrel is NIB. I also got a totally customized Ruger 10/22 S.S. I'm excited.

Back