One rifle, One caliber

I only use the 180gr for my 300WM. I believe its the best bullet choice for the 300WM. I have some 200 loaded but never shot at big game. No need to either with the 180gr AB doing a great job on elk, moose, large bodied white tail and mulie deer, and bears.

The only reason for the 200gr and 150gr was for shooting at the range thru the chrony for comparison and possible use, especially the 150gr on deer.

Mighty Peace":1ofk2bns said:
I only use the 180gr for my 300WM. I believe its the best bullet choice for the 300WM. I have some 200 loaded but never shot at big game. No need to either with the 180gr AB doing a great job on elk, moose, large bodied white tail and mulie deer, and bears.

The only reason for the 200gr and 150gr was for shooting at the range thru the chrony for comparison and possible use, especially the 150gr on deer.

Yeah, I hear you! I like putting together "maybe someday" loads too.

What kind of speeds do you see over your chrony with 150's, out of curiousity?

My main load for my '06 has been 180-gn Accubonds and it has worked well for me. I am working up a 165-gn load for it right now that MIGHT unseat it as my general-purpose load for that rifle, since it really isn't my elk rifle anymore... I also have an excellent, very fast 150-gn AB load for it.

-jeff

personaly I like my remington sendero in .264 win mag with a 4-16-40mm weaver grand slam.

Hey Jeff,

I do not know the velocities right now as I do not have my own chrony. Hopefully come the new year. I borrowed one from the a local dealer after another person sold the one I ordered in, and only used it for my 270WSM with 140gr Accubonds and Retumbo powder. Once I get a chrony, I'll post the 150gr AB's out of my 300WM for you.

Mighty Peace":1s9b5u07 said:
Hey Jeff,

I do not know the velocities right now as I do not have my own chrony. Hopefully come the new year. I borrowed one from the a local dealer after another person sold the one I ordered in, and only used it for my 270WSM with 140gr Accubonds and Retumbo powder. Once I get a chrony, I'll post the 150gr AB's out of my 300WM for you.

Yeah, just curious. I'm getting 3100 fps with my 30-06 and i'm kind of curious how close I am to "actual" 300 mag speeds.

-jeff

For all the hunting I have left to do, and hopefully that will include one more plains game trip, I will stick with a hotrod 6.5 of some kind. They have performed well for me all my life and I don't think I will be switching anytime soon.

Jeff Olsen":3o6goojq said:
Mighty Peace":3o6goojq said:
Hey Jeff,

Yeah, just curious. I'm getting 3100 fps with my 30-06 and i'm kind of curious how close I am to "actual" 300 mag speeds.

-jeff

What is your load dude?

POP":96ho8zsm said:
Jeff Olsen":96ho8zsm said:
Mighty Peace":96ho8zsm said:
Hey Jeff,

-jeff

What is your load dude?

This is a maximum load, or maybe a little OVER book maximum, so the usual disclaimers apply: do not shoot this load without carefully working up to it in YOUR rifle! In fact, let me just say don't even try this load.

There, that should be enough disclaimers...

150-gn AccuBond;
62 Grains of good ol' H4350;
Winchester brass;
Federal 210 primer;
3.330 OAL

This load flattens the primers pretty good in my rifle. It is a maximum load. It's also accurate in my rifle.

My 30-06 has been rebarreled with a Pac-Nor Supermatch 22" barrel that happens to be FAST. Every load I shoot in it, comes in right at or just above what the reloading books say I should see as far as speed. It's my only rifle that actually achieves book velocities. I'm guessing a factory barrel would be slower AND most likely, this load would be too high-pressure for it.

For what it's worth, the Hogdon book shows this load to be right at 3100 fps... if I'm remembering right, and it's 22 F out so I'm not headed to my shop to check. :)

-jeff

Huh! I get a little under 3100 fps with 60 gr of H4350 and 150 BT's.

POP":683bu796 said:
Huh! I get a little under 3100 fps with 60 gr of H4350 and 150 BT's.

Wow! That's great. Glad to hear someone else is getting that; usually people think I'm lying when I say what my chrono tells me.

How long is your barrel? Ever tried going higher? I looked and 62 grains is the book max for H4350 in the Hodgon mini-book. It's way lower in the Nosler book IIRC.

I've been working, lately, on a 165-gn load. I think that's what I want for my one load for this rifle. Which is funny because I have that great 150-gn AB load and a good 180-gn AB load already worked up... what the heck, gives me something to do. I want to get proficient out to 400 yards (max) and the 165 seems like the way to go for that...

-jeff

Switch barrel is not out. Who the heck are you?

Besides some countries do allow extra barrels to not count as guns. What the heck do you think they buy the switch barrel guns for????

If I was to hunt everything but the largest bears( browns, polar) with the rifle, I would choose my .280AI and never blink an eye.

I would lean towards the 150 gr Nosler Partition if one bullet was the choice. I'm just getting ready to start playing with the Barnes TSX 140 grain bullet for the .280AI and see what it can do. The proof will lie in the results. The Partition has never failed me, ever. I'm just playing with other bullets becuase I love to play at the reloading bench.

In my honest opinion, the .280 AI is a soft 7mm Mag without the snap when fired. You can shoot this cartridge all day and still lift a glass of Johnny Black on the rocks at the end of the day with the same arm!!! :grin:

Browning A bolt ss stalker 338 win mag burris 3.5-10x50 should work on anything i'll hunt for

One rifle to do it all in north america......300 win mag with 200g partitions at 2900fps...One rifle to do it all world wide.....375 H&H 270gr TSX or 300gr Partition.

If I could only own one rifle setup, I think I would stick with my CZ 550 FS in 6.5x55. She's topped with a Weaver 3-10x40mm Grand Slam... She's a beauty, shoulders like a $$$ shotgun, and shoots like a dream. What can't the 6.5 x55 kill with the proper shot and bullet? Besides, no one said I couldn't have my .475 Linebaugh strapped to my hip!

Jim

When I was a teen ager, I thought I needed three rifles. A .270 Winchester for deer, a .243 Winchester for coyotes, and a .338 Winchester for elk. After working all summer, I discovered I had scraped up enough money for a used model 70 in .30-06, affectionately called "The General".

After 23 years of marriage and countless coyotes, deer, and the occasional elk falling to the General's bark, my wife and kids surprised me one christmas with a new rifle. A Winchester model 70 sporter with a Leopold 3-9X scope and chambered in, you guessed it, .30-06.

My favorite coyote and deer load is 62 grains of IMR 4350 pushing a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. My favorite elk load is 56 grains of IMR 4350 behind a 180 grain Nosler Partitian protected point. Both rifles shoot these loads well.

The General still accompanies me as a backup on mountain hunts. He can't stand to stay at home.

Gentlemen..........For over 35 years and CONTRARY TO MOST IF NOT ALL, I have hunted with only one rifle and only one caliber!!!!!!........A Weatherby Vanguard chambered in the 300 Win. Mag.!!!!..... BUT WAIT!!! I recently sold my beloved 300 rifle!!!...............I always keep my eye open to new innovations, designs, concepts, etc., and recently purchased a rifle which I like even more than my `ol favorite!!!! My new rifle can do anything in the hunting fields as the old one...... However, my new one is lighter, shorter, much easier to handle, gives better target acquistion for those shorter and quicker shots, is just as accurate, nearly equals the 300 Win. Mag. performance and was nominated for "rifle of the year" in either `05 or `06 by G&A!!!!!!!................My new little toy is the Ruger M77 Frontier 2, 16.5" barrel, chambered in the 300 WSM!!!!......UH OH!!!! I can hear it now!!! VELOCITY LOSS, VELOCITY LOSS!!!!!!......Oh really????.....My recent chrono results show a small percentage of velocity loss, which also supports the findings in an article by Dick Metcalf; currently on line at.....shootingtimes.com.....Click on "long guns" then scroll down.............The velocity loss is only 4.5%, from a barrel that is 31% shorter than the 24" tube????!!!!!...Oh yes!!!!.....My latest chrono results were,,,,,,,150 gr. @ 3185 fps. average (1.00" group),,,,,,,180 gr. @ 2994 fps. average (1.05" group), with NO pressure signs from either, meaning more velocity capability!!!!!!.... So! By changing the concept to a compact, I went from a 44.5" long 9 lb. 10 oz. rifle (with scope), to a 35.5" long 7lb. 5 oz. rifle (with scope), while maintaining, the same ballistic performance and accuracy!!!!....Not TOO bad out of a 16.5 incher!!!!!!.......I am now, a compact rifle fan!!! However, in case of any interest amongst you out there?? Ruger no longer chambers the 300 WSM in their compact Frontier line! What a wonderful, sweet handling and powerful little gem it is!!!.... TOO BAD for you compact rifle fans!!! You`d really love this one!!!

Back